AuthorTopic: The safest place in england.  (Read 11887 times)

Offline MudRat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
The safest place in england.
« on: September 01, 2007, 18:51:37 »
Why do i always see the police in Tescos, buying sandwiches, quick poll, to ensure its not just me!

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 19:17:18 »
We always see them in our garage, buying sandwiches and choccy
 :lol:
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

wrecker

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 19:17:51 »
nope but always in the car park eating them :roll:  :?

Offline Keri

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 19:30:22 »
AShby de la zouch tesco is like a bobby station i havn't been there when there hasn't been police there. Sometimes one police car goes as another one is arriving :D There all there buying there munchies it would seem. But if often thought this must be the safest spot in england LOL

littlepow

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 20:04:53 »
Use to see them in Norwich Tesco on a night in large groups, doing food shopping!

Suppose they got to eat some time.

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 20:11:01 »
Quote from: "Jake"
We always see them in our garage, buying sandwiches and choccy
 :lol:

...that sounds like my brother  :roll:
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline MudRat

Attack Member
e
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 20:48:48 »
Buying food on Duty, thats a waste of taxpayers money, no wonder the streets aren't safe, have they never heard of packed lunches!!  :shock:

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 21:39:32 »
Alfreton Tesco is directly opposite the Police station  :roll:
So a definite yes, they are regulars  :lol:
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 22:25:19 »
Oh dear god... do I have to answer this?????

Oh there is so much I can say.... I'm.... holding....back.... aaaghhhh :wink:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 22:59:19 »
They're there to protect the Savlon  :wink:  :lol:
Lee from Brum

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 10:29:05 »
they have to buy their food from somewhere dont they?? ....
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline MudRat

Attack Member
e
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 11:13:05 »
of course, but in full uniform and in cop cars!

Offline Keri

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 11:32:03 »
Quote from: "TDi90"
they have to buy their food from somewhere dont they?? ....

I don't think anyone saying they shouldn't be at tesco (shouldnt be buying food) or anything i think its just more humour that its not jsut one tesco and why tesco not sainburys or morrisons lol

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 11:37:39 »
i saw a copper walking down the road few days ago, he might have been lost though.

wizard :twisted:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Re: e
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 11:43:24 »
As one of the afore mentioned supposed wasters of tax payers money, I would like to set a few things straight.
1) We, contrary to popular belief, are human, and have to eat and drink the same as you do.
2) If food is purchased, we pay for it out of our wages, not from the tax payers purse.
3) It is not uncommon, when on rural sectors, to have a patrol area of 300+ miles, so the only place that may be open is the nearest 24hr shop, unless of course we should break into the nearest KFC or poach our scoff from the nearest field.
4) There are very few Police stations with kitchen/canteen facilities, as they have been closed for varying reasons including Health and Safety, namely we are not qualified to cook our own meals. Their ruling,not mine. I am fully trained to drive at +150mph to catch criminals, deal with armed villains, be social workers to dysfunctional families and nurse maid drunks, but it is too risky for me to boil an egg.
5) I along with numerous other officers, always 'lunch in the office', namely in the car, as we are then out on the street able to respond and not stuck in the Nick getting jumped on by pen wielding civvies and egotistical supervisors.
6) Most 24hr shops tend to attract a higher number than average amount of loonies, drunks, and weirdos at night. Hence patrols are encouraged to attend there as a crime deterrent.
7) In relation to the bit about uniforms and cars, perhaps we should all strip off and go there on unicycles?

Hopefully that will clear up a few things. I along with the vast majority of other Police Officers have a difficult enough job to do dealing with all that Society can come up with.
Perhaps those officers that you have seen have just come back from a messy accident caused by some moron thinking he is the greatest driver in the world, or comforting some old lady that has had her life destroyed by burglars, or facing a knife wielding cretin that thinks he is Napoleon?
Think about what you don't see us doing, before you have a go about what you do see us doing.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 12:12:30 »
When I used to for work Express Bitterne, would get the local lot from the station come in on their way to work to stock the rest room up. Huge pile of random munchies, tea and a LOT of instant coffee :)

I personally have no issues, as LSP said, they are only human and I know I've stopped off to get food on long runs while at work too. Quite often they'd combine it with picking up the previous nights video nasty from our CCTV
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline diggerdog36

Attack Member
  • I fixed my CD auto changer!!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2007, 13:00:50 »
We passed a police car a few days ago parked over the A696 near Newcastle Airport, on a bridge, I swore he was asleep, so I turned round and went back, parked up beside him, sure enough, Bobby was snoozing!!
2000 W Discovery Td5 ES

2" lift, Superwinch Epi9.5,  Mantec Snorkel, General Grabber AT2

Avoid employing unlucky people......simply bin half the applications!!!

Offline Keri

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 13:49:17 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"
As one of the afore mentioned supposed wasters of tax payers money, I would like to set a few things straight.
1) We, contrary to popular belief, are human, and have to eat and drink the same as you do.
2) If food is purchased, we pay for it out of our wages, not from the tax payers purse.
3) It is not uncommon, when on rural sectors, to have a patrol area of 300+ miles, so the only place that may be open is the nearest 24hr shop, unless of course we should break into the nearest KFC or poach our scoff from the nearest field.
4) There are very few Police stations with kitchen/canteen facilities, as they have been closed for varying reasons including Health and Safety, namely we are not qualified to cook our own meals. Their ruling,not mine. I am fully trained to drive at +150mph to catch criminals, deal with armed villains, be social workers to dysfunctional families and nurse maid drunks, but it is too risky for me to boil an egg.
5) I along with numerous other officers, always 'lunch in the office', namely in the car, as we are then out on the street able to respond and not stuck in the Nick getting jumped on by pen wielding civvies and egotistical supervisors.
6) Most 24hr shops tend to attract a higher number than average amount of loonies, drunks, and weirdos at night. Hence patrols are encouraged to attend there as a crime deterrent.
7) In relation to the bit about uniforms and cars, perhaps we should all strip off and go there on unicycles?

Hopefully that will clear up a few things. I along with the vast majority of other Police Officers have a difficult enough job to do dealing with all that Society can come up with.
Perhaps those officers that you have seen have just come back from a messy accident caused by some moron thinking he is the greatest driver in the world, or comforting some old lady that has had her life destroyed by burglars, or facing a knife wielding cretin that thinks he is Napoleon?
Think about what you don't see us doing, before you have a go about what you do see us doing.

I didn't think anyone had said the police are wasting tax payers money  :?

Like i said above i thought it was jsut more humours fro the why tesco aspect.

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 14:25:42 »
I don't think we should go around bobby bashing as such, not that this thread really is, its just what pobs have seen! but the americans are ripe for it :lol:  :lol:
on a recent trip I even saw a "Dunkin Doughnuts" that had a police station in it!!! I kid you not :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :shock:

unfortunately I didn't have my camera at the time
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 18:14:28 »
Quote from: "Keri"

I didn't think anyone had said the police are wasting tax payers money  :?

Like i said above i thought it was jsut more humours fro the why tesco aspect.

Hi Keri, this is a quote from further up the thread

Buying food on Duty, thats a waste of taxpayers money, no wonder the streets aren't safe, have they never heard of packed lunches

Nuff said

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 18:33:53 »
LSP...I am with you.
I would take it as a positive that you (police personnel) are 'seen' out in uniform, whether it's buying lunch, having a break or patrolling.  The more you guys & girls are visible the better for all.  I would rather you were on the streets than in doing paperwork  :roll:
My brother spent 7yrs in the Met on armed response, anit terrorism, fast cars, area car, bobby on beat etc & moaned constantly about paperwork & red tape.  He's now Devon 4x4's local copper in North Devon so life's a little quieter now for him...I'm sure he'd move his office into D44's if he had half the chance!! ...now's there's a though...D44 tray backed 110 turned into a fast response vehicle   :twisted:

http://www.devon4x4.com/gallery/photos/110_trayback_build_12/4/e8308b5d4479741db7665039bde4e35f.jpg/
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline Biodiesel-Bev

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 20:08:44 »

Well said, M'Lord.     =D>  =D>  =D>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*******    Greenworld Biodiesel Ltd, Brook Mill, Carr Lane, Slaithwaite, Huddersfield HD7 5BQ     *******

www.greenworldbiodiesel.co.uk ~ enqs@greenworldbiodiesel.co.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The use of vegetable oils for engine fuels may seem insignificant today.  But such oils may become, in the course of time, as important as petroleum and the coal tar products of the present day."  - Rudolph Diesel (1858-1913)

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 20:55:45 »
Aggghhh Thanks LSP, I couldn't have said it so well....

The simple fact is when you see a police car you look at it... and the same with an officer in uniform, we tend to stand out like a saw thumb, when you are a the supermarket do you say...

"Look at that CPS lawyer at Tescos again getting his lunch, what a waste of taxpayers money"

Hmmm I think not... :wink:

Just remember we are human and isn’t it better to see a Police officer/PCSO having lunch in public than at the nik where no one can see him or her.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 21:24:49 »
Well it keeps the scum from hanging round Tesco's . :D  :D
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 23:50:50 »

Quite surprisingly the NHS deems us to have  sufficient culinary skills to be allowed a Micro-wave & a sandwich-maker :shock:  :shock:
Although the toasters are all (supposed to be) Dualits - the clockwork ones that turn off rather than stay on for as long as the toast (unidentified carbon item) stays in it.

Unlike some of the numptys in the Doctors Mess (quite the literally correct title), who used to have indoor BBQ's if it rained!!!!!!!!!!
And then they'd get upset when the local Fire Brigade turned up & shouted loudly at them, whilst questioning their IQ & parentage

Whenever we get Police Officers in the department, be they interviewing assault/RTI/etc... victims, or with a 'in custody', we always try to make sure they're always looked after (tea & biscuits, etc....)
After all, they're only doing their job, like us & we never know if we'll need them in a rush

5) I along with numerous other officers, always 'lunch in the office', namely in the car, as we are then out on the street able to respond and not stuck in the Nick getting jumped on by pen wielding civvies and egotistical supervisors

Much like our (& your) parallell collegues in the big white vans with blue-lights (AKA; drunk-mobiles)

Most A&E departments also attract more than their fair share of the said 'special' members of society.

Now you're scaring us.................   ]
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Highlander1

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 00:40:27 »
OK here's my 2 bobs worth get a life and grow up.

I have had a car at my door for 7 of my 17 years in the plod  that has blue flashy lights and yellow stripes.

My kids leave for school at 8am on a bus they get back at 4pm. After I have gone to work.

I pass them in the car going to work I chose the job so what the [!Expletive Deleted!].

I work 7 days on 2 off. If I buy a sandwich or bag of chips the phone normally goes at that time so I go and deal with what ever leaving the snack in the bin on my way out. [!Expletive Deleted!] happens.

When do I stop for a break well I don't I eat on the run.

I have a 3 hour run to get from one side of my patch to the other. drive 300 odd miles a shift on single track roads.

I get home sometimes at 5 am after starting at 8am the previous morning so [!Expletive Deleted!] right I will sit in a lay-by and shut my eye lids for a few minutes in order to stop killing some other poor [person of questionable parentage] on the road.

Get a [!Expletive Deleted!] life. I get called out any moment of the given day and when my "police cars at home it says he's in go and ask for this or whinge about the neighbours [!Expletive Deleted!] hedge.

I sleep in a [!Expletive Deleted!] chair with my uniform hanging beside it for call outs and haven't touched alcohol in 6 years to be in a position to respond.

So please forgive me for loosing the [!Expletive Deleted!] plot now [throw it] off and let me have 5 minutes rest.

Go join the specials  Oh and by the way the blue black uniform thingy has a presence so when yer shopping in tescos the thieving bar stewards [throw it] off.

Do you have an hours meal break or even 30 minutes well then your a lucky bar Steward. If the bloody car wasn't on the yellow lines then it wouldn't be a response car.

Oh just parking the panda in the multi storey be back in 30 minutes if there's a shout I will try and get back from my lunch early. [!Expletive Deleted!] off.

Rant over my heart bleeds purple [throw it].
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 10:11:22 »
So well put Highlander1, the role of the highland bobby is very unique and often very lonely, so keep it up (P.S. next time I'm passing through to Skye to see my sister can you ignore my speed if I display my mudclub sticker??) :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thing is its very easy to bobbybash!!

As they are often public figures its when they do ordinary things we see them, as boggert said, I would rather they were visible doing the mundane than hidden away in a canteen eating! I worked for many years in residential social work, we too did not get a lunch break as such, we made food and sat with the kids to eat it, often incidents cropped up so you could not eat at all when on shift but that was just tough..

so yes, often when I go into tesco's there is a bobby in there, great, it means I am less likely to be mugged, have stuff stolen from my car, have my car stolen, or have the prices increase again due to shoplifting!!

so keep up the good work, you have my utmost respect because you get the sht from all sides, damned if you do, damned if you don't by joe public and grief from the bosses cos you've not filled in a pathetic bit of paper that keeps you in the station for an hour!!!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 18:33:35 »
Quote from: "Highlander1"
OK here's my 2 bobs worth get a life and grow up.

I have had a car at my door for 7 of my 17 years in the plod  that has blue flashy lights and yellow stripes.

My kids leave for school at 8am on a bus they get back at 4pm. After I have gone to work.

I pass them in the car going to work I chose the job so what the !Expletive Deleted!.

I work 7 days on 2 off. If I buy a sandwich or bag of chips the phone normally goes at that time so I go and deal with what ever leaving the snack in the bin on my way out. !Expletive Deleted! happens.

When do I stop for a break well I don't I eat on the run.

I have a 3 hour run to get from one side of my patch to the other. drive 300 odd miles a shift on single track roads.

I get home sometimes at 5 am after starting at 8am the previous morning so !Expletive Deleted! right I will sit in a lay-by and shut my eye lids for a few minutes in order to stop killing some other poor [person of questionable parentage] on the road.

Get a !Expletive Deleted! life. I get called out any moment of the given day and when my "police cars at home it says he's in go and ask for this or whinge about the neighbours !Expletive Deleted! hedge.

I sleep in a !Expletive Deleted! chair with my uniform hanging beside it for call outs and haven't touched alcohol in 6 years to be in a position to respond.

So please forgive me for loosing the !Expletive Deleted! plot now throw it off and let me have 5 minutes rest.

Go join the specials  Oh and by the way the blue black uniform thingy has a presence so when yer shopping in tescos the thieving bar stewards throw it off.

Do you have an hours meal break or even 30 minutes well then your a lucky bar Steward. If the bloody car wasn't on the yellow lines then it wouldn't be a response car.

Oh just parking the panda in the multi storey be back in 30 minutes if there's a shout I will try and get back from my lunch early. !Expletive Deleted! off.

Rant over my heart bleeds purple throw it.

Crikey I thought my 150 sq miles of beat was big! :shock:

You are right in everything you say, I think people are so quick to criticize what we do.

Offline discograham

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 20:23:48 »
But image and attitude count for so much, don't you think ?
And the old chestnut of  " just picked up someones brains " or " had to tell someone their child has died" ...well, there's only so much of that "feel sorry for me" bull that I can take...I've done it..it's not nice but get over it...it's part of the job so give over on the sympathy/shock angle will you... coppers these days are not what they used to be.

BUT...

They catch some toe-rag, and some shyster gets him off... or some social worker intervenes and the dim judiciary let them off with neary a slap... where is the job satisfaction in that ?

Or they catch someone the wrong skin colour to be prosecuted, lest the screaming lefties emerge from under their stones crying racial predjudice...

Police officers are targets of general hate and blamed for so much, and are used by the ignorant and ineducable as a vent for their inadequacies...

But the police don't help themselves one little bit.

In general they are rude, verbally bullying, and seem to think they can be  intimidating to whomsoever they wish just because they can... and how sarcastic they are... yet the moment you are sarcastic back it's " There's no need to take that tone with me Sir " and the veilled threats of arrest if you keep it up...

No, the police have a cushy little number on the whole... poor job satisfaction maybe, but it's not a hard job and I won't be kidded into believing otherwise... hell, I know enough good friends who are police officers and I KNOW what coppers are like...

Offended anyone enough yet ? No ? Well...let's get to the Tesco bit then shall we... I worked for Tesco for many, many years... the police used to turn up every night at every store I delivered to... sometimes they stayed for half an hour... sometimes more than three hours..and the store policy was let them have what they want free from the canteen...so don't try and tell me they pay... because I know they don't...I sat there with them often enough... sure, if a call came in then off they went...but they should have been out on the streets, doing their job, not flirting with the night staff, which they all seem very good at....

I really believe it's a power thing..."you can't touch me or say anything to me 'cos I'm a copper and will win in the end... 'cos I've got mates with pepper spray and 'cuffs"...

Don't even talk to me about response times.

Blue touch paper lit...  now standing well back... :wink:
*The grave of Karl Marx is just another communist plot*
*Racial prejudice is a pigment of the imagination*
*Last Tuesdays meeting of the apathy society has just been cancelled*

HORNET
Disco 300tdi ES, Rebel steering guard, QT diff guards, QT cones, Pro-comp ES9000 shocks, 2" lift, Extended stops,  Safari snorkel, 33/12.50/15 Khumo's, Greenway light bar, Rock and tree sliders, nice new door seals and an empty wallet.

MKMC

www.crag-uk.org

www.northants-green-lane.co.uk

www.northants4x4.com

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2007, 20:53:45 »
Quote from: "discograham"
But image and attitude count for so much, don't you think ?
And the old chestnut of  " just picked up someones brains " or " had to tell someone their child has died" ...well, there's only so much of that "feel sorry for me" bull that I can take...I've done it..it's not nice but get over it...it's part of the job so give over on the sympathy/shock angle will you... coppers these days are not what they used to be.

BUT...

They catch some toe-rag, and some shyster gets him off... or some social worker intervenes and the dim judiciary let them off with neary a slap... where is the job satisfaction in that ?

Or they catch someone the wrong skin colour to be prosecuted, lest the screaming lefties emerge from under their stones crying racial predjudice...

Police officers are targets of general hate and blamed for so much, and are used by the ignorant and ineducable as a vent for their inadequacies...

But the police don't help themselves one little bit.

In general they are rude, verbally bullying, and seem to think they can be  intimidating to whomsoever they wish just because they can... and how sarcastic they are... yet the moment you are sarcastic back it's " There's no need to take that tone with me Sir " and the veilled threats of arrest if you keep it up...

No, the police have a cushy little number on the whole... poor job satisfaction maybe, but it's not a hard job and I won't be kidded into believing otherwise... hell, I know enough good friends who are police officers and I KNOW what coppers are like...

Offended anyone enough yet ? No ? Well...let's get to the Tesco bit then shall we... I worked for Tesco for many, many years... the police used to turn up every night at every store I delivered to... sometimes they stayed for half an hour... sometimes more than three hours..and the store policy was let them have what they want free from the canteen...so don't try and tell me they pay... because I know they don't...I sat there with them often enough... sure, if a call came in then off they went...but they should have been out on the streets, doing their job, not flirting with the night staff, which they all seem very good at....

I really believe it's a power thing..."you can't touch me or say anything to me 'cos I'm a copper and will win in the end... 'cos I've got mates with pepper spray and 'cuffs"...

Don't even talk to me about response times.

Blue touch paper lit...  now standing well back... :wink:

My problem with what you have said is its a total generalisation of all Police Officers from a bad experience.

The simple fact is there are numpties in every profession it is unfair to tarnish every officer with your views.
Yes I know some crap Police officers I also know some superb ones who I would not hesitate to put my life on the line for.

Now I'm holding back here because this is a public forum and yes what you have said I do find offensive, but hey its a free world and you can have your views.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal