AuthorTopic: Smokers  (Read 12235 times)

Offline L90OOK

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Somerset
  • Referrals: 0
Smokers
« on: December 02, 2007, 00:02:12 »
Ok...I am not an anti smoker, smoking etc...however I am anti smoking if...i'll just flick/stub the end out HERE... :evil:
I recently tapped on the window of a car, that had undone its window to throw the fag butt out of, flicked the butt back in (still alight) whilst politely telling the occupier they had dropped something.  :twisted:
They proceeded to get out the car shouting & moaning...until they eyed me up...(I'm 6ft & 18stone  :D ) then just looked embarrassed, apologiesed & [!Expletive Deleted!] off  :lol:
My gripe is how many other people do this & don't get challenged?
I know it is allot as I have seen the amount of fag butts on the floor!  :evil:
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline muddymesser

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 00:07:36 »
i wud o bin a bit stuck really in that situation

5 10 an 11 n half stone
would a midget fall over doing the limbo???

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 00:13:06 »
Nice one J.  There are times I've wanted to do that...  but I think I'm a bit more likely to get beaten up than you  :twisted:  I can just imagine your tone of voice as you said it too :lol:

I do wonder why people who would never dream of throwing a sweet wrapper on the floor, think it's fine to throw a fag butt?  And before anybody says it's only leaves, the filters are loaded with plastics and are not easily biodegradable...
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline mobi

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 01:49:26 »
no i don't have a problem but i'm 6 foot and 21 st :lol:

oohh and i chip it and bin the butts!

Offline hrh_dave

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Lybster, Caithness
  • Referrals: 1
Smokers
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 02:10:29 »
Im sorry but what you did was dangerous and irresponsible. Nevermind leaving yourself open to being charged with Breach of the Peace or fire rasing. We do not live in a country where it is acceptable to be a vigil anti, taking the law into your own hands is never a good idea. Espcially when we have a trained and insured Police force to do it for us.

Dave
"Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away."
www.terranomade.co.uk

Offline P16LET

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 02:29:23 »
I'm intruiged as to where you purchased the extremely large brush that you seem to have tarred all smokers with?....B&Q?....Homebase?...or the same place one would obtain high horses and soap boxes??  :shock:  :?

As for discarding redundant cigarettes in the street...erm...well....firstly, that's kinda what we pay a portion of our council tax for, so the streets can be kept clean and tidy by employing the rarely seen Street Sweeper...and if the emphasis is on us to "dispose of responsibly", then surely councils should provide suitable litter facilities in order for this to happen?! ...throwing a cigarette butt into a conventional litter bin is a fire hazard, but perhaps this didn't cross your mind when you launched one back into someones vehicle. :shock:

Similarly, throwing a butt out of a car window isn't in itself the greatest littering crime of all time, if you ever pay attention to the amount of rubbish that graces our highways and by-ways.  Cast your mind back to those dumb St Georges flags that were sported by just about every other car, fluttering manically from the arial...where did they all end up?...shredded and discarded on grass verges the length and breadth of the country....without so much as a backward glance.

If your going to have a pop at one sector of society, then at least have the good grace to include every other form of discarded material in your list of annoyances.....chewing gum....MacDonalds/Burger King wrappers....drinks cans....the list is quite literally endless!!

And Thermi, if you want to jump on some kind of Green Crusade, I hope you can hold your hands up in a holier than thou manner, and confidently say you've never discarded something you shouldn't?!....think of all the junk we merrily throw in our waste bins, that ultimately ends up in landfill...most of that ain't biodegradable either.
Sheep are like Landies - always looking for new and more interesting ways to die

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
Smokers
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 02:47:19 »
ooo... getting a bit irate in this one!!

Landfill (been my area of expertise) take between 30-100years before the material is considered inert (basically soil)

..and at a mere 5'8", and 10.5stone, i`d agree with the big fella, although i dont think he was right in throwing the lit end back in.. there could have been a baby seat in the front seat... or the car could have caught fire... ie, BadPerson!!

as for throwing lit cigs in bins... well most cars on the road have an ash tray for a reason, true for most of us its to hold the screwws from the bit of the dash we recently re-fitted, or fuses etc... but theres one there nevertheless...

flying fag ends at night are probably the worst... when your on the motorway, its black apart from an explosion on your windscreen when the truck infront tosses his end at you... not good..

in warmer climates, a fag end is responsible for a lot of forest fires.. Greece this year? SWMBO`s mum has a can with a bit of water in, just make sure you remember!!

iffy subject, and i`m sure people will dis/agree for a number of pages yet...

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

att

Smokers
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 07:10:15 »
I also ride motorcycles......The lighted ciggy end has seen a fair few idiots chastised, whacked and has seen damage done to their vehicle, usually the mirror as they are not using it anyways :roll:

I am not anti anything......Unless it involves the Govt... :lol:  :lol:

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 08:48:58 »
Quote from: "P16LET"
As for discarding redundant cigarettes in the street...erm...well....firstly, that's kinda what we pay a portion of our council tax for, so the streets can be kept clean and tidy by employing the rarely seen Street Sweeper...

Does that mean it's OK to burgle a house, as we pay a portion of our council tax to the police who go and sort it out? :?  Should I be able to throw my MacDonalds wrapper on the ground, on the basis that somebody's paid to clear it up?

And Thermi, if you want to jump on some kind of Green Crusade, I hope you can hold your hands up in a holier than thou manner, and confidently say you've never discarded something you shouldn't?!....think of all the junk we merrily throw in our waste bins, that ultimately ends up in landfill...most of that ain't biodegradable either.

Green Crusade?!  :lol:

I can confidently say I've never discarded litter in the street - absolutely.  If people want to throw cigarette butts in the bin, that's fine by me, as that's where rubbish is supposed to go.  That's not even remotely the point I'm making.  This is about littering.  I'm not expecting people to EAT their cigarette butts;  just not to throw them out of the window.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 09:14:22 »
I'm an ex smoker, I will be the first one to say its not right to do that, thats why you have an ash tray.

To be fair it is littering and I know in Grantham they use to publish CCTV footage in the paper of perple putting their fags out on the pavememt and then fine the people if they knew who they were. It is littering one way or another. No different than throwing the sweet wrapper on the floor.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Smokers
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 09:16:17 »
As a smoker, (feel the hate, baby!) I tend to either use the ashtray in the car, or, if at work, nip the end off ( :shock: ) and put the stub in my coat pocket.
The reasons being is that as a fascist pig of the Dictatorial regime, I am not allowed to be seen to be doing anything that may upset our customers as it may tarnish the 'Image of the Constabulary'. (Irony in itself as the Bosses do a good enough job of that as it is). Hence No Smoking on duty. Load of balls! If I've been dealing with some lowlife and want a ciggy, I'll have one!
No Smoking within 10 metres of a Plod building, in case the clouds of toxic fumes drift into the building and kill everyone or in case people see us and get traumatised by the sight of us enjoying our filthy, anti social habit.
And before anyone comes back at me, I have stuck people on for chucking fagends out of their car window. He said "Prove it was mine". I said "DNA, prove to me it isn't yours!

Good on L90OOK for returning the item, although I would have stubbed it out first.
There is one thing I would like to ask . This person was clocked dumping a fag end out of a car window.
How come when I have had to deal with a flytipping incident, nobody ever sees it being dumped? :(bigsmoke):

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Re: Smokers
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 09:23:13 »
Quote from: "L90OOK"

I recently tapped on the window of a car, that had undone its window to throw the fag butt out of, flicked the butt back in (still alight) whilst politely telling the occupier they had dropped something.  :twisted:

Who the hell do you think you are ?

Did you check if he had kids in car?

I would have dropped you on the spot  :twisted: and yes if it matters I am 6'3" and not as fat

I do not condone this behaviour and use the ashtray but that is out of order.
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 09:34:47 »
Ok chaps we have an IP and an offender,

LSP shall we nik them for Breach of the peace>

Then it's a ride back to the nik for a bare knuckle fight to resolve the matter. The custody officer holds the bets.

Seriously chaps lets not fall out over this hey... :wink:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
Smokers
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 09:55:47 »
**stands quietly in the corner ready to catch all the toys and dummies....**

And also gets ready for round 2!!  :D

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 10:00:47 »
Quote from: "hairyasswelder"

Who the hell do you think you are ?

Did you check if he had kids in car?

Whoow there fella...who the hell are you to judge me?
FYI no there were not kids in the car...if there were I would have stubbed it out & passed it back....I have kids too :D

I would have dropped you on the spot  :twisted:

Better make sure you do a good job  :wink:   :lol:

I am not here to upset anyone, certainly not fall out with other MC members.  However I ain't gonna stand by and let fools deliberately litter the country side...There isn't many road sweepers on the middle of Dartmoor :roll:   Do what you like in the cities...I never go there  :twisted:  :lol:

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 10:02:55 »
It's disgusting ..... chucking any kind of litter about (incl out of a vehicle window). Fair play to the lad that pointed it out! Sadly, he'd have probably come off worse if the legal system had ever got involved in such an incident  :roll:

As for all the smokers who are getting stressed ...... stay calm, sit down n light a fag .......... just as long as I can't smell the stinking residue from it  :wink:  :lol:
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 10:12:51 »
[Whoow there fella...who the hell are you to judge me?]

You have put it on a FORUM  :wink: I am judging your actions, I do not know you

I think there are ways of going about things, a chosen word or 3 would have the same result, but yes I would have got out and smacked anyone that did that.

In my opinion you were lucky, people carry knives, guns etc and this could have been serious  :roll:
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 10:16:51 »
Quote from: "Boggert"

Then it's a ride back to the nik for a bare knuckle fight to resolve the matter. The custody officer holds the bets.

No, my suggestion would be a fixed penalty notice for the fag dropper, then a course of counselling for everybody who may or may not have been in a ten mile radius of the incident and were traumatized by it.
Then all officers involved can go and tell their supervisors what they had done, the supervisors could then tell the managers who would then write a report saying that they came up with the initiative, which would get them more brownie points.

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Smokers
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 10:19:22 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"

No, my suggestion would be a fixed penalty notice for the fag dropper, then a course of counselling for everybody who may or may not have been in a ten mile radius of the incident and were traumatized by it.
Then all officers involved can go and tell their supervisors what they had done, the supervisors could then tell the managers who would then write a report saying that they came up with the initiative, which would get them more brownie points.

You'll be on a fast track to Inspector with suggestions like that  :lol:

Offline Niel

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 10:19:40 »
Possible not the best way but having dealt with summer RTI's due to fag ash in the helmet/eye's from butt flicker's and occasionally car drivers with windows open suffering the same I have nothing but contempt for smokers who can't be bothered to dispose properly.
As for the Uni-link bus drivers driving one handed whilst speeding through Southampton with one out the window holding their fag...

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 10:21:10 »
Quote from: "Niel"
As for the Uni-link bus drivers driving one handed whilst speeding through Southampton with one out the window holding their fag...

Doesn't that count as smoking in the workplace now?  :lol:
David French
Tree-hugging communist

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 10:22:50 »

You'll be on a fast track to Inspector with suggestions like that  :lol:

There is more chance of finding a snowball in Hell, than of that happening!
I work on the 'crud falls down' system. I am at the bottom of the ladder and have been for some time. By the time it gets to where I am, I have seen it coming and stepped out of the way!

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:01 »
Quote from: "thermidorthelobster"

Most definately! Quick, call the Ciggy Police!

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
Smokers
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 10:36:24 »
Quote from: "thermidorthelobster"

Most definately! Quick, call the Ciggy Police!

well hubby drives HGV's for a living and has in his truck 5 No smoking signs...all 11 trucks in the fleet have them - but it doesnt stop the smokers from smoking!

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Smokers
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 11:42:43 »
i have no problem with smokers or smoking but the new law seems to have pushed all the smokers out onto the pavements now, we were in london yesterday and you almost needed oxygen masks to breathe as you walked down the street.
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 11:57:09 »
but yes I would have got out and smacked anyone that did that.
How sad
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline P16LET

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 13:51:42 »
I trust that all the people the are willing to slate smokers for having such a disgusting and unevironmentally friendly habit would be as equally willing to face the monumental tax hike that would occur if we all stopped smoking tomorrow??  :shock:
Sheep are like Landies - always looking for new and more interesting ways to die

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
Smokers
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 14:10:55 »
Quote from: "P16LET"
I trust that all the people the are willing to slate smokers for having such a disgusting and unevironmentally friendly habit would be as equally willing to face the monumental tax hike that would occur if we all stopped smoking tomorrow??  :shock:

I don't think anyone is slating smoker here...just the actions of one...could have been someone chucking a McPoo burger out the window for all I care...I would have done the same thing     :D

Offline narked

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 14:22:38 »
One of the local hauliers round here had a wiring harness that caught fire in their Volvo tractor unit, and when the insurance assessor came out to look at it, he was telling them what was the most common cause of fires that he came across.

Apparently, and he was saying that Scanias are the worst for it, when either the driver, or a someone in a vehicle infront, chucks a fag out the window, the air tends to carry the fag alongside the cab, then it whips around the back, right into the air intake. It then sits on the filter, with air constantly being drawn over it.

Now, in principle, I agree with L90. I can't say I personally would go as far as chucking the ciggie back in however. And as for the comment regarding smacking anyone who did that, you said it yourself, you use the ashtray, so you'd never find yourself in that position. But I have to say that's a stupid reaction, fighting fire with fire as it were. Someone takes objection to the fact that you've done something wrong, and so you hit 'em? Surely the best bet would be apologise for what you did, and politely point out that perhaps they went a bit over the top with their reaction. However we all know about the ol' red mist, and rational thought isn't always available on demand ;)

Powys 4x4 Response

Current Mods:
Moonraker Minor CB radio
Safari Snorkel
Extended axle and transmission breathers
235/70R16 Insa Turbo Dakar M/Ts
Roof light bar with 4x Ring Road Runner lamps

Offline simdeb

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007, 16:26:06 »
i go to college, its a no smoking policy all over the site but their is one group who stand in the passageway and its awful i don't smoke am asthmatic and  have just recently had to have a course of steroids for a chest infection I'm all for a freedom for every body but cig smoke really makes me choke as does going shopping into warm and back out into cold, but i do hate it when you get the butts stuck on your shoes and than take them into your house

by the way not slating anybody as i said freedom for every one but i don't have a choice about going shopping or being asthmatic

debbie
North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal