AuthorTopic: Smokers  (Read 12233 times)

Offline corrosiverob

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Smokers
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2007, 18:09:02 »
Quote from: "Bob696"
Quote from: "corrosiverob"

Friend of mine lost his artic because of a fag end in the air intake... not a myth at all..... problem was he was smoking it .... he flicked it out of the window and the air intake sucked it in.

if he had not seen the smoke from the air intake it could of been a lot worse but the truck was written off

TBH I have been unable to find any varified stories on the net. Just "I know a m8 who ....." type stories. Just dosn't seem to make the papers for some reason.

HMMMMM if the www does not have cases it must be false? is that what you are saying??
Now defendered up!

Click below!

www.sniff-my-diff.com

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

Offline corrosiverob

Attack Member
Now defendered up!

Click below!

www.sniff-my-diff.com

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2007, 22:30:38 »
Quote from: "Bob696"

Friend of mine lost his artic because of a fag end in the air intake... not a myth at all..... problem was he was smoking it .... he flicked it out of the window and the air intake sucked it in.

if he had not seen the smoke from the air intake it could of been a lot worse but the truck was written off

TBH I have been unable to find any varified stories on the net. Just "I know a m8 who ....." type stories. Just dosn't seem to make the papers for some reason.

HMMMMM if the www does not have cases it must be false? is that what you are saying??

No. I am saying I cant read every newspaper in the world but I can search the internet and most newspaper have an online version.

Regarding the first link. Mont Blanc tunnel has already been covered and the other quote is about an apartment fire. (I would also not take a 'story' from a plainly biased site as true)

The second link is an australian site that wont open for me but from the link text appears to be about bushfires.

As I say as there are no (or at least so few stories they can't be found easly) varified stories it is more than likely it is an urban myth, or at most  an extremly rare occurance, for cig ends to set fire to airfilters.
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Smokers
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2007, 22:37:52 »
A ciggy butt into a snorkel type affair (like lorries have) with a paper filter, air being drawn at a great rate over the glowing ember ... I can see that would work.

Flames into air intake and er .... ouch? Or worse .. ash into engine .. yuck.
--
Neil

Offline graham

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2007, 23:00:33 »
I bet the guy who started this thread wished he'd kept his key board shut, like anything on the web you don't know who your conversing with.

It may be a case that its something he would like to do and just showing a bit of bravado, if it was for real it was a foolish act.
We all get wound up and have pet hates chill its not the end of the world.
Nissan Terrano
Land Rover Lightweight
ex TD5 Discovery &
RR classic owner

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2007, 22:50:13 »
Time to STUB this thread out?  :lol:
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Silvery Thing

Smokers
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2007, 17:21:54 »
I reckon a simple solution is to just shoot all smokers  :? End of filthy habit and end of problem :wink:  :roll:

Offline P16LET

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2007, 18:59:16 »
Silvery Thing

I reckon a simple solution is to just shoot all smokers :? End of filthy habit and end of problem :wink:  :roll:

There is a distinct danger of me repeating myself, but here goes....firstly, Why??....Why do smokers perpetually find themselves at the sticky end of all the worlds ills...because believe me, if it can be blamed on smoking it will......for example...

The NHS are refusing to treat smokers as just about everything now is deemed a smoking related illness/disease....however, nothing is ever said about the thousands of drug addicts or drink drivers that burden the NHS year in, year out.....all this in spite of the fact that it's in part the revenue from smoking that perpetuates the NHS funding!!

I can now be fined for lighting up in my own vehicle, if the police see fit to do so, as it is percieved to be a distraction and increases the possibility of an accident as I may remove my hands from the wheel....if that's the case, perhaps we should also ban car stereos (..unless they have invented telepathic ones now?!), transporting children (...as squabbling kids in the back are probably the biggest distraction of all) or GPS systems?! all of which can fall in the same category...but no, easier to persecute smokers....again. :(

...but then of course little is ever said of the benefits of the humble cigarette....the millions of pounds of sponsorship that has been poured into sports events over the years....Malboro and JPS in motor racing...Embassy Snooker Chmpionship....and your very own Camel Trophy...OMG, would you believe it...it's a tobacco company! :shock:
.....and research has just started into why smokers recover quicker following operations....far more so than non-smokers. :shock:

So, for once, give us a break.....it has been said more than once in this thread that no-one is having a go at smokers (...although the last post kinda nullifies this)...but alas the whole persecution thing is wearing a bit thin now....

:(
Sheep are like Landies - always looking for new and more interesting ways to die

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2007, 19:46:41 »
cigs going into air intakes is plausible

the volvo fh has the intake on the n/s and its really high up - you gota go some to get a fag in there , even on a left hooker.

Scania R cab as far as i remember doesnt even have the intake up the cab rear

cant remember how the DAFs look

even if a fag did go in the paper filter wouldnt burn for long surely
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Smokers
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2007, 20:07:06 »
Quote from: "P16LET"
Silvery Thing

I reckon a simple solution is to just shoot all smokers :? End of filthy habit and end of problem :wink:  :roll:

There is a distinct danger of me repeating myself, but here goes....firstly, Why??....Why do smokers perpetually find themselves at the sticky end of all the worlds ills...because believe me, if it can be blamed on smoking it will......for example...

The NHS are refusing to treat smokers as just about everything now is deemed a smoking related illness/disease....however, nothing is ever said about the thousands of drug addicts or drink drivers that burden the NHS year in, year out.....all this in spite of the fact that it's in part the revenue from smoking that perpetuates the NHS funding!!

I can now be fined for lighting up in my own vehicle, if the police see fit to do so, as it is percieved to be a distraction and increases the possibility of an accident as I may remove my hands from the wheel....if that's the case, perhaps we should also ban car stereos (..unless they have invented telepathic ones now?!), transporting children (...as squabbling kids in the back are probably the biggest distraction of all) or GPS systems?! all of which can fall in the same category...but no, easier to persecute smokers....again. :(

...but then of course little is ever said of the benefits of the humble cigarette....the millions of pounds of sponsorship that has been poured into sports events over the years....Malboro and JPS in motor racing...Embassy Snooker Chmpionship....and your very own Camel Trophy...OMG, would you believe it...it's a tobacco company! :shock:
.....and research has just started into why smokers recover quicker following operations....far more so than non-smokers. :shock:

So, for once, give us a break.....it has been said more than once in this thread that no-one is having a go at smokers (...although the last post kinda nullifies this)...but alas the whole persecution thing is wearing a bit thin now....

:(

Tolerance of others or rather the lack of it is one of the biggest problems in the World today.
I am not proud of the fact that I smoke, but its my choice. I also like to drink beer, eat food that is supposedly bad for me and I drive a 4x4. 75% of my likes, I probably share in common with most of the forum users, but does that make me a lesser person?
Since the ban came in, I now have to smoke outside any pub that I choose to go to. As a result of that, I have met a Native Canadian Indian who told me about the history of his race, an 85 year old woman who told me of her childhood in India, a BBC journalist and numerous other very interesting people. Not that that makes smoking any better.
As I mentioned in an earlier reply on this thread, I have had to deal with numerous reports of flytipping, but nobody sees a thing. The same goes for burglaries and muggings, but again nobody sees what went on.
But, Oh My God! Someone drops a fag end and all Hell breaks loose! We have people saying they are prepared to thump someone!
No, I don't agree with littering, but lets give it a rest now.

Bouncy

Smokers
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2007, 22:34:08 »
lets ban spitting !  :shock:

Now lets see where this goes......... filthy disgusting habit and apaprently so acceptable!

Note to self to hide behind Lord Shag Pile when he comes back to Norfolk.

Offline P16LET

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2007, 23:24:19 »
In some odd way, this post can almost be brought full circle........

If any of us sat for long enough and thought about what really ticks us off...smoking, spitting, loud music, errant pets etc....and my own personal hate, fly tipping, then it wouldn't be too much of a leap in the thought process to realise none of it is cured by banning it.

As LSP so elooquently put, it is more of a tolerance issue, but further to this, it is also a matter of respect. If generations of people hadn't been raised to believe that they had a god given right to do things their way, regardless of the detriment to their fellow man or their environment, then perhaps the world as a whole would be a nicer place to be.

As a small child I remember my mother making me walk what seemed a very long way at the time, to retrieve an empty crisp packet that I had dropped in the street a short while earlier...my lesson was learnt and I have never dropped litter since... :oops:

...and whilst staying on the family maxims, my father imparted this gem of wisdom that has always stuck with me..
..."it doesn't matter what you wear, what you say or what you do, just never intentionally give offence".....which in a nutshell I think means spare a thought for everyone else before you do something....

So, the moral of all this is.....well...I'm sure it has something to do with stable doors and bolting horses...  :shock:  :wink:
Sheep are like Landies - always looking for new and more interesting ways to die

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2007, 08:45:07 »
Quote from: "Bouncy"

Now lets see where this goes......... filthy disgusting habit and apaprently so acceptable!

Note to self to hide behind Lord Shag Pile when he comes back to Norfolk.

Not in my book! I find it offensive and a risk to health. I would deem it an offence under Section 5 of the Public Order Act, and yes, I have lifted someone for it!
If we want a better society, you have to start somewhere!

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2007, 09:56:09 »
I never ceases to amaze me how people get so wound up about nothing, then it results into a fight and everyone is carted off in the van to have brunch at nik.

Is it worth it I wonder on a daily basis.
The lad that is tossed out the night club because his girlfriend has taken a shine to some other bloke, justs wants to kick off and fight everyone... why??

Yep I see things that bug me, but its dosn't make me want to take on the world and go around smacking people.

Lets all just chill and relax for a bit. :wink:

Now do I sound like Neil from the young ones or what! LOL :lol:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2007, 16:15:17 »
like, its getting heavy Boggert..... Broomshanka everybody :wink:
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Silvery Thing

Smokers
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2007, 18:35:40 »
Quote from: "Bouncy"

Now lets see where this goes......... filthy disgusting habit and apaprently so acceptable! ....

No it is not acceptable so I say "Lets shoot all the *#&@+%?£ that spit in the street as well. Oh and whilst we are at it and the street cleaning health squads are active lets shoot all crapping dogs and their owners too :wink:  :D

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
Smokers
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2007, 20:14:07 »
a good world war.. thats what we need.. then folks will realise the vale of life, and the importance of one another... if you smoke, do so.. but be considerate of others... everyone has a choice, so if you do, respect others that dont.. apply common sense and if someone else gets irratic with you when you have done everything you can to not cause the problem, hit them with anything you have nearby.. brick is best, but a lump of wood works well...

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

pux

Smokers
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2007, 20:50:12 »
How about we talk about 4x4 and mud and beer and all the good things instead of having a pop at each other all the time over stupid topics :roll:

Offline denviks

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2007, 20:57:22 »
Quote from: "pux146"
How about we talk about 4x4 and mud and beer and all the good things instead of having a pop at each other all the time over stupid topics :roll:

now where's the fun in that mr puxley  :shock:  :twisted:  :P  :P  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

everyone pick on pux now.....he said it

walking away slowly  :(biglaugh):  :(biglaugh):  :(biglaugh):
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

pux

Smokers
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2007, 20:59:36 »
who asked you big nose.

Offline denviks

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2007, 21:00:02 »
who you calling big nose  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
cheers
dennis

pux

Smokers
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2007, 21:16:48 »
you big nose

Offline denviks

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2007, 21:21:40 »
look you call me big nose one more time and i'll.......i'll

so hmm is this a move line  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
cheers
dennis

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2007, 12:31:25 »
Quote from: "denviks"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Take no notice Den,  PUX is a gay boy !!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :roll:  :wink:  :lol:
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

pux

Smokers
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2007, 12:37:29 »
Quote from: "Steve ray"
Quote from: "denviks"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Take no notice Den,  PUX is a gay boy !!  :twisted:  :twisted:  :roll:  :wink:  :lol:
Steve now come on and admit you fancy me :wink:

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2007, 12:38:55 »
Quote from: "pux146"
Steve now come on and admit you fancy me :wink:

Sssshhh! ...... just don't tell everyone in open forum  :twisted:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Silvery Thing

Smokers
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2007, 15:23:01 »
In my crusade against filthy smokers I have managed to enlist the assistance of a couple of formidable allies. Beware all you tobacco carrying polluters :evil:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2007, 18:24:02 »
Pussys!

Offline paulhumphries

Attack Member
Smokers
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2007, 19:03:32 »
There was an article in the local paper earlier in the year about someone being procecuted for throwing a cigarette end out of the car window.
They were  stuck in traffic at the time hence it was possible for their number to be noted.
I cann't find the article now (I assume too old) but found this -
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=158338&command=displayContent&sourceNode=158321&contentPK=18739352&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

Paul Humphries

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal