AuthorTopic: What are they trying to prove?  (Read 4048 times)

MuckingFuddy

What are they trying to prove?
« on: June 12, 2005, 23:36:50 »
I have posted some questions on this forum and am getting fed up with people adding posts for the bloody sake of it.
Its quite obvious that people are just posting answers to bump up their number of posts and get a better title.

Come on you moderaters, you should be stopping this from happening, if people are doing this they should be told to stop!

Im not getting at the genuine people that use this forum, as i have had some very good and useful infomation

What do other users think?

Offline NiceBlueWellies

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 23:42:40 »
I am not adding a vote to this thread.  Some of us are in the bar, cause anything goes, apparently.   :shock:

If you want technical help, go to the designated forum and ask there, where things are a little more formal.  

Like a "normal" bar, there is banter in this one, and some of us like to have a laugh and a joke while virtually drinking. :D

So in answer to your question - it is not always a case of bumping up posts, but in enjoying the friendly atmosphere and talking with each other, that is the reason to post.  I don't know a slave cylinder from a clutch thingee, but I like to talk to other people who like off roading like me.  We are not all technically minded. :?
Jules

Have wellies, get muddy ;-)

Offline Colin 009

Attack Member
    • High Wycombe
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 23:44:00 »
Quote from: "NicePinkWellies"
I am not adding a vote to this thread.  Some of us are in the bar, cause anything goes, apparently.   :shock:

If you want technical help, go to the designated forum and ask there, where things are a little more formal.  

Like a "normal" bar, there is banter in this one, and some of us like to have a lugh and a joke while virtually drinking. :D

So in answer to your question - it is not always a case of bumping up posts, but in enjoying the friendly atmosphere and talking with each other, that is the reason to post.  I don't know a slave cylinder from a clutch thingee, but I like to talk to other people who like off roading like me.  We are not all technically minded. :?

Well that girl. :D
Cheers.
Colin,
Shiny Blue Crew 009
                   "Everbody Has to be Somewhere"

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 23:49:41 »

Like a "normal" bar, there is banter in this one, and some of us like to have a lugh and a joke while virtually drinking. :D

Well put! :lol:

You should know what a slave cylinder is after today :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

MuckingFuddy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 23:50:09 »
Did you read the first post???

Im having a moan in the bar about the amount of rubbish replys you get on the tech forum and other forums. Im not in any way having a dig about the bar. as we all know the bar is for posting whatever you like.

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 00:08:54 »
Quote from: "MuckingFuddy"
Did you read the first post???

Im having a moan in the bar about the amount of rubbish replys you get on the tech forum and other forums. Im not in any way having a dig about the bar. as we all know the bar is for posting whatever you like.

Yep. Your first post says this "I have posted some questions on this forum and am getting fed up with people adding posts for the bloody sake of it." which tends to indicate you were talking about the 'The Bar' forum.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 00:11:05 »
I think the reason for the diversity of answers is that (as in life) any comment may result in the subject going off at a tangent & not re-gaining the original reason for it being posted.
I've had it happen to me. & I've occasionally caused/contributed to it as well.

Lifes Rich Tapestry..... etc...
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 00:11:26 »
There are now no post counts, and if there is rubbish on a tech forum, please alert a moderator - we try hard, but often it is very difficult to read every post.

Thanks.
--
Neil

gords

Re: What are they trying to prove?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 01:24:59 »
I have posted some questions on this forum and am getting fed up with people adding posts for the bloody sake of it.
Its quite obvious that people are just posting answers to bump up their number of posts and get a better title.

Come on you moderaters, you should be stopping this from happening, if people are doing this they should be told to stop!

If they are posting "answers", then isn't that the point?

How are the moderators supposed to spot those "adding posts for the bloody sake of it"? :?

Sorry, struggling to see the issue here ... without specific examples, at least :(

Offline Digsit

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 08:17:04 »
Quote from: "gords"

Sorry, struggling to see the issue here ... without specific examples, at least :(

Here's one Gords...............

Nice avatar mate :D  :wink:
Vehicle history:
Discovery 200tdi - Charity - went past her expiry date
Discovery 300tdi - Clarity - went into rear of Audi A3
Discovery 300tdi - D'une  - went bang
Discovery TD5 - unnamed - just went

Cliff - In my own little world............visitors welcome !!

Offline bovaboy

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 08:30:00 »
I've nothing to say on this topic, but I'm trying to get a better title.........
If only I had mud Terrains........

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 08:30:41 »
Well, as we are all aware post count directly reflects on your manhood.  The main problem is that the moderators havd to read every single post, and we *do* trim some of the more random tangents.  However, there is also a question of moderating the moderators.  On a personal and historical front we've only ever tried to delete content that is offensive (the definition of which is perhaps a little more complicated than you might think)

Perhaps a little restraint is in order, on all parts...
--

MuckingFuddy

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 08:43:29 »
Quote from: "datalas"
Well, as we are all aware post count directly reflects on your manhood.  The main problem is that the moderators havd to read every single post, and we *do* trim some of the more random tangents.  However, there is also a question of moderating the moderators.  On a personal and historical front we've only ever tried to delete content that is offensive (the definition of which is perhaps a little more complicated than you might think)

Perhaps a little restraint is in order, on all parts...

Thank you for seeing my point.

Offline NiceBlueWellies

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 09:04:53 »
What "manhood", where do I find it? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Restraint may be in order, but also being a little more specific about what it is that is bothering a particular person and on where it is occuring. :wink:
Jules

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 09:36:03 »

Thank you for seeing my point.

It's an interesting point you've made, however, there are probably more, shall we say, suitable means of expressing an issue :wink: . I think that may be why some of the above responses have been made here.

We want as many contributors as possible, but we also want a friendly and engaging envronment in which to post. Occasionally things that aren't so relevant to the thread get said (conversational-driftwood), occasionaly folk can feel a tad offended by the reponses they get, but most of us mean well and wouldn't want to irk other folk - if it happens it isn't intentional.

Now, anyone for group hug :wink: ?

I going to support Daz fully with his post - if anyone can think of the definitive attributes of 'offensive', please write your answer on a crisp 20 and post it to the usual address!

cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 11:38:10 »
I suspect determining what offensive means would be rather difficult! As this month's TOR shows :lol:

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 11:41:26 »
I think the original responses were in reply to the fact that the opening post appeared to critisize the content of Th Bar forum.

Subsequant clarification shows that the problem lies with the techincal forum which is an entirely diffrent issue.

Offline dimoven

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 11:54:19 »
Well,it makes you think
That,you dont know what to think?
And if you carry on thinking like that !
Well you dont know what you will end up thunking.

Lifes too short ---just chill
 Regards Donn

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 13:16:32 »
posting
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 13:36:58 »
As someone who has been fairly vocal on this subject in the past, I won't go off on a rant about it again.

As Neil mentioned, the post counts were removed from the forum for a couple of reasons...

1) Because they encouraged people to make lots of unneccesary posts and make multiple posts when one would have done for the intention of reaching the next 'milestone'... there are technical and time implications with this.

2) Because people were incessantly moaning because their post counts changed due to the automated forum procedures, this wasted lots of time and caused the moderators and admins (who are all just people too) a lot of grief and stress.

3) Because we used to get pages of posts saying how great it was that someone had just reached 'x' number of posts.

Since the post counts were removed from the main pages of the site, the instances of the above have dramatically decreased....  this is a good thing.  It allows us to keep the forum in some state of good health and maintenance.

In terms of the relevance of posts.....   well...

It is natural for people to deviate from a topic when chatting...  it happens in real life and we must accept that it will happen on a forum.

We don't want to try and prevent this from happening as it would only serve to upset people and to stop people posting things which may be useful although not directly relevant.

What the mods and admins can (and will) do is move conversations to a different area of the forum if they feel the topic has drifted so far as to no longer be in the correct place.

One thing which would make our lives much easier is that topics get posted in the *right* place to begin with.     So a plea to all... please make sure you post things where they belong... don't just dump everything in the bar.

There are sections for funny websites, jokes, links, and all sorts of other things.  When they are posted in the wrong place, they will be moved, but that is a hassle for us.  

Offensive posts....

I don't *think * that MF was complaining about anything offensive.  But as has been said... if any post is considered offensive, inciteful, libellous, or one of a number of other things, it may be removed by the moderators... that is what they are here for.

We don't remove things on a whim, but we do consider carefully complaints we get about posts, and very often the poster has just mis-communicated something and never intended to cause any issue.   In these cases, so far at least, the members have been generally co-operative with the mods and have accepted and understood the issues.

If anyone has a question, comment, problem... just shout
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline NiceBlueWellies

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 16:07:10 »
Does "offensiveness"  extend to all areas of the forum, from posts to say avatars?

Just a thought I had? :wink:

But what if one person finds something offensive and another doesn't? :?
Jules

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 17:05:33 »
Well, there are several posts around which have rubbed me up the wrong way, such as stuff I think is bad taste and not suitable for a forum which has members of all ages.  But I've only ever complained about 2 of them, one of which went way beyond the pale, and the other of which probably caught me on a bad day.

Why have I mostly shut up then?

Because the whole point of mud-club is that it's a club run by the members.  So it accommodates all different tastes and viewpoints.  This is one of its strengths.  I don't think it's really down to anybody here to complain about what other people choose to opine, apart from if it's deemed insulting, offensive, or from time to time illegal.

This doesn't suit everybody, no doubt, but there are plenty of other forums which are more heavily moderated and more fact-oriented if you prefer that style.

David
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2005, 17:10:31 »

Which is exactly the problem TOR found themselves with re the famous gesticulation photo. Diffrent people found it offensive for diffrent reasons and some not in the slightest.

I thought it was funny but better going on the office wall rather than in the mag.

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2005, 17:13:15 »
Quote from: "Guy110"

Which is exactly the problem TOR found themselves with re the famous gesticulation photo. Diffrent people found it offensive for diffrent reasons and some not in the slightest.

I thought it was funny but better going on the office wall rather than in the mag.

I'm confused
Did i miss something?
What/who is TOR??
 :?
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2005, 17:15:04 »
Jake,

Total Off Road magazine.

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2005, 17:15:27 »

The more I read this, the more uncomfortable it makes me.  Is mud-club about somebody "telling" somebody else what they can and can not post?  And if so, who are these autocrats?  Or is it about a group of like-minded people getting together to enjoy a shared hobby?

If somebody is getting fed up with the answers they're getting, then rather than arbitrarily decide how the club should be run, maybe they should set up their own bloody club  :P
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2005, 17:16:10 »
Quote from: "Guy110"
Jake,

Total Off Road magazine.

:oops:
Cheers Guy
Jake

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2005, 17:23:41 »
Quote from: "thermidorthelobster"

The more I read this, the more uncomfortable it makes me.  Is mud-club about somebody "telling" somebody else what they can and can not post?  And if so, who are these autocrats?  Or is it about a group of like-minded people getting together to enjoy a shared hobby?

If somebody is getting fed up with the answers they're getting, then rather than arbitrarily decide how the club should be run, maybe they should set up their own bloody club  :P

Personally, My view on this is,
Posting loads gets your personallity across. Some people in life are funny, some intelligent, some have loads of (useless) information, and some are quiet types that just read the forums. I like to add my opinion to topics i feel i should. Right or wrong. Thats just me. Also through meaningless conversations on here i feel i have got to know (a small amount) of peoples personallitys which i think is great. Cant wait to meet most of you at the Billing Bar B Q.
Its surely up to us if we wish to add our 2 pence worth (as long as it does'nt offened)
 :?:
Jake

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2005, 17:29:55 »

Then that person should refer the "thing" to a moderator for consideration.  We set out from day 1 to make the forum on this site as easy-going as possible whilst still being family-safe and fair.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2005, 17:38:44 »

OK... before anyone gets upset by all this.....

Mud-Club is not about anybody "telling" people what that can say, and what they can't.  The only self-appointed dictators here are the site admins ;-)

The only people who have the authority to dictate what can and cannot be posted here are the moderators and admins... and they only operate within the forum guidelines, not within their own personal preference.   I personally think they do a bloomin' good job... most of what they do is unnoticed by most people... a sign of good moderation in my view.

To a large extent, Mud-Club is self-governing... this thread illustrates that.  Someone made a complaint, and a group of other people disagreed with it... some didn't, and relevant comments have been made.   A similar thing happened not so long ago with regard to the size of graphics in signatures.

Hopefully, the content of this thread will make people think about what they are posting and why.   As time goes by, it has been noticed by a lot of the mods that people have started to self-regulate in terms of offensive material.   I am happy to say that we seem to have steered clear of the majority of problems in that respect.

So... live and let live.     You may or may not like what MF said in his original post... but he is exercising his rights to say it, and if nothing else it has spawned some debate.

We did... this is it ;-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal