Vehicle & Technical > Range Rover

Towing a sankey trailer with a P38

<< < (2/3) > >>

DMJ51X:
Yeah i know - but what height is a normal towbar set up on a P38 compared with a 90 / 110 rear cross member? As I said on my Disco I use a NATO hitch fixed to the bumper which is a bit low but tows OK.

Range Rover Ron:
Hello mate,
regarding you issuewith the P38/Sankey...........
I have a P38 and a Sankey trailer.

I have not towed the Sankey yet with the P38 but can suggest the following.......
Try lower profile tyres and the trailer,
I'm looking at fitting standard LR alloys to my Sankey which will lower the height of the Sankey as the normal military standard tyres have a tall side wall.
also the P38 can be "locked" in any suspension setting, so you can set the height to "high/off road" and lock it, this will give the P38 a 2" lift.
doing both these things will probably get you as close to a good tow height with the Sankey as you'd need to be.
that is what I'm going to do ASAP.
Good luck,
Ron.

James.Harwood:
I wouldn't advise towing with the suspension raised.

lambert:
Also if the car is after 1998 vintage then you ought to have a type approved tow hook which a pintle is not.

Range Rover Ron:
I'm thinking of making an adaptor for the P38.
My thinking is to have a tube just inside the ID of the hook on the Sankey, have a locking pin in the top of the tube to hold the tube in position and slide the tube down insode the hook up to the pin, then have a plate welded to the bottom of the tube and fix a "normal/Standard" tow hitch to the plate. I know it is not "Type approved" but there are a few Land Rovers out there wtih a non-type approved tow hitch set ups on their Land Rovers which are probably better and stronger than the Type approve type!
Then again it might be easier just to sell the Sankey!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version