AuthorTopic: wheel clampers  (Read 6171 times)

Offline stretchy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
wheel clampers
« on: July 09, 2010, 20:34:37 »

why is it legal for someone to disable my car  :evil: went to weston recently and was 10 munits late back litrily ..clamped
im all for a parking ticket if your in the wrong but clamping is to harsh I had my new born baby screeming in my arms and only 20 pounds cash on me and no cards.

I had the clamp of just as he puled in behined me and blocked me in. the police was caled but I was told I was within my rights to do what I like to my car aslong as the clamp is not damaged so I will not wast any time geting the next one of if it hapends again.

the bill was 200 and I had to call round for someone to help me.

surly this cant go on what if It was an elderly person or something that needed to get home for medication or the like
I think the only people that should have clamping powers in the dvla
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Lincs niva

Attack Member
Re: wheel clampers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 20:42:45 »
Apprantley if you can get the clamp off with out cuasing any damage to it they cant bill you how true that is i dont know..

Cheers Gav
Yorkshire and Lincolnshire 4x4 Response
www.yorks-lincs4x4response.org

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 20:45:52 »
well I was just going to drive of and deal with it later as I was in no position to be paying 200 quid clamping fees. but as I was boxed in the only way out was to use my car as a ram lol :)
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 21:48:44 »
Can i direct you to another website i use where there is plenty of legal bods and people who have the knowledge etc.........

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

You will find a forum for your question in there and they are very helpful.

I say this as i do believe there are laws with regards to how long after a ticket expires before they can put a clamp on.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 08:22:51 »
They tried to clamp me once, i cam back as they were struggling to get a clamp round a 35" tyre and i just laughed at them, got iin and drove off  :twisted: :lol:
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 09:25:03 »
Were there any clear signs around warning you that you would be clamped immediately if you went over time? And when I say 'clear' I mean 'clear', not some piddly little notice hidden round a corner or something. If there aren't any, you have every right to not pay, or get your money back.

As for the length of time over before being clamped, I would suggest you seek further advice as already suggested.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

littlepow

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 10:43:16 »
If it is a DVLA or Police clamp - then it is an offence to remove it, private clamping companies are a grey area.

But you maybe able to use the fact that the clamping company where heavy handed and by using the vehicle to block you in was a threatening act. If they push it, it could be worth getting a lawyer to wrrite them a letter requesting retribution payment for stress caused by the clampers to yourself. Not forgetting you where at the time also caring for a new born child.

Pretty much just make it look like it will cost them more to persue your bill than it is worth - all companies are motivated by their profits!

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:08:32 »
I dont remember clear signs but to be honest I was to busy talking to the police. he was a lagitamat clamper with his tag on his arm and was cheked by the police. not realy botherd about clamining the mony back just glad there was someone to help me back home with a credit card

what if I couldent pay ?? my car gets towed ?

if we all sat in the car with my baby could they still lift it ?

its outrageos and very stresful even more so when you genuinly havent got the mony

the list of resons you could be late back to your vehicle is endless
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 13:52:02 »
It's my understanding that they cannot lift the vehicle if it is occupied. However, the police asking you to leave the vehicle might persuade you!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 15:32:50 »
I'm not sure the Police would want to get involved in that situation. Parking enforcement is a civil matter, it'd only be of any interest to them if any laws were being broken.

They are not allowed to lift an occupied vehicle, so jumping in is not a bad idea. Not quite as good as my one to buy a Scammell Constructor and then park where you like...

"Tow it away? There's an experiment I wouldn't want to miss!"  :twisted:
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 16:43:47 »
Even if the clamping is legal, there should be some legislation that sets the fine.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline lurch_917

Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 16:46:58 »
as the police said the clamp was removable try removing it with out damage  then if  they block your car with theirs tell them nicly that your next call goes to the police for entrapment issues (as its a form of kiddnaping ) then see them get out your way
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline lurch_917

Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 16:49:49 »
Even if the clamping is legal, there should be some legislation that sets the fine.
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 21:51:22 »
hahahaa luvin the scammel idea :dance:  isthere even a clamp big enuf to fit that lol ...  thinking back now I should have just got in the car and out waited him luckly we had some spare napys and sum grub so maybe he might of just gave up come tea time... he was on the fone alot pretending to call the tow truck evry time i would call someone for help and they couldent. like I say im all for a parking fee if your over due or in the rong but demanding extreem amounts of cash on the spot when your miles away from home should be ilegal full stop
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 15:16:43 »
IIRC Scotland has ruled clamping to be extortion and banned it outright. If only we could have that south of the border too...

Thing is, it doesn't actually help. A clamped vehicle will cause an obstruction for longer as the owner attempts to have it released and waits for someone to turn up with a key. It's merely a way for some obnoxious bullies to make money by holding people to ransom.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 15:21:22 »
If someone ignores the signs and parks in a private carpark area and blocks access to my driveway I want them clamped and made to suffer for it - it's either that or a ram their car of my driveway - out of the carpark and into the road ..... again.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 01:42:42 »
As I understand the situation when the police were present you were being prevented from removing your vehicle by the obstruction of the camer's van.  This is duress, so i would contact the car dcompany for legal advice and tell them you are refusing to pay.  Personally I'd have driven Blue into his damn van if he'd tried that c**p with me.

A few years ago I heard one story that made me smaile, a local farmer had his car clamped and towed when one of his kids borrowed it.  He begrudginghly agreed to pay the release fee when they agreed to return the car.  When they turned up with the truck carrying his car he then blocked the entrance to the farm and damanded
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 09:46:04 »
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline wheels244

Attack Member
    • Bedale, North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 21:22:46 »
Get the local press involved - they will love the human angle of your new born being 'trapped by bully boy clampers' - imagine the headlines and the publicity for the clamping firm.

I think you showed remarkable and commendable restraint in the circumstances - if they had blocked me in with my children I would have had to pay for a new clamp - because I would have shoved it right up his arse !

Also, if it was paid on a credit card, could you not cancel the payment ?
Defender 200Tdi -  Terrafirma lift,Winch Bumper, Warn X9, Steering Guard, Front\Rear QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel, CB, Light Rail, Baja Claws, Flexi Arches, Breather Kit.

Yamaha R1 Powered MNR Kit Car that I built
Now building 220BHP Lotus 7 kit
Fireblade Trackbike

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 23:22:41 »
to be honest if it was my card I would have canceld it the second I drove of the mood I was in.. as I lent the mony from a freinds card I dident want any greaf turning up at there door step or anything so just paying them back. the more I look back the more I cant beleve I was muinits away from being stranded 100 miles from home with new born and 20 quid to get home, very very frightning :evil: as someone els has said they have no exuse as clamping just prolongs the problem and using up space that other parkers may want to use.

If any of you have stories of how you delt with clampers id like to here them
im sure there are some good clampers stand off stories

without going over board id realy like to know the law beter to prevent this hapening again.. if may car was chaned to lampost and they had to cut the chain to have me towed away could Ihave them areseted for criminal damage ??

stretchy
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 12:03:26 »
got caught again in my disco 5 days ago parking round a compleatly inactive car park at the back of some shops 2 minuits.... miles away from home and no cards on me.. he wanted 170 quid within an hour or it will be towed... what angered me he watched me park there and said nothing. I litraly had change from 20 pounds and no other way of geting the cash so i dicided to drive of with the clamp on... I drove it off side so he couldent fined me and caled a mate to bring tools to help me get it of. I had 20 muinits to get back to work.. riped break line and mangled wing I will uplode pictures when I get chance

the way this guy spoke to me and casualy told me to go and get him the mony hes lucky I never switched him off... ive been back and waited by his van to ask him for a fee for holding his clamp but he wont show..

just read a article on the goverment totaly baning clamping on private land so hopefully this will go ahead and stop these guttless thieving scumbags
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline cooper956

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2010, 22:19:45 »
clamping like this shouldnt be alowed but there is a problem with people parking where thay like being a far contractor we often get cars parked in gateways or near them so we carnt swing in! loader tractors and forks or towing it out the way with the tractor often confuses and angers the culprit as dose leting a tyre or two down but maybe thay will think twice next time i always try and park where i should but sometimes in towns its hard to say if you should park there or not
disco 300tdi xs
109 pickup
caseih 956 turbo 4x4
ih b-275
jd 355
plus banger cars and race cars lol
get in hold on and shut up!

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 01:04:45 »
fair coment..... as I have said before im in favor of fining iligal parkers but clamping them and demanding large amounts of cash is well out off order and needs to be stoped... watch trafic cops at night you will see youths steel cars and go off road and bang up cars put peple in danger etc they get fined like
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline DaveM0YAA

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 01:46:08 »
I'll have to check with a mate of mine but i'm pretty sure i still have a locked undamaged clamp in my old garage.

Got clamped so i got my mate to Hi-ab me away, got home tyres down and clamp off. Wrote to firm informing them of my actions and telling them they currenlty owed me

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 14:13:19 »
police caught up with me about the clamp... they just took the clamp of me and told me to pay
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
  • Who Said I can't go there?????
    • Near the next village in Hertfordshire
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 14:54:24 »
In the town near me there is a lesure park Cinema, restrants, Bowling ally, 2 night clubs and enterence Footonly to Railway station.

There was a period when they were clamping willy nilly that got in to the local press, as company doing the clamping said the recipts from these places wern't proff the people had used them... So not much trade there now, anyway I've not been in the for 3 or 4 years,

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 18:49:14 »
I'll have to check with a mate of mine but i'm pretty sure i still have a locked undamaged clamp in my old garage.

Got clamped so i got my mate to Hi-ab me away, got home tyres down and clamp off. Wrote to firm informing them of my actions and telling them they currenlty owed me

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 23:36:43 »

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 21:36:55 »
Shoot them..
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal