AuthorTopic: wheel clampers  (Read 6172 times)

Offline dxmedia

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: wheel clampers
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 21:58:12 »
Just as a thought, has anyone with a lifted truck with enough clearance tried driving with a clamp on, and what would the implications be?
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 00:49:08 »
Tyre damage.  I wonder if you would be liable for damaging the clamp in that  manner.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline bobtailed disco

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 10:16:42 »

:police: sorry sir didn't see it  :lol:  :lol:

Offline DaveM0YAA

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 09:12:13 »
A friend of mine with a Rover 200 found his car had been clamped but they'd put it on the passenger side with ticket on the windscreen (suppose to clamp drivers side with warning sticker on drivers door).
The damaged caused by the clamp he "didn't see" wrote the car of, so he sued the clamping company and won.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 10:16:38 »
Best thing to do to a rover 200  :lol:
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 00:59:06 »
it was fine until I tryed to turn a corner. riped my wing up like a can opener and riped the break lines bent drag link

i only went up the road slow to where he couldent fined me to call my mate to bring the cutters

il put the picture up when i get a chance

the clamp was fine lol
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:58 »
Same effect as fitting tyres which are too big for your suspension height/steering lock stops really!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Discotel

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 16:55:41 »
Right guys I have a 100% definative answer for this post, AS I WAS CLAMPED MYSELF (
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 17:27:51 by Discotel »

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 23:43:04 »
The sooner the gov't make it illegal the better, except of course these theiving scum will just find another way of extorting money from people.  I'm very surprised though that if a clamper blocks your path then sticks a clamp on it that the police didn't see that as suspicious.  Maybe they only go the extra mile when they have a film crew with them.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 08:59:01 »
"blocked by barrier" ~ entrapment, take them to court.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Discotel

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 12:56:22 »
The police were there when they said block by barrier, I said thats crap you are stopping me leaving a place I should'nt be in anyway...They said as it was private land the rules are different...What a joke....

The goverment have banned it but it wont take effect until next year...that means that the clampers will be out in force to get as much money as possible from people before they ban it...

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 20:06:35 »
If there is someone in the drivers seat with keys and can legally drive that car, then it's not parked, it's waiting. Different law. Can't be clamped for waiting.

I'm 90% sure on that, but dont take it as gospel.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 21:46:31 »
im getting a sthil saw to keep in my boot just incase..
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Discotel

Attack Member
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 19:53:13 »
LOL....at the last 2 posts....I of course argued this fact that if my wife was in the drivers seat then they can not clamp it...Guess what I got told......Its a 50/50 choice as yes she is in charge of the vehicle. but it is still parked, ie not moving so you can still be clamped/blocked in...As for the stihl saw...lol....I have every tool you can think of in my van and if there had of left me alone the clamp would have been off in 30 seconds flat...BUT as they do not leave until you pay them cutting it off in front of them would leave me open to criminal damage...

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 20:17:06 »
So if your sitting at traffic lights with the engine running your parked?   Na no your not.  Sounds like you were railroaded into paying.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2010, 20:24:04 »
There appears to be a difference between parking and waiting.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-17581800-when-you-can-park-on-double-yellows.do

Illegally parked cars should be moved on but not ticketed if the driver is present and vehicles with diplomatic plates should be ticketed but not clamped.

But going into google on it, it looks like a complete minefield. Best thing to do is put a claim back in for the money.  Did the people who did the clamping have a licence? If not it's illegal for them to clamp anyway.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline Discotel

Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2010, 19:36:21 »
Thanks for the advice mate, but please trust me on this... I checked, double checked and checked again....They were SIA registered, I even called the SIA to make sure...I checked with the land owner, and he confirmed he gave them permisson to clamp there....Because it is on private land the same rules of the public road do not apply, ie if a traffic warden comes along with you in the car he of course will give you the chance to move, but because these scum get paid per clamp they will not...The police said they were doing NOTHING WRONG and had not broken any laws...When you are told this what else can you do...The traffic lights scenario...If the car is not moving with you in it...Then you are waiting, but the car is isnt waiting for anything, its a car therefore parked/stationary..The law expects this on a public road and as such would not clamp you, on private land its different....And with regards to getting the money back via the courts...The company in question were on Watchdog and owe other people who they WRONGLY clamped a total of

Offline Niel

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2010, 23:12:50 »
Thanks for the advice mate, but please trust me on this... I checked, double checked and checked again....They were SIA registered, I even called the SIA to make sure...I checked with the land owner, and he confirmed he gave them permisson to clamp there....Because it is on private land the same rules of the public road do not apply, ie if a traffic warden comes along with you in the car he of course will give you the chance to move, but because these scum get paid per clamp they will not...The police said they were doing NOTHING WRONG and had not broken any laws...When you are told this what else can you do...The traffic lights scenario...If the car is not moving with you in it...Then you are waiting, but the car is isnt waiting for anything, its a car therefore parked/stationary..The law expects this on a public road and as such would not clamp you, on private land its different....And with regards to getting the money back via the courts...The company in question were on Watchdog and owe other people who they WRONGLY clamped a total of

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 09:19:25 »

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2010, 21:44:18 »
In the town near me there is a lesure park Cinema, restrants, Bowling ally, 2 night clubs and enterence Footonly to Railway station.

There was a period when they were clamping willy nilly that got in to the local press, as company doing the clamping said the recipts from these places wern't proff the people had used them... So not much trade there now, anyway I've not been in the for 3 or 4 years,

That'll be Stevenage then  :-k

Nothing seems to get people worked up more than parking. It's something we all have to do, and most of the time where we do it is in our hands.

There's a big difference between on-street parking, off-street parking and parking on private land. Private parking enforcement is lucrative, and it's up to the land owner how they manage it. If they don't want people parking there at all then a barrier is the easy option to stop people getting on to the private land in the first place. If they permit parking they can set the rules and the charges as they see fit. Don't agree with them? Don't park there. If you're allowed an hour and stay for 65 minutes you've overstayed.

It's a bit like speeding: we know the rules, we play the game, and sometimes we get caught out...
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal