AuthorTopic: CB Mounting  (Read 14753 times)

Offline SWEETY

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
CB Mounting
« on: October 16, 2009, 21:33:20 »
I was wondering is anyone had any pic's or ideas where to mount a CB in a D2. I'm not really a big fan of cutting my interior up which I would have to to fit the CB into the drivers side map pocket above the visor :( I'm after a sort of factory look if I can & have a new ex speaker so blocking the standard speaker is not a prob for me
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Landyrover

Attack Member
Re: CB Mounting
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 22:57:38 »
I'm interested in how others have done this too - at the moment I velcro mine to the transmission tunnel! Quite a good spot until it drops off! Somebody on the web used self-tapping screws to fix the mount to the plastic trim just above it, but I'm afraid of drilling into whatever lies beneath (air conditioning pipe work)? See http://www.land-rover-discovery.co.uk/installing-a-cb-in-a-land-rover/

This chap has done a very neat installation too http://www.land-rover-discovery.co.uk/installing-a-cb-in-a-land-rover/

Cheers,

Nick
"You know, Marge, mud is nothing more than wet dirt!" (Homer Simpson)
2007 Defender 90 XS TDCi

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:26:52 »

try not to leve it on show. i got my window pluged a few months back for my cb. crazy
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Landyrover

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:16:15 »
Sorry to hear that :(  - an advantage of the temporary velcro solution is that the cb can be removed easily...
2007 Defender 90 XS TDCi

Offline Mud_Medic

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 17:41:35 »
I just wedge the CB between the passenger seat and the transmission tunnel. (and use an external speaker in the cubby box in the transmission tunnel.

I also have a VHF 2 way radio mounted on top of the dash. I have removed the rubber mat and fixed into the dash. I can then remove the mounts and then put the rubber mat back to cover up the holes.

Ed

If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT

Offline Disco_Dennis

Attack Member
    • Nr Sandy, Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 00:16:08 »
I also have a VHF 2 way radio mounted on top of the dash. I have removed the rubber mat and fixed into the dash. I can then remove the mounts and then put the rubber mat back to cover up the holes.

Mine install sounds similar, radio on dash, even the power cable & coax goes through a hole under where the mat would be.  RG58 to the amp on the back of the console, then mini-8 to the twig, which is affixed to an HGV  mirror-mount bolted to my light bar.  If I ever come to remove it, just put the mat back and all will be covered up.  :grin:

Pics:--

1996 LRSV Ex HMC Rescue Discovery 2.8 Isuzu -  Lift, 235/85's, Light bar, Snorkel, RRC front bumper - You'll know it if you see it!!

1989 Silver 3dr Disco 200 V8  -  pickup project

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:08:56 »
Dump your stereo systems and fit a rig with DIN mount in the hole.
http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/din-mounts.html

Intek m150 maybe be best for this as it has a forward facing speaker.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Disco_Dennis

Attack Member
    • Nr Sandy, Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:14:28 »
Is there a DIN unit that will do what the ranger does?  I think not...  DUMP MY STEREO!!!  :shock: :shock: NEVER
1996 LRSV Ex HMC Rescue Discovery 2.8 Isuzu -  Lift, 235/85's, Light bar, Snorkel, RRC front bumper - You'll know it if you see it!!

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:21:35 »
Is there a DIN unit that will do what the ranger does?  I think not...  DUMP MY STEREO!!!  :shock: :shock: NEVER

okay - was only a half hearted suggestion valid was for those whom are unlicensed CB radio users with legal type approved *CB* radio installations without cheapy ZETAGI linears etc whom do not want to risk equipment confiscation if pulled at a VOSA mulit-agency road side check. If I was to suggest otherwise to legality it wouldn't be a Ranger 2950 :roll: , it would be something like a unrestricted Yaesu FT857 with it's remote head kit which fits very nicely on a DIN blank or a dozen other convenient locations, and just fits in you pocket on removal just like a face off stereo, does everything a Ranger 2950 does and a whole lot more including BBC Radio1.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:40:43 by Tanglefoot »

Offline Disco_Dennis

Attack Member
    • Nr Sandy, Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 10:15:08 »
Firstly, I am a licensed amateur.  I Have been  for over 15 years.

Ranger = £180 - Yaesu 857 = £500+  :shock: (and won't receive DAB) - Not worth it for use in a car I only paid 800 quid for! Zetagi linear there pecisely because it is cheap & only works on 10m-12m like the radio does.

Furthermore, I never suggested using any transceiver - modded, legal, licensed or unlicensed - only a way of mounting & installing equipment as an example.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:34:19 by Disco_Dennis »

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 10:41:07 »
Firstly, I am a licensed amateur.  I Have been  for over 15 years.

Ranger = £180 - Yaesu 857 = £500+  :shock: (and won't receive DAB) - Not worth it for use in a car I only paid 800 quid for! Zetagi linear there pecisely because it is cheap & only works on 10m-12m like the radio does.

Furthermore, I never suggested using any transceiver - modded, legal, licensed or unlicensed - only a way of mounting & installing equipment as an example.

Like said it was a suggestion for original poster, i.e CB radio mounting idea, so there was not need to even for you to come back and poo poo that suggestion with "Is there a DIN unit that will do what the ranger does?  I think not..."
when ...
a) the ranger isn't even a CB (and would still illegal if used as a transmitter on CB frequencies even when ham licensed...and no I don't care if you do or don't do that, and I may or may not do likewise myself)
b) I wasn't even posting about your install.  :-#

So natural to post a defensive retaliation.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:48:10 by Tanglefoot »

Offline Disco_Dennis

Attack Member
    • Nr Sandy, Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:47:14 »
a) the ranger isn't even a CB (and would still illegal if used as a transmitter on CB frequencies even when ham licensed...and no I don't care if you do or don't do that, and I may or may not do likewise myself)

a) ~Yes, illegal to TX, not RX.  I  never said the Ranger was a CB, I never said it was a Ranger!  The connection types used ARE the same as a CB, though.

b) ~You weren't posting asbout my install?  You refered to it directly, giving model numbers and makes!

Defensive?  Don't tell me YOU wouldn't have been!  :roll:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:50:33 by Disco_Dennis »

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 10:49:16 »

a) ~Yes, to TX, not RX.

b) ~You weren't posting asbout my install?  You refered to it directly, giving model numbers and makes!

That's why I said illegal for use as a transmitter. And yes my original post nothing to do with your install....

Offline Disco_Dennis

Attack Member
    • Nr Sandy, Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 10:52:25 »
Original reply, no, but what about your attack on my install before you knew the facts?

was only a half hearted suggestion valid was for those whom are unlicensed CB radio users with legal type approved *CB* radio installations without cheapy ZETAGI linears etc whom do not want to risk equipment confiscation if pulled at a VOSA mulit-agency road side check. If I was to suggest otherwise to legality it wouldn't be a Ranger 2950 :roll: , it would be something like a unrestricted Yaesu FT857 with it's remote head kit which fits very nicely on a DIN blank or a dozen other convenient locations, and just fits in you pocket on removal just like a face off stereo, does everything a Ranger 2950 does and a whole lot more including BBC Radio1.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 11:00:21 »
Original reply, no, but what about your attack on my install before you knew the facts?

was only a half hearted suggestion valid was for those whom are unlicensed CB radio users with legal type approved *CB* radio installations without cheapy ZETAGI linears etc whom do not want to risk equipment confiscation if pulled at a VOSA mulit-agency road side check. If I was to suggest otherwise to legality it wouldn't be a Ranger 2950 :roll: , it would be something like a unrestricted Yaesu FT857 with it's remote head kit which fits very nicely on a DIN blank or a dozen other convenient locations, and just fits in you pocket on removal just like a face off stereo, does everything a Ranger 2950 does and a whole lot more including BBC Radio1.

oh sweet gees :roll: thread ruiner.
  Let me explain *AGAIN* My original post had nothing to do with you install, wasn't even a reply to you..... so my question is why did you poo poo *THAT* original suggestion WITH your comment "Is there a DIN unit that will do what the ranger does?  I think not..." when a) ranger isn't a CB and b) my post had nothing to do with your install.
You post implied that no DIN unit will do what you Ranger does, and so what? we are talking about CB's, I do not even know why you bothered to mention that.  (no I don't want to read your reply on thread, PM it or something as I lost the will to live)

Anything I posted after has nothing to do with that point. All clear now? if not then PM.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:08:03 by Tanglefoot »

Offline Disco_Dennis

Attack Member
    • Nr Sandy, Bedfordshire
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:08:34 »
Fair comment.

:troll:  :-'
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:13:45 by Disco_Dennis »

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 11:28:03 »
I had a Disco 1 for 12 years and had my C.B. in several positions.
I was not bothered about putting holes in the dash or anywhere else for that matter,
why worry when one day it will not be your Dsicovery anyway!
Your just giving yourself problems for soemone else to enjoy the benefits!
(a bit like seat covers! my pet hate!)

Anyway, I had it up on the roof, the roof lining will take self tappers and support a C.B. just behind and to the right of the sun visor, a good spot and out of sight of your average low life scum bag.
I also had it fixed with self tappers to the side of the tunnel trim but it was often kicked when jumping in and out.
Under the dash, below and to the right of the steering colum is a good spot, it will cover the fuse box but a couple of self tappers are not too much to screw out if you need to get at the fuses.
It was down the side of the cubby box for a while but I found the best spot was fixed with self tappers to the back of the cubby box, if you carry lots of kids though this could take a few knocks but if you go laning kid-less then this would be your best place, also out of sight to a certain extent as the scumbags would most often look in the fornt seat areas.
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 11:39:37 »
Anyway, I had it up on the roof, the roof lining will take self tappers and support a C.B. just behind and to the right of the sun visor, a good spot and out of sight of your average low life scum bag.

I like roof installs (had same in series1 and defender) no need for external speaker as it right there blasting out near head height. Other than mount only considerations are microphone flex might annoy and on some radio the display (esp if crystal) might not be visible/clear when viewing at angle from below. There is a thread on thsi forum with this photo.... a whole custom roof console....

Offline Landyrover

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 12:03:25 »
Nice! Beats velcro!  :lol:
2007 Defender 90 XS TDCi

Offline stretchy

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 17:35:50 »

that roof console is of the hook... where is the link for that ?? id put some kenwood 6x9s in that lol  :dance:
All the Gear, No Idea!

I break land rovers!

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 18:46:34 »

that roof console is of the hook... where is the link for that ?? id put some kenwood 6x9s in that lol  :dance:
here is the main thread...
http://www.mud-club.com/forum/index.php/topic,60958.msg531323.html#msg531323

stuntman's work, is he still around?

Could do the same in MDF n fibreglass/filler moulding akin to custom speaker pods and stuff in the max power world.  In my defender I took the standard LR defender radio carrier that normally fits to the dash board but mounted it between the sun visors and relocated the cabin lamp below it. Fibreglass/filler wash to shape it for a CB fitting. It kinda worked well. Hmmm... I bonded two rivinut to the roof lining to mount at the rear and the front lip wedged under the sunroof rubber, it was surprisingly firm, no problems with the big bumps of heavy offroad. Could have down with holes or grill on the under side for speaker.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 19:05:19 by Tanglefoot »

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 20:14:34 »
Thanks guy's as the pic's etc are giving me some ideas ;) :D
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 20:28:31 »
I mounted mine between the sun visors, but without a neat box of any sort (just drilled a couple of holes and screwed the bracket to the trim). It works a treat assuming you don't have a sunroof.

There is a very handy piece of kit out there that allows you to put your mic on a spring-loaded retracting cord. Basically after pulling it down to use I simply let it slip gently through my fingers, and it goes back to the stowed position. There seems to be ample strength in the spring.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 20:33:59 »
I mounted mine between the sun visors, but without a neat box of any sort (just drilled a couple of holes and screwed the bracket to the trim). It works a treat assuming you don't have a sunroof.
:lol: my series1 had the bracket top cb cover riveted directly to the roof itself

It couldn't be stolen quickly without wrecking it that's for sure.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 20:42:29 by Tanglefoot »

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 20:40:58 »
My one of those mic clips was a pain up there - the mic kept falling out and hitting me!  :lol:

http://www.gearkeeper.com/communication/cbmickeeper.html is what I replaced it with - cost me about £16 on ebay including postage from the USA. I didn't get the sideburns or moustache however!  :lol:

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 20:45:26 »
My one of those mic clips was a pain up there - the mic kept falling out and hitting me!  :lol:

http://www.gearkeeper.com/communication/cbmickeeper.html is what I replaced it with - cost me about £16 on ebay including postage from the USA. I didn't get the sideburns or moustache however!  :lol:

yeah it fell out a lot, was a sign I was driving to fast over bumps. I seen those gadgets before, they look a good investment for such an install, does it whip back fast or is it braked? That guy looks like he might hang around road stop latrines a little longer than needed...

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 20:51:34 »
I did have to modify the "Gear Keeper" to shorten it. I removed the upper clip, replaced it with a bolt through the pivot holes and put a couple of screws through the gap between the box and the bolt so the box is solidly attached to the trim. I then shortened the elastic bit that attaches to the mic.

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 16:00:55 »

I like roof installs (had same in series1 and defender) no need for external speaker as it right there blasting out near head height. Other than mount only considerations are microphone flex might annoy and on some radio the display (esp if crystal) might not be visible/clear when viewing at angle from below. There is a thread on thsi forum with this photo.... a whole custom roof console....

Like the idea of the console but not sure about the chequer plate. After all how often are you going to be stood up there??  :doh:  chequer plate does have it's place but it's outside on panels that you are likely to stand on. any where else is just chavvy bling.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 17:23:29 »
Like the idea of the console but not sure about the chequer plate. After all how often are you going to be stood up there??  :doh:  chequer plate does have it's place but it's outside on panels that you are likely to stand on. any where else is just chavvy bling.

cool thanks for the fashion advice redhand, now that we know it's not in vogue who would want to make the mistake of being seen dead in chav checker bling  :thumbup: Never mind that it was mk1 attempt probably made of off cut material that was freely to hand that is light, strong and easy to cut, machine and maintain.

mattyme

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 20:52:50 »
blimey.... handbags at dawn!!!

calm don children.... itll all end in tears before bedtime!!! lol   :P :P :P :P :P :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal