AuthorTopic: what offroader should i get next  (Read 2761 times)

Offline lambert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
  • Referrals: 0
what offroader should i get next
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:00:09 »
time has caught up with the mav, the metal worms  haven't been kind.

so what to replace it with?

needs to be cheaper to run both fuel and tax. needs to be in the sub four grand price bracket. needs to be able to seat four adults and a dog. needs to be good offroad for lanes and bog hoping. needs to be comfy and usable for the commute.

don't want a green oval product but otherwise I have looked at jimny's to l200.

just after more ideas, cheers in advance.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Silvery Thing

Re: what offroader should i get next
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 16:40:53 »
Maybe you could consider a Land Cruiser. They are easy to come by and are very reliable :dance:

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 18:00:27 »
no green oval product  :shock: each to there own  :lol: :clap:

i know a man who speaks highly of his mitsu shogun or pajero cant remember which is which ( green plugger )

my brother likes his frontera, but i wasnt impressed at its offroading ( from what i saw )
could someone help me with advising him where to get a lift and snorkel from for his frontera

those toyota surfs with a lift and wider tyres look like they can off-road but ive not seen one to be fair.

otherwise, a dsico would be perfect for you, or even a 110, or a rangie lol  :P

hope ive helped

cheers kieran
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline bilge rat

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 21:10:56 »
why not a landy then ,,?. reliability ?.  just interested. alan....

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 21:16:32 »
why not a landy then ,,?. reliability ?.  just interested. alan....
After reading his reply's on previous subject he's pretty Anti Green oval For some reason??? :| :| But for me if it wasn't anything green oval Then it would have to be Almost anything Toyota all day long...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 21:21:28 by dreadnought110 »
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline bilge rat

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 22:56:35 »
funny ive always thought that ,but me mate has just bought a new toyota pick up . hi lux ?. deisel. been back twice to the dealer already with injector problems. think hes a bit fed up of it . hes still got hids disco though. ;). alan....

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 23:32:31 »
why no green oval?

a few reasons, mostly regarding reliability but also cos in this country if you are into offroading there's a perception that you have to have a landy to be taken seriously. I know that's as much of a stereotype as their reliability but it isn't without some substance.

so anyway a toyota smurf sounds interesting what are they like to own and offroad
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline MudRat

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 17:54:37 »
why no green oval?

cos in this country if you are into offroading there's a perception that you have to have a landy to be taken seriously. I know that's as much of a stereotype as their reliability but it isn't without some substance.

:-. :-. :-. :-. :-. :-. :-. :-. :-. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Silvery Thing

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 18:06:10 »
so anyway a toyota smurf sounds interesting what are they like to own and offroad
The Smurf is a good car with the typical and accepted Toyota reliability. Although not quite as big as the LC they are very capable when off-road and a good match for many other 4x4 cars on the market :)

Offline Gav_T

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 18:32:46 »
A bloke who i go off roading with has got a smurf. Its capable enough, but its expensive when it goes wrong, which anything will when off roaded. Short wheelbase land cruiser? Or even a merc g wagon? Lockers front and back  :D

Gav.

Offline laser_jock99

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 20:48:10 »

those toyota surfs with a lift and wider tyres look like they can off-road but ive not seen one to be fair.

kieran

Have a look in my offroad galleries:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/laser_jock99/Offroad%20and%204x4%20Photos/

or here:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/coppermine/index.php?cat=2

www.hiluxsurf.co.uk (home Surf forum)
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/laser_jock99/
http://www.photoboxgallery.com/4x4 (more 4x4 photos)
http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=103 (Online Gallery Of My Surf)
Car: 1993 Toyota Hilux Surf
Model: 3.0L TD SSR-X
Mods: 2" Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift 33" MT tyres,
Colour: Brown over blue

Offline bilge rat

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 21:10:51 »
why no green oval?

a few reasons, mostly regarding reliability but also cos in this country if you are into offroading there's a perception that you have to have a landy to be taken seriously. I know that's as much of a stereotype as their reliability but it isn't without some substance.
 was just interested, wish i hadnt have asked. only kiddin . do like me landys but as you say the amount of times ive said thats it ,its going. seem to spend more time under red than in it. have thought about the alternative but do like the basic set up of the landy and the cheap parts . even iff you do need more of them..alan..

littlepow

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 22:02:12 »
What about a Jeep Cherokee?

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 23:16:43 »
I don't know too much  about cherokee jeeps, but I always thought of them as being a tad too friendly with the fuel company's, if you catch my drift, or are they livable with?

oh and something about they all had to do the rubicon trail befor they got signed off or was that another brand?
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 23:35:50 »
Land Cruiser, if i wasn't landy mad that would be my choice, The long wheel base versions are brilliant, they take up to 39 inch tires with no mods as the drivetrain is rock solid, comfort of a range rover. I know a few people that took them to morocco and had nothing bad to say
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline LiftedDisco

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 12:26:34 »
Nissan Patrol...

I will confess to being wedded to LR, but understand that others have opinions too!!!  [-X

Seriously - I have also had a LWB patrol which went on forever with just oil and diesel, also had an old slab sided white LWB that we sold with abourt 210k on it to a chap who was going to run it on heating oil (apparently you add old engine oil to give it a bit of lubrication...  :shock:)

They also do a very capable SWB version but I think that they are fairly rare... If you want a bit of work, there is this on e-blag... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Damaged-Nissan-Patrol-SWB-Turbo-Diesel-99-S_W0QQitemZ190213196401QQihZ009QQcategoryZ18238QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Might be worth an offer as the rest of it appears to be OK, low miles etc...

Hope these ramblings help

Rob
Discovery 300 Tdi - 2" lift, side exit exhaust, HD bumpers, T-Maxx 9500, removable tow hitch, snorkel and 235/85's

Discovery 4 Commercial - very standard but very nice!

Freelander 2 TD4 - Fun Prevention Officer's

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 12:36:27 »
How about a back door Land Rover?

I don't know much about them but some of the stuff TATA make looks pretty decent.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline 666

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 12:55:41 »
but also cos in this country if you are into offroading there's a perception that you have to have a landy to be taken seriously.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

How very true!

Have you thought of the Frontera? (i know im going to get shot down here) The later ones have almost exactly the same suspension set up as your Maverick, the diesel engines are pretty reliable and economical and they are a comfortable too! Due to the bad press they so wrongly get they can be picked up quite cheap!

If you wanted a more robust off roader though i would choose something along the lines of a Toyota, possibly a Landcruiser ;)

Cheers

Mark

ps, No im not anti Landrover either :lol: :lol:

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 15:01:51 »
yes i have to agree that fronteras are certainly a cheap buy just look at any where who sells them, just a shame when they break they cost a bomb

suzukis seem cheap to fix, am i right?
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline 666

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 15:12:52 »
A Frontera is not realy any different in price to fix than any other motor :lol: :lol:
Some dealer ony parts can be a bit pricey but there are a lot more pattern parts out there now bringing the price right down, also a lot of parts are interchangable with other model cars!

Ebay is a source of used parts too, and if you have a problem that you cant work out there are dedicated forums out there http://fronteratech.freeforums.org/index.php plus the site i set up  http://muddyfronteras.informe.com/index.php

Cheers

Mark

Drift

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 15:52:40 »
Frontera parts do cost a bit more than landies but landies have a bigger aftermarket parts bin, plus they go wrong a tad more Im led to believe  :-#

Sorry Ill get back under me rock  :oops:

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 16:59:54 »
Frontera parts do cost a bit more than landies but landies have a bigger aftermarket parts bin, plus they go wrong a tad more Im led to believe  :-#

Sorry Ill get back under me rock  :oops:

id climb back out if I were you cos you are right about landies :lol:
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 17:10:31 »
id love to see your point but, i have to say this jumping on my high horse as you like to call it, either im a good driver which is doubtfull or some people are significantly over exajerating the landys unreliability issues, ( excuse my spelling please ) i havnt broke mine properly once in the 2 years of owning it, fair does bits have worn out like wheel bearing and the filler cap on engine for oil, but what more do you want for a 21 year old vehicle that has been treated really hard? and again i do appologise but show me an equal?

jumping off my high horse,

personally go for a mass produced car because aftermarket bits are better and cheaper,

cheers the high horse man  :lol:
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline L200 CARLOS

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 17:38:33 »
Get urself an L200  man!  :twisted:

pretty much same running gear as a paj but more useful  :P

check it out 

l200 cowm

l200 korc

l200 slindon

l200 welsh river  :lol:

l200 sibbertoft

and again
L200 ANIMAL
3" body lift
2"suspension lift
35" tyres-coopers stt's

marjan

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 19:26:35 »
How about a Shogun?, just sold my Landy 90 and bought an LPG 3.0 V6 SWB Shogun which I am going to lift 2" and put MT's on. By the way it is 1996 and was only £2,500. AG Romano multipoint LPG on it cost £1600 so I think I got a good deal.

Offline CNorman

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 19:41:32 »
The Smurf is a good car with the typical and accepted Toyota reliability. Although not quite as big as the LC they are very capable when off-road and a good match for many other 4x4 cars on the market :)

I have to disagree with that. The surf has a waterway in the head which corrodes, opens out and cuases damage. It is a well known fact. That said i would still have one.

I dont think landy owners are considered "specially". Landrovers were one of the last to retain ladder chassis, low ratio boxes, diff lcoks and traction control. They also have lots of spare parts which are cheap.

I sold my disco and went Jap but make no mistake landys are up there with the best of them. A 300tdi disco can be had in great condition with a difflock siezed through non use for 2K. A furhter £350 in off road parts and £250 in tyres will turn that into an awsome off roader!

Cheap wrecks old rangies etc can be had for £600!

£4000 would get you a MINT 300tdi or possibly even an early td5.
 :afro:

Offline CNorman

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 19:45:17 »
By the way, my mate had a surf which had the head go and then the injection pump. Have you ever bought spares for a Jap? I have a little 1.6GV. £190 for an egr valve!!!!!!!!! £115 for an oxygen sensor!!! Any dealer only parts (of which there are lots!) are going to cost you a great deal.

Landys seem to have lots of pattern parts and are VERY cheap.

I am at a stage in my life where time is of the essence and i would rather have the (somewhat debatable) reliability of a Jap than Landy but landys are cheaper and easier to work on!

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 20:41:35 »
Regarding Jeeps Petrol's are thirsty but never heard anything that bad about them but the diesel's mainly the VM engine are pants brilliant while running but reknown for head trouble... :) Oh and electric's can be troublsome... :|
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline bilge rat

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 22:01:22 »
used to work for a jeep dealer , grands used to eat diffs, very thirsty, and as drednaught says the vm deisel was a pain. ive always fancied an l200  animal. alan....

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 08:02:03 »
used to work for a jeep dealer , grands used to eat diffs, very thirsty, and as drednaught says the vm deisel was a pain. ive always fancied an l200  animal. alan....

I had a Grand Vitara, super bit of kit, went everywhere never got stuck. there are some after market bit, however could not get a snorkel for it.

I now run a Terrano2, have 7 seats. Its  agood car however I am having to have a new turbo put on it as the old one broke. I'm a tad fed up, but the garage said it a bit of a one off... he said "if it was a landie i wouldn't be suprised but a Terrano has suprised me."

I have the T2 as it was good value and as a rule relaible, however if I could have a car that is not used by the wife and kids so much it would be a Landrover 90 of some kind, just for the hell of it. Plus deep down I have always wanted one.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal