AuthorTopic: bang/clonk coming from steering?  (Read 6531 times)

Offline benbenukuk

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
bang/clonk coming from steering?
« on: April 02, 2008, 16:02:49 »
Most of the time when I turn the steering wheel I will get a loud bang/clonk from the front of the rangie and the whole front jumps when it's a big one, I have been told it's the panard rod bushes would this correct? if not any ideas? Ben
1989 3.5 v8 range rover classic with 3.9 efi system, 6'' lift, +5'' dampers, dislocation cones all round, 12500ib T-Max winch, steering guard, custom made rock sliders, light pod, custom made side exit exhaust, welded front and rear diff guards, full roof rack, 35/12.50R15 BFG Muds, CB Radio, Twin Batteries, Rear ARB Locker :)

Offline Bobtail

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Re: bang/clonk coming from steering?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 16:31:09 »
Most of the time when I turn the steering wheel I will get a loud bang/clonk from the front of the rangie and the whole front jumps when it's a big one, I have been told it's the panard rod bushes would this correct? if not any ideas? Ben

Sounds like it too me

get someone inside the car with the engine running and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock

while you look under the front of the car

you will be able to see the panard rod moving in its brackets where it joins the axle and at the chassis end
200 TDI Range Rover Classiic

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 17:08:11 »
this is going to sound stupid but here goes what should I be looking for and how do I tell if a bush has gone?  :oops:
1989 3.5 v8 range rover classic with 3.9 efi system, 6'' lift, +5'' dampers, dislocation cones all round, 12500ib T-Max winch, steering guard, custom made rock sliders, light pod, custom made side exit exhaust, welded front and rear diff guards, full roof rack, 35/12.50R15 BFG Muds, CB Radio, Twin Batteries, Rear ARB Locker :)

Offline Bobtail

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 17:19:36 »
this is going to sound stupid but here goes what should I be looking for and how do I tell if a bush has gone?  :oops:

when you move the steering from side to side....

If you look where the panard rod attachs the rod will move as you move the steering wheel

hope this helps

where abouts in the world are you ben?

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 18:35:44 »
I'm in Kent, There is very slight movement at full lock but apart from that there is no other movement, is there anything else it could be?  Ben

Offline Bobtail

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 18:47:49 »
I'm in Kent, There is very slight movement at full lock but apart from that there is no other movement, is there anything else it could be?  Ben

Jack it up and check wheel bearings as mine are worn a little and make the same noise

Jacked mine up yesterday and i have play in drivers side so have ordered new sets and disc's(mot advise)

And do them at the weekend

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 11:08:44 »
Long shot but remember you have a couple of nylon shear pins in the steering column designed to give up on impact allowing the column to telescope. I have had these shear in the past and it induces a thumping in the steering if you wobble the steering wheel. Doesn't sound like your noise, but thought I'd mention it just in case it's adding to the pasnhard noise.

Skibum

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 17:44:56 »
Forgot to add that it clonks when you go from reverse to drive and vise versa, I have checked the prop and thats solid, I did read on a web-site that it could be the diff?  Ben

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 14:28:46 »
Check the hockey stick bushes aren't loose.  Rusty rem marks around the bolt heads are one giveaway.

Otherwsie wit an assistant try moving off forwardas and reverse and see if you can tell where the noise comes from.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 15:56:58 »
Check the hockey stick bushes aren't loose.  Rusty rem marks around the bolt heads are one giveaway.

Otherwsie wit an assistant try moving off forwardas and reverse and see if you can tell where the noise comes from.

It sounds like it's coming from the front prop

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 16:09:54 »
Does it clonk as you turn the steering or when you are going round a corner?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline hotdog

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 21:51:17 »
my mate had the same thing and it was a snapped tooth in the transfer box

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 22:17:22 »
Does it clonk as you turn the steering or when you are going round a corner?

Yeah, Mainly on or near full lock.  Ben

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 01:28:41 »
Then possibly a CV as they work harder on corners or a siezed transfer box viscous unit as the differential works harder on tight turns, this could manifest it'self as banging in the transmission if the resulting wind up is being released either by a wheel skipping or by mechanical damage.

Try jacking up a front wheel and in neutral with the handbrake on try to turn the wheel with a wheel nut wrench, it should turn very slowly, very, but if you can't turn it at all then the viscous is siezed.

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 17:27:22 »
Then possibly a CV as they work harder on corners or a siezed transfer box viscous unit as the differential works harder on tight turns, this could manifest it'self as banging in the transmission if the resulting wind up is being released either by a wheel skipping or by mechanical damage.

Try jacking up a front wheel and in neutral with the handbrake on try to turn the wheel with a wheel nut wrench, it should turn very slowly, very, but if you can't turn it at all then the viscous is siezed.

The viscous unit was taked out and replaced with a centre locking diff, how do I check if it's a CV? thanks, Ben

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 02:25:30 »
It's possible that if you put full lock on then jack up the wheel you might be able to feel a crunching in the hib as you spin it, but that requires very sensitive hands and a bit of luck.  Otherwise it's strip the hub down and remove the stub axle to look inside the swivel.

Offline Bobtail

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 19:47:15 »
Well i changed wheel bearings and disc's on the front of mine and i still have the knocking noise  :-k :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

So if you find out your problem please let ME know so i can check mine [-o< [-o< [-o< :doh: :doh: :doh:

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 01:31:25 »
Bobtail, is youra a regular knock knock knock knock knock as you turn tightish circles :-k

Offline Bobtail

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 14:27:25 »
Mines when you turn left and right it clonks but only if you do opposites

Turn left and it will clonk ,but turn left again and it will not

But then turn right and it will clonk :-k

Sorry Ben not high jacking your thread sounds like we both have problems

Hopefully we can both get them sorted :clap: :dance:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 14:30:53 by Bobtail »

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 15:35:11 »
Your could be the panhard rod that's loose then :-k  if it's just one biggish clonk, or the drop arm loose 8-[

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 15:37:07 »
How easy is it to strip down the hub etc. and renew the CV joint's?

Offline Bobtail

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 00:03:48 »
Your could be the panhard rod that's loose then :-k  if it's just one biggish clonk, or the drop arm loose 8-[
:-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

Will check tomorrow

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 00:09:09 »

Not massivley hard.

-Wheel off
-Calliper off (you may have to remove the top swivel pin bolts to move the brake pipe bracket, hold the hub up with a jack to stop oil escaping then put the botls back in.
-non-ABS axles, remove the outer drive shaft
Remove the hub nuts and hub/bearing/disk assy
remove the stub axle
pull the CV out, the half shaft may come with it in whch case support the half shaft to protect the oil seal inside the chrome swivel once it is away from the halfshaft bearing

-ABS axles, remove the circlip and the shims below it, keep them safe (you find them under a black palastic cap)
remove the outer drive flange
Remove the hub nuts and remove the hub/bearing/disk assy
remove the stub axle, carefully it has an oil seal within
withdraw the CV/halfshaft assy as the CV is secured to the shaft with a snap ring, be careful to protect the oil seal inside the chrome swivel as there is no bearing to supprt the halfshaft

If nothing goes wrong, maybe an hour, maybe 2.

Things to be careful of-

The stub axle bolts can pull metal out of the threads into the steering knuckle, it's cast iron.  If the female thread is damaged the knuckle is scrap
Check the stub axle carefully for signs of damaged from a siezed bearing, the surface dameg can stop the bearing running true and the heat damage will effect the stub axle's hardness/strength
support the calliper on a bucket, you can get away without disconnecting the brake hydraulics if you are careful with the short pipes on the calliper.

Oil will escape from the swivle, best to drain it before you start.  You'll proabably find it begins to leaks afterwards anyway regardless, they do that :evil:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 00:10:53 by Range Rover Blues »

Offline Bobtail

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 11:21:42 »

Not massivley hard.

-Wheel off
-Calliper off (you may have to remove the top swivel pin bolts to move the brake pipe bracket, hold the hub up with a jack to stop oil escaping then put the botls back in.
-non-ABS axles, remove the outer drive shaft
Remove the hub nuts and hub/bearing/disk assy
remove the stub axle
pull the CV out, the half shaft may come with it in whch case support the half shaft to protect the oil seal inside the chrome swivel once it is away from the halfshaft bearing

-ABS axles, remove the circlip and the shims below it, keep them safe (you find them under a black palastic cap)
remove the outer drive flange
Remove the hub nuts and remove the hub/bearing/disk assy
remove the stub axle, carefully it has an oil seal within
withdraw the CV/halfshaft assy as the CV is secured to the shaft with a snap ring, be careful to protect the oil seal inside the chrome swivel as there is no bearing to supprt the halfshaft

If nothing goes wrong, maybe an hour, maybe 2.

Things to be careful of-

The stub axle bolts can pull metal out of the threads into the steering knuckle, it's cast iron.  If the female thread is damaged the knuckle is scrap
Check the stub axle carefully for signs of damaged from a siezed bearing, the surface dameg can stop the bearing running true and the heat damage will effect the stub axle's hardness/strength
support the calliper on a bucket, you can get away without disconnecting the brake hydraulics if you are careful with the short pipes on the calliper.

Oil will escape from the swivle, best to drain it before you start.  You'll proabably find it begins to leaks afterwards anyway regardless, they do that :evil:

And when you put it back together USE A TORQUE WRENCH.. :doh:

And you will not snap a caliper mounting bolt :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: Like i did

Then spend six hours trying to get it out

All setting are in the Haynes book of Lies  [-o< [-o< :clap: :clap:

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 16:02:01 »
Before I have The cv's stripped etc. I thought I would give you a update on the clonk, I drove over a kerb this afternoon with the left front wheel going over it, As it was about to come down it clonked, before the CV gets changed is there anything else it could be that would cause it to clonk when going over a kerb?  Ben

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 01:49:34 »
Yeap, shocker ****ed, and of course with body roll it would also happen on a corner.

Other than that it's back to bushes and loose wheel bearings.

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 12:15:20 »
Have you cheched the shock top and bottom bushes.....I had a clink and a clonk from the rea of the disco every time it shimmied over a bump for about a week and couldnt find the source, forgot to look for the obvious things...........

Rubber bush on the shock bottom dead!

Chris
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 16:42:05 »
I spoke to Des today (my mechanic) he said it's properly the diff, so this Sunday I'm going to attempt to take out the diff and see whats going on in there, wish me luck. :D  Ben

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 22:19:36 »
I know this might be a bit late, but I developed a clunk when cornering after taking off the anti roll bars. I have air suspension and was told that they need to have anti roll bars fitted so I put Mine back on. The clunk didn't disappear straight away but after a couple of days it did and has not come back since

Hope this helps

Jonny

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 22:39:04 »
Little update, The diff was changed to see if it was that banging, It turned out not to be but was told it could be the gearbox/transfer box so next on the list is the transfer box, will keep you posted.  Ben

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal