AuthorTopic: bang/clonk coming from steering?  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Andrewarlee

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: bang/clonk coming from steering?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 23:47:49 »
Hi Ben,

I've just joined this website after reading about your problems. I'm currently having a very similar problem on my LR90 (1987). The symptoms sound almost identical. The most repeatable way to cause the problem is to reverse on full (or almost full) lock, this will result in a single 'chassis shuddering' knock. Then when going forward and taking off the lock another loud knock will occur. I would add that I do a lot of miles in this vehicle and I think that the steering also feels vaguer (than usual that is  ;) ). Unfortunately this is also my everyday car and it has got to the point that I do not wish to take it on to the road until I've sorted it out.

I have looked at my "pan hard" rod and can see no issue. I have only just fitted (6 months ago) a new transfer box so I think it is unlikely that this is the problem.  I had been wandering if it was the front diff or the CV joint / swivel housing, until I read this interesting discussion. As you have tried changing the front diff and my transfer box is only 6month old, I think the problem might be somewhere else. Have you investigated the CV joints/swivels? The other area I was going to investigate was the steering box, I had the car recently serviced at a new garage who claimed that they had been meddling in this area - interestingly just before this problem appear. This would also account for the vagueness in the steering.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the steering box could be the cause of this?
I hope this helps and doesn't muddy the issue further.

I should also add that the problem I'm experience only occurs when you reverse to the left and then drive forward to the right. If it was the transfer box/diffs surely this would occur when steering in both directions? Is this the same for you? If not I will start a new thread as our problems maybe different.

cheers,
Andy.
Ninety, V8 4.6, R380 Gearbox.

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 18:28:04 »
Hi, I haven't looked at the cv's as I have been told they make a clicking sound as you drive, the reason I'm trying the transfer box is because when we took out the front diff and put the diff lock and auto box in neutral you couldn't move the prop, it was solid. It's going in of Tuesday for the change will let you know how it goes.  Ben
1989 3.5 v8 range rover classic with 3.9 efi system, 6'' lift, +5'' dampers, dislocation cones all round, 12500ib T-Max winch, steering guard, custom made rock sliders, light pod, custom made side exit exhaust, welded front and rear diff guards, full roof rack, 35/12.50R15 BFG Muds, CB Radio, Twin Batteries, Rear ARB Locker :)

Offline Andrewarlee

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 19:25:34 »
Hi Ben,

I was interested to know the results with your new transfer box? I had my car up on stands the other day and found that there was a clicking coming from my nearside CV - I could only hear this when I was outside of the car and not driving it. I have not yet road tested it yet as the heavy rain has prevented me from finishing off, however am interested to know how your change went.

cheers.
Andy.
Ninety, V8 4.6, R380 Gearbox.

Offline benbenukuk

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2008, 10:49:47 »
Hi, I haven't got it back yet picking it up on Tuesday  :D But hes sure he sorted it out by changing the Transfer box, what happened was that the diff in the transfer box had gone bang and the clonking I got when going round corners sometimes was the teeth on the cogs, Basically it was all minced up, It was also stuck in diff lock, let me know how yours goes, cheers.  Ben
1989 3.5 v8 range rover classic with 3.9 efi system, 6'' lift, +5'' dampers, dislocation cones all round, 12500ib T-Max winch, steering guard, custom made rock sliders, light pod, custom made side exit exhaust, welded front and rear diff guards, full roof rack, 35/12.50R15 BFG Muds, CB Radio, Twin Batteries, Rear ARB Locker :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal