AuthorTopic: Fuel Protest  (Read 7624 times)

Offline Boggert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel Protest
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:28:03 »
Looks like they are thinking about a fuel protest again...

Do you support them...??

Would you put up with having no fuel as the depos are blocked with protesters...??

I for one would, as i think the price of fuel is crazy in this country??
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:16:26 »
I run on veg oil :) Go for it.

In all fairness something has to be done but this could easilly end up as an own goal if people arent careful.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

littlepow

Re: Fuel Protest
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:33:13 »
Quote from: "Boggert"
Would you put up with having no fuel as the depos are blocked with protesters...??

Wont happen, well not as planned.

Government passed a ruling that the MOD can be used to break blockages and deliver fuel, to assist with the running of the emergency services and support personnel.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
Fuel Protest
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:45:18 »
Whilst i appreciate that fuel prices are subject to market forces, i do object to paying 180 on rfl and >75pc on fuel tax, on the basis of if i am charged more i may be less inclined toward using my 19 mpg truck.

Away back and hug your tree and leave me in peace.

Start taxing volcanoes they have loads more carbon footprint(whatever that is) than my car.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline 666

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:02:21 »
Yep, lets go for it!
I can run on veggie oil too :(biggrin):

Cheers

Mark

Drift

Fuel Protest
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 10:47:39 »
Im up for it, why should we be forced into a corner and use alternative fuels :evil:
We all know that bio/veg fuels will be next to have tax banged on it, so make a stand at the very least let the feelings be known, remember an election is not that far off  :wink:

Offline muddycarl

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 10:52:41 »
yup ....go for it ..
can run on alternative fuels anyway :D
Carl...2.8TDI

Offline Jesska

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:04 »
We can run on LPG so who cares, but they never seem to work, so whats the point? Fuel is the price it is because of the government, not the oil, not the refinement not the transport (although they blame it on these), if they drop fuel prices something else will have to go up to compensate, we'll never win so why make life more difficult by closing roads and causing major tailbacks?

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 11:04:48 »
The way I see it is, if everyone just keeps buying fuel and moaning about it - nothing will happen, as at the end of the day, your still buying it. Your in a rut as you don't wanna pay the prices but your forced to as you need your motor. If anything is to be done about fuel prices then action needs to be taken and if protesting is the only way then so be it. Do you think Mr Brown, who currently is reaping all that fuel tax (TBH he does run a thirsty jag!) is going to think ' :-k hmm, I see there is a petition, i'd better do something about it :^o ' I think not.

Veg oil is an alternative but with no pre heater for veg oil then in this weather and by that I mean the cold starts its not going to be good for some people, but saying that I don't know much about this bio fuel as I'm not running it and haven't looked into it yet  :oops:  :lol:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 11:17:28 »

Do you support them...??

You're an idiot then aren't you? The price will never come down, the speculators in the oil markets and the extreme demand and supply conditions will not allow it. If you don't understand this, don't comment.

What right have you, hauliers and assorted yokels (who don't pay anything like the same as the average motorist does) to decide if I can have fuel or not? Go argue the toss with Gordon Brown, it isn't anything to do with me. I'm entitled to go about my lawful business and you've no right to stop me by restricting my acess to fuel. I couldn't care if it's 50p or £5.00.

Hopefully the Police will get up off their backsides this time, apply the law, crack open the batons and crack a few heads!!

Offline wellieboot

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:28:28 »
Quote from: "Guy90"

You're an idiot then aren't you? The price will never come down, the speculators in the oil markets and the extreme demand and supply conditions will not allow it. If you don't understand this, don't comment.

What right have you, hauliers and assorted yokels (who don't pay anything like the same as the average motorist does) to decide if I can have fuel or not? Go argue the toss with Gordon Brown, it isn't anything to do with me. I'm entitled to go about my lawful business and you've no right to stop me by restricting my acess to fuel. I couldn't care if it's 50p or £5.00.

Hopefully the Police will get up off their backsides this time, apply the law, crack open the batons and crack a few heads!!

Wow, someones got 'issues' here.

Whilst I don't support the protest, I wouldn't stop anyone having a fair say, or asking a fair question. I'm sorry but there's no such thing as dumb question, but that post <simply wasn't nice> (edited in view of Moddies comment).

Boots
I can see tomorrow, I can see the world to come
I can see tomorrow, hear the pandemonium

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 11:32:22 »
Whilst the Club is happy to support open debate, we'd appreciate if it was kept polite, otherwise we lock it down.  [-X

C'mon folks, you know the score by now.  :wink:

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline Guy90

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 11:32:53 »
Quote from: "wellieboot"

Wow, someones got 'issues' here.

Whilst I don't support the protest, I wouldn't stop anyone having a fair say, or asking a fair question. I'm sorry but there's no such thing as dumb question, but that post could be reckoned on being a dumb answer.

Boots

There is such a thing as a dumb question. The 1st post in this thread is one. If you want to have your say then have it by whinging outside the gates of Downing Street. Don't have it in a way that affects me or my life in any way. You have no right to do so.

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 11:41:05 »
thats not a daft question, that a legitamate question, he is intitalled to his opinion as you are but I think the way you have tried to flog him down was a little uncalled for, I mean come on, calling him an idiot and then trying to insult his intelligence by saying 'if you don't understand this comment, don't comment'

Do you wanna go back to bed and get back up on the right side  :?:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline wellieboot

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 11:41:05 »
I have no intention of starting an arguement here (it's not what I came back for), but your opening post could have been put as 'no. I don't agree' and then with reason for the disagreemnt expressed.

I will admit it is an emotive issue, but neighbour, everything tends to a limit. Calling someone an 'idiot' just wasn't nice.

toodles
Boots
I can see tomorrow, I can see the world to come
I can see tomorrow, hear the pandemonium

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 11:50:35 »
Quote from: "wellieboot"
I have no intention of starting an arguement here (it's not what I came back for), but your opening post could have been put as 'no. I don't agree' and then with reason for the disagreemnt expressed.

I will admit it is an emotive issue, but neighbour, everything tends to a limit. Calling someone an 'idiot' just wasn't nice.

Whilst I'm inclined to agree with the above poster, can I ask both Wellieboots and Guy90 to step back from the discussion for the time being (yes, I'm naming names).  =;

Fuel is a potentialy flamable issue (quite literally, too!), but try and keep a hold on the emotions until a way can be found to express them constructively. All views are appreciated, buts as was said in my earlier post, we all know the score regarding respect in posts.

Anyhoo, I've said my peace, back to the topic in hand!  :wink:

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 12:03:22 »

Do you support them...??

Firstly... I object to being called an idiot! :twisted:

Secondly... 78% at this moment agree with me... :lol:

Thirdly... The first time there was a successful protest the intended price hike was put on hold for a few years so it worked.

Now I'll hold the rest of my comments mate as it would not be polite on this forum to say what I am thinking... At least i can do that!
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 12:14:07 »
I'd support it, no worries!

Thing is, not so long ago we had high fuel prices, and the crude oil was $70 a barrel, but the exchange rate at the time made it more like £50 in our money.

Now we are told that the crude oil is reaching $100 a barrel, but in todays exchange rate that is LESS than £50 a barrel.

SO WHY ARE WE PAYING MORE FOR FUEL, by that arguement we should be paying the same as a few years back which was 90p a litre
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Drift

Fuel Protest
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 12:15:24 »
Quote from: "crazymac"

Thing is, not so long ago we had high fuel prices, and the crude oil was $70 a barrel, but the exchange rate at the time made it more like £50 in our money.

Now we are told that the crude oil is reaching $100 a barrel, but in todays exchange rate that is LESS than £50 a barrel.

SO WHY ARE WE PAYING MORE FOR FUEL, by that arguement we should be paying the same as a few years back which was 90p a litre

Good point  :wink:

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 12:52:10 »

Do you support them...??

So in the same post you have called him an idiot, and also asked him to get up off his backside and stuff???

Oh well, you just cant please some!

I voted for it, i also rely on my car to be able to leave the house but i would stay at home for a week or so in order for it to be affordable for me to do so!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Boddle

Attack Member
  • Boddle on Xbox
    • Coventry UK
  • Referrals: 1
Fuel Protest
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 12:57:51 »
I think you will find some of the issue is the way things are taxed with regard to certainly Petrol and Diesel which is percentage not a fixed figure (Like you would pay if you go over your 2500ltrs of veg oil).
 The fuel companies are taxed the moment the fuel lands here if the government chooses to increase that tax they then pass it onto the reseller, Now you pay tax on the reseller price if there being charged 1 penny more by the Fuel company you can add another 4 pence tax to that because Petrol and Diesel have something like 400% tax on them.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 13:08:45 »
My point would be that the last round of fuel protests were the first case of this government being forced to take notice of public opinion, which they certainly don't do very often. My personal feeling is that we are too apathetic politically, the current administration knows this and therefore ignores public opinion as and when it suits them. A few more spectacular strikes/blockades in the French mould would probably do wonders for teaching them that government is supposed to serve the people, not the other way around!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

littlepow

Fuel Protest
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 13:10:48 »
Quote from: "crazymac"

Unfortunately it's not that simple. With the dollar losing value, due to the upheavel in the housing market (uinterest rates went from 1% to 5%).
The requirement for oil in China has increased again. The oil companies are having to recalculate production capabilities and long term survival.
Stock markets are no longer trusting the dollar and are investing in Oil, this inturn is pushing the cost of crude oil up. The political cliamate being caused by various countries having disagreements on how the should be run, is having a effect on supply.
The fact that Sterling is strong against the dollar is having the reverse effect for oil prices in the UK.

Fuel blockades are not a good thing. It punishes those that choose not to live crammed into towns and cities. Sorry but cutting fuel supplies to outlying areas can have server problems for many people. We don't all have the ability to walk / ride bikes to the shops or work.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 13:20:34 »

Do you support them...??

Can tell you work for C&E :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 13:24:55 »
If you want to have your say then have it by whinging outside the gates of Downing Street. Don't have it in a way that affects me or my life in any way. You have no right to do so.

I'm not going to get drawn into the debate,  however just for the sake of clarity, I should point out it is now illegal to protest within a certain distance (is it a mile?) of both Downing street and the houses of parliament without express written consent from the police force.  

This applies to single person protests as much as it does to hundreds of folk.

I think the key issue is not whether a person, or even group of persons should agree with a potential protest at all, but the intended target of the protests themselves.   I can appreciate Guy's perspective that it will inconvenience just about everyone except the intended target (somehow I don't think that many MPs will suffer) and it is a dangerous action, and a bit of an assumption to make, it's certainly restricting the freedoms and privilege of the people who's interests it's supposed to serve.

However, I can also appreciate the other perspective since having recently run piglet for a while I'm practically skint.

However, there is, as always a need for a clear goal of any protests, and then to have the protest directly serve those goals.  

BP have announced a 45% decrease in profits this year, so indications are that they are attempting to shoulder as much of the price fluctuations as they can, or at least that their shareholders will allow.  

The forecourt garages are all being driven out of business by Tescos and the like as they cannot afford to run petrol / diesel as a loss leader, so whether the intended action is to make petrol only available from mainstream garages and supermarket brands or not, it is a likely consequence.

The government aren't known for reducing taxes on fuel, or indeed anything else so caution would be welcome in expecting too much,  I assure you that if the tax were reduced tax on something else would go up to compensate.

Perhaps the best we can hope for is to not have an increase at the next budget, but that is itself risky as the money is likely to be drawn from somewhere else.

Funny world we live in isn't it?
--

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 14:58:02 »
Just FYI

I was on the front lines for the last one, literally, I think every single shot outside fawley had either my Metro van or the LT28's in it. As a person I supported it and as a Business.

There were a lot of misconceptions about the whole thing brough about by the media and the government.

The biggest being that People died and medical emergencies were affected
Utter tosh!. Any tanker that was being sent out to refuel EMS bases and stations closed for just EMS use were allowed through.
In fact we didnt actively stop one tanker.

There is more risk to it now but as a country we are really good at being sheep and this does seem to be the one issue that we were actually listened to. On the flipside with so much dissent about so many things right now it would be highly dangerous for the govt to allow it to work. After all, there are other issues much more pressing now then fuel price was 7 years ago.

Guy90 you are priviledged to your own opinions, as are we. Remeber Boggert is also a member of the plod too, so you might want to think about what you said. Granted its not much of one, but we do live in a democracy (of sorts), remeber that please.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline hrh_dave

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Lybster, Caithness
  • Referrals: 1
Fuel Protest
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 15:05:01 »
Just a point about local garages being drummed out of business by the likes of Tescos and others.. Our local Esso in North Berwick is currently cheaper than the tescos at the other end of the town less than a mile away.....

Is it the same groups as before that are looking to protest??
"Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away."
www.terranomade.co.uk

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 17:23:02 »
Not just the FUEL Id support a total shut down of this hole ,of a country ,until we get somebody decent in charge to sort the hole bloody mess out which is ENGLAND.     :wink:

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 18:03:19 »
Quote from: "Jas278"
Not just the FUEL Id support a total shut down of this hole ,of a country ,until we get somebody decent in charge to sort the hole bloody mess out which is ENGLAND.     :wink:

Minor point, but one that must be made....................

it is not just ENGLAND. We as a nation are BRITAIN and as such we are all governed by a central government. That means SCOTLAND, ENGLAND, IRELAND and WALES.

I agree with what you are saying, but please remember that SCOTLAND, WALES and IRELAND are not part of ENGLAND we are part of BRITAIN!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline mobi

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 18:14:51 »
it will never happen!
farmers who helped out on the last protest won't do it again as they will lose out on subsidy's.
and it will be the same for the lorry drivers, the last one was ownerdrivers and there's not as many left now. as well they will lose their operaters licences.

the best way is for ALL the haulage companies to put their prices up for transport then the price of food/goods will go up and in turn something will go down, the down side to this is the big boys in transport won't do it (likes of dhl,wincanton,tnt,k&n) as they will just under cut a smaller company's.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal