AuthorTopic: Fuel Protest  (Read 7623 times)

Offline Jas278

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel Protest
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 18:18:29 »
Quote from: "crazymac"
Quote from: "Jas278"
Not just the FUEL Id support a total shut down of this hole ,of a country ,until we get somebody decent in charge to sort the hole bloody mess out which is ENGLAND.     :wink:

I agree with what you are saying, but please remember that SCOTLAND, WALES and IRELAND are not part of ENGLAND we are part of BRITAIN!

I agree , but you guys have youre own bigwigs now , I did nt think the majority of Welsh Scots Or Irish wanted tobe with us anymore ?

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 18:19:30 »
Well just to stick my thoughts in. I was with the last one yes i am a truck driver and yes we can get cheaper fuel when we bulk buy but its only about 10 per ltr cheaper but we use about 400 ltrs a DAY. So how can we compeete with forign trucks who are paying under half that price for fuel and come over  here with full tanks (about 1500ltrs) so can and do undercut us for work in the uk. So yea bring it on its about time gorden brown had a wake up call That this united kingdom is getting fed up of been treated like morrons. As for the army running the fuel depots good in thiory but that are not trained in station delivery So it would be fun to watch them do that.
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Fuel Protest
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 18:24:36 »
Take look at this document :

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/Petrol_Prices_1896_todate_gallons.pdf

Then take a look at this :

http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/includes/16-04-05GeneralElectionsandhouseprices.doc

Is fuel actually as expensive as we make out? 10 years ago we earned less. 2 years ago most of us, in jobs, earned less. Remember when £5 was a lot of money? The £20 note has replaced the fiver.....

I think it is a psychological thing ... just like we happily pay over £3 for a pint of 1664 now ... even tho down the road it might be £2.55.

Maybe I'm rambling, but I think if you compare prices of other things and then see where the petrol prices are going .... it's not THAT far from where you'd expect it to be. That or make it 5p again, and re-align all our wages... so we all earn £2 a week!!!
--
Neil

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Fuel Protest
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 18:26:01 »
but you guys have youre own bigwigs now

Wales don't. They have an assembly but it has no power (unless something has changed...)
--
Neil

Offline Wireless

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 18:30:09 »
I agree , but you guys have youre own bigwigs now , I did nt think the majority of Welsh Scots Or Irish wanted tobe with us anymore ?

I don't think the Welsh sheep farmers are happy with it, apparently it's estimated that they need £140m to ensure that there aren't masses of sheep farmers going to the wall over the recent F&M, and Blue Tongue restrictions.

The Welsh Assembly has decided that £7m will be sufficient, hence, the sheep farming community in Wales is upset.

I understand the money from Westminter for English sheep farmers is more realistic.

Swings and Roundabouts, BTW, the dogs names are Henry, George, and Harry, not Fluffy!

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 18:50:54 »
Quote from: "Wireless"

The Welsh Assembly has decided that £7m will be sufficient, hence, the sheep farming community in Wales is upset.

I understand the money from Westminter for English sheep farmers is more realistic.
!

Thats what happens when you water down the majority...

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Offline denviks

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2007, 19:21:36 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
T. Remember when £5 was a lot of money? The £20 note has replaced the fiver.....

i still see £20 note as alot of money.......hell i still see £5 as a lot of money  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

yes i have a good income but at the end of the day i look over the channel and think......why am i paying so much for the same thing...

then as gtomo2 says.....is it any wonder why so much work is going abroad...they can do the work alot cheaper....hualing our good up and down the country

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

Offline barnhill4x4

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 19:31:11 »
I wouldn't moan about the cost of fuel if I was paying something on par with the rest of the world but I am not.
 The motorist is shafted in this country, not just fuel but everything related to the car, it will be like it was in the 1920's before long, only the rich will be able to afford to own a car and drive it

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Fuel Protest
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 19:33:55 »
Cost of living is different. You can't just compare fuel costs and say "it's cheaper there". Wages, cost of living, house prices, taxes etc all play a part. We can wade in and take advantage of their "cheap" fuel, but to the people on the continent their fuel is also *expensive*.

It's a really difficult thing to normalise at the moment.

We had a guy over from SA - everything here was very expensive to him. When I go to SA everything seems cheap. However - we can both afford to live in our *own* countries.

See what I am getting at?

If you want fuel the same price all over the continent, then we'll REALLY have to join the EU, and take wage cuts .... scary thought!

Oh by the way ... I'm just adding all this stuff for discussion!
--
Neil

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Fuel Protest
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2007, 19:41:59 »
hen as gtomo2 says.....is it any wonder why so much work is going abroad...they can do the work alot cheaper....hualing our good up and down the country

Easy solution : We all have to work for less .....
--
Neil

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2007, 20:43:07 »
if there is a fuel blockade the we will see how many alternitive fuel cars are around
the way i see it there will be a lot of 4x4s still moving on lpg and dio-diesel/veggie oil and loads of people complaining about it instead of standing up and getting counted
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline way2deep

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2007, 21:18:14 »
Quote from: Thrasher

Is fuel actually as expensive as we make out? 10 years ago we earned less. 2 years ago most of us, in jobs, earned less. Remember when £5 was a lot of money? The £20 note has replaced the fiver.....

yeah .but less than 10 (a mere 7 in fact) years ago my 3 bed semi was 51k .....i am certain wages have not gone up in line with house prices ...which is the main outgoings of peoples wages without being taxed to death on fuel and road tax.....it's all a massive red tape back door hike to get everyone to stay at home and not use our rapidly failing road system.....for those in the haulage industry will know profit margins have been literally cut to the bone..

i am all for any protest that gives this dictatorship a kick up the rear  :D
robbie
200 tdi rangie  1989  4dr

Offline sardonicus

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2007, 22:31:46 »
As the once mighty u.s.dollar is not so influential in the world as it once was,(black market trade in the far east and russia/eastern europe seems to be done in euros nowadays)maybe oil producing countries should start trading oil for euros instead...perhaps then the u.s.would have to take a step back..
'97  4.0l Jeep Grand Cherokee on L.P.G.   back to family transport :(  
'82 RRC Ambulance camper project .   Sold :(
'95 300tdi disco auto. :)

Question  Everything

att

Fuel Protest
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2007, 20:09:26 »
Your foodstuffs will become more expensive than fuel very soon as the compettition hots up for arable space..... :lol:  :lol:
Oh how I larfed.........You will starve before you reach your destination in an economic manner very soon, you read it here first...

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2007, 20:35:25 »
I demand the repeal of the corn laws!

Oh wait, am I in the right century ?
--

Offline Hobnailkelly

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2007, 00:13:12 »
Getting back to the original question - Yes but for the following reasons:

Every time the price of oil increases the government make more money out of us through taxes.  For this they do not improve the road network.
Furthermore, the increased tax take is added to by charging VAT on the tax we are already paying.

My RRC will run happily on bio-diesel while the weather is above freezing but the van I drive for work will not.  Result - a bit more holiday for me if the pumps run dry :lol:

Offline CaptainColourful

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2007, 00:28:44 »
I'd support it, no worries!

Thing is, not so long ago we had high fuel prices, and the crude oil was $70 a barrel, but the exchange rate at the time made it more like £50 in our money.

Now we are told that the crude oil is reaching $100 a barrel, but in todays exchange rate that is LESS than £50 a barrel.

SO WHY ARE WE PAYING MORE FOR FUEL, by that arguement we should be paying the same as a few years back which was 90p a litre

In a word .... TAX
OK another phrase springs to mind too... Rip off Britain !

Last week the yanks were moaning about paying $3 a gallon .... if they were paying our price it would be nearer to $8 per gallon ... even allowing for their gallon being slightly less than ours.

As per usual, the working man (and woman) is being taxed to death to pay for the Govt's inadequacies.

I would support blockading BP stations, they are always dearer than anyone else.
TD5 ... Disco Classic Country (Oz import)

What credit crunch ? I started with nothing and still have most of it left !

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2007, 03:20:37 »
Quote from: "CaptainColourful"
I'd support it, no worries!

Thing is, not so long ago we had high fuel prices, and the crude oil was $70 a barrel, but the exchange rate at the time made it more like £50 in our money.

Now we are told that the crude oil is reaching $100 a barrel, but in todays exchange rate that is LESS than £50 a barrel.

SO WHY ARE WE PAYING MORE FOR FUEL, by that arguement we should be paying the same as a few years back which was 90p a litre

In a word .... TAX
OK another phrase springs to mind too... Rip off Britain !

Last week the yanks were moaning about paying $3 a gallon .... if they were paying our price it would be nearer to $8 per gallon ... even allowing for their gallon being slightly less than ours.

As per usual, the working man (and woman) is being taxed to death to pay for the Govt's inadequacies.

I would support blockading BP stations, they are always dearer than anyone else.

I thought it was the other way round, i thought their gallon was 5 litres and ours was 4 1/2?

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Sider

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2007, 06:03:41 »
Nope, US gallon is 3.785 Litres. Imperial gallon is 4.546.
Nico

Nobody expects.....The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Fuel Protest
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2007, 10:24:25 »
Hmmm .. seems no-one has actually studied the document I posted :(

Tax on fuel is actually lessening .... take a look!
--
Neil

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2007, 10:35:17 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
Hmmm .. seems no-one has actually studied the document I posted :(

Tax on fuel is actually lessening .... take a look!

Its not so much missing the point as an easy target.

Most of the adult population are drivers and this is probobly the biggest and most easilly targetted form of tax for them(us) to protest against, hold figures up for etc.

Most people arent going to care about reading something like that, they see the prices going up and get hacked off, and as already pointed out, we are still getting caned in relation to the rest of the planet. You also have to make allowance for readers of certain papers for whom words over four letters long are a strain.

A mate was complaining about it going over 49p/litre where he lived last night!!
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

littlepow

Fuel Protest
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2007, 10:35:52 »
Quote from: "blackbob"
if there is a fuel blockade the we will see how many alternitive fuel cars are around
the way i see it there will be a lot of 4x4s still moving on lpg and dio-diesel/veggie oil and loads of people complaining about it instead of standing up and getting counted

Where you going to get the LPG from, as a blockage would stop that being delieverd too!

Veg oil will run out, through lack of fuel for supermarket deliveries and unless you hold a stock of Bio-diesel, getting the stuff may prove problematic.

It's not just vehicles that will be effected. But the whole of the countries infrastructure, including food, water and heating!

Maybe it time to put the pressure on the vehicle manufacturers to do more towards economy, rather than top speed and acceleration.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Fuel Protest
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2007, 10:41:57 »
Littlepow - WELL SAID.

I'm not the only one that can see it  :shock:
--
Neil

Offline Sider

Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2007, 16:48:59 »
Actually, massa Neil, one could argue that your figures only cover up to 2005, and one could argue furthermore that said figures do not include VAT.

The fact that the taxation level was in 2005 a couple of percent points lower than in 2004 still does not excuse the fact that the taxation levels (and not only in fuel duty) in the UK are still among the highest in Europe.

The price of Diesel is roughly the same everywhere, yet Mr Brown is making us pay through the nose, not only with direct duty, but also benefiting 1p on every 5 the prices go up, thanks to the VAT.
Nico

Nobody expects.....The Spanish Inquisition!!!

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Fuel Protest
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2007, 17:19:28 »
I think the key problem is that there is only a limited amount of solutions to the "problem"

as has been observed elsewhere the country takes increasing amounts of money to run,  whether this is due to increased civil service spending, wage hikes or people sitting on huge piles of cash whilst screaming "I'm lord of the banana people" isn't all that relevant, the government is required to do something.

Reducing expenditure is rarely considered a governmental talent, irrespective of the government in question, so about the only solution is to raise additional funds to cover the need.   If you think that it's unfair to do so via fuel costs then that is your right,  however I assure you that if they didn't do it via this mechanism they'd use another.

Different countries have different ways of ripping off their population, sorry, I mean taxing them.   Usually countries which are regarded as being "better" have a greater divide between the rich and the poor, take the US for example, 80% of the money is in the hands of 1% of the population or something equally outrageous, in Britain at least we're all pretty even on the pauper front.  Whether this is fair or not is an entirely different conversation.
--

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal