AuthorTopic: need more noise i think  (Read 4230 times)

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

need more noise i think
« on: September 27, 2007, 14:06:30 »
with a cherrybomb middle box and quad 4 inch rear boxs is there anything else that give a deeper sound already got leads and kn filter .system is made from 2 and half in pipe work

Offline GREENI

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
need more noise i think
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 14:17:24 »
Ditch all your boxes and have a large bore side exit exhaust...MINT !!

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

steve is for u
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 16:47:29 »
[]this is how i made it . saw piglets exhuast while back but at 750 quid from je maybe not so made one instead

you need the cherry bomb from demontweeks.co.uk which is 70 quid for s/s steel

rear box is a 3 in twin from cobraexhuast

cut at the end and a 4 inch exhuast tip cause there is only enough room back the back body mount for that twin exhuast it the same on the other side.

exhuast tip are exhuast trim cut and welded in instead of 50 quid tips from jetex there only 12 quid from motorworld.

rear boxes are 60 quid each

pipe work is straight from cherry bomb bend at 45 degs at the middle of the a frame joint where the spilt is then pipe follows the contour of the chassais to the back box. . you  need reducers on the cherry bomb and back box. there is not a enough room for the same diameter pipework . every join is weld up the mounts a standard place where middle box is normally but u need brackets made for the back box .they are mount to the rear body mount.

with the pipe work u could fit different back boxes . seen quad dtm, twin 5 inch but it hangs a bit low or have it out though the side. thats the other photo of a mates one

not a 5 minute job by anymeans . i got the system in pieces at the moment a mate need the back box but have finished it yet but got all the parts to do so.

ckeck photo gallary for the twin 3 system on the one side for a idea what it looks like. i ll leave exhuast bits in the gallary of my disco.

u could fit butterfly valves for a custom effect to but u do get slight back pressure[/b]

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

thanks greeni
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 16:52:16 »
had that system before but at 21mpg it had to go it now returns 28 - 36 mpg think it beacause mines a low compression v8. was thinkin of an amp in the back for an active exhuast note vrooooooooooom. was thinkin of a sports manifold and twin cherrybombs with no spilter

Offline marsie

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 21:15:11 »
Once made a system for a v8 i once had with  tubular manifolds,2 cherry bombs down each side of the car.Sounded bloody awful,welded in a link pipe between the 2 sides and it sounded fab.Without the link pipe it just sounded like a loud 4 cylinder #-o
Just done my mates 50th anniversary defender.Took out the center silencer and fitted a TD5 straight though center pipe(£60 from billing in stainless :shock: )Fitted without much modding and was the best £60 ever spent,now sounds like a tvr but is still quiet inside :twisted:
Paul :twisted:

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
need more noise i think
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 21:55:04 »
My old V8 Disco had both the silencers removed and a powerflow midbox fitted and a side exit.
Sounded awesome!!
Nice and loud  :twisted:
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

need more noise i think
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 23:26:16 »
would an extra cherrybomb between the a frame joint give more grunt.

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 00:48:26 »
Steveo, pretty, pretty please, can you make your signature just a teeny weeny bit shorter old chap?  I'm about to wear out my wheelie mouse!!

Go on, you know you want to... :D
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
need more noise i think
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 00:54:07 »
Or stick it into your profile
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

need more noise i think
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:11:56 »
make ur hand ache dont it . i ll need my fingers for pushin the right buttons later

wonderin where that was.

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 09:54:22 »
Nice one fella, that's loads better!! =D>
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 09:59:42 »
what do you think an exhaust can achieve? If you add an extra cherry bomb it will not improve performance, it will actually restict flow mare than your current set up.

As fo rthe vast increase in fuel economy im a little sceptical. I have a free flow system and have seen a little performance boost but no difference at the pump.

there is no engine theory i can think of that could account for your increase in mpg.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
need more noise i think
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 10:13:19 »
36mpg from a V8 on big tyres?

I'm also a tad sceptical. Considering I reckon Piglet is doing about 12mpg overall.
--
Neil

Offline DarrenG

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 10:24:45 »
Christ yes, if you can get 36mpg all us V8 owners want to know the secret!  best I've ever had is 16, more like 12-14 day to day :cry:
Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com
The World's largest GPS Website.  News, reviews, user forums and creators of the No1 Safety Camera Database.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 10:28:48 »
I cant even get that from a chip oil/dino fired 200tdi!
In fact I'm fairly sure Bunnies 2.0l Pug cant even do that and that weighs in about the same as a meringue.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

need more noise i think
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 13:35:52 »
36 mpg right did it coming home from devon  on the m5. havent used it to much lately going on motorways

at 75mph a 3.5v8i should do 21mpg on the motorway according to haynes book. think its 23.4 mpg at 56mph but never got as good as quicker speeds ive found

so u need to average 18mpg on lpg.

change gears at 2750rpm for a start

be relaxed with right foot and cost when downhill.

fit kn filter and lum.... leads . ngk spark plugs and that about it. oh all engine breathing bits secure and clean to breathe.

with bigger boots on u shoulld get 34ish.

make sure the exhuast does leak anywhere .

think also cars with lots of car polish on make less friction with the wind cause u get slight less drag.

and thats about it

Offline DarrenG

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 13:45:47 »
Ah you never mentioned LPG!  Even then I still think 18mpg on LPG is over optimistic when it's all but impossible to get that on Petrol even when driving carefully.
Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com
The World's largest GPS Website.  News, reviews, user forums and creators of the No1 Safety Camera Database.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
need more noise i think
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 13:52:57 »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

IT IS NOT 36MPG then is it????

It's 18.

And 18 on gas ... I think not. I mean ... gas is WORSE than petrol 99.9% of the time.

You have a roofrack, big tyres etc etc - none of this will *aid* your mpg.

My aero-dynamic (more so than the D1) RR 4.2SC does 17mpg *average* - so I cannot believe a loaded/racked and bigger tyred D1 can beat that?!

I'd say you would be *lucky* to be hitting 13 .....

and that remains THIRTEEN MILES PER GALLON, it doesn't magically double because it is LPG. Otherwise Diesel owners would have to multiply DOWN their mpg readings to compare them with petrol!?!?!?!?!
--
Neil

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 14:02:24 »
Quote from: "steveo4v8i"
36 mpg right did it coming home from devon this ur on the m5.

at 75mph a 3.5v8i should do 21mpg on the motorway according to haynes book. think its 23.4 mpg at 56mph but never got as good as quicker speeds ive found

fit kn filter and lum.... leads . ngk spark plugs and that about it.

and thats about it

Could you PLEASE do something with your sig?

Thats unlikeley I'm afraid. Check your calculations. If it IS right then you need to be speaking to your bank manager about starting a business.

I run an Audi 90Q 2.5 10VT, I run two maps, one for performance, one for day to day use. The standard map yeilds about 170BHP. The car itself weighs in just over a ton. This is a fully electronically managed, turbocharged, modern engine and on the map in question its running better at stock and just about manages 30mpg.

Now look at the lump sat in your engine bay?

You shouldnt coast (out of gear/no clutch) ANYWHERE. Engine breaking is an important part of stopping a heavy car especially in an emergency.

fit kn filter and lum.... leads . ngk spark plugs and that about it.

You will make a difference with these but not THAT much. K&N Filters may actually worsen things as will a free flow exhaust. Think of your engine as a tuned instrument. When the engine takes a lungful of air theres a LOT going on. The plenum chamber and intake headers are (normally) designed to allow as large a mass of air as possible to move, this means after the intake stroke has ended, there's still air piling into the cylinder. Changes in intake characteristics can hamper this. I dont know enough about this engine to say what it will do but on a lot of performance engines you will find that you will loose power. In the exhaust a 'standing' wave is setup which 'pulls' waste gasses out. How well this works depends on lots of factors including expantion boxes, pipe bore and length. A free-flow exhaust or poorly thought out sports exhaust may sound good but again, youre going to hoof the gas flow, emissions and power delivery. Going back to mine. I could have gone for a nice loud 3" system all the way through, instead opting for a system designed for me to match the engine. The result is an exhaust that can be loud but only in the same way as many true performance cars are loud, not the annoying noice of a cherry bomb or chav with a bit of iron drainpipe. Again, the gains here will depend on the car and I'm guessing the stock rover exhaust is pretty poor.

Leads and plugs, yes, but these should be 100% anyway.

You're breaking some cardinal rules here. Most cars have a cruise speed centered at about 60Mph. This seems to hold trud for the 200TDi and I'd expect the V8s too. (theres is a reason haynes manuals are referred to as 'haynes book of lies' btw). Once you start to go about 60 in almost any well designed aerodynamic veihcle the fuel consumption goes up, drastically. Again, the Audi B4 is one of the most aerodynamic cars there has been in terms of saloons. At 61 I get best MPG at around 28ish. 70 its down to 20, 90 and we are into 18 territory and at its top speed, 8. Now this is an aerodynamic car, your disco has all the areodynamic considerations of a house brick. Because of this you'll probobly find your optimum crusie speed is lower and fuel consumption will get scary. As you get into higher speeds the engine has to work significantly harder to overcome drag, on something like a disco this is a big factor. So say 60mph gives you 30mpg, then its logical to expect that 120 would give you 15mpg, well not so. There is a formula but youd be closer to looking at 20MPG at 80 in a car. This is why supercars have to be insanely powerful just to go 20mph faster than the last one. With the power use goes fuel demand.

You *could* run the car insanely lean, heavilly managed with gear ratios that would mean pulling off on a flat junction in low box and you MIGHT just get these figures, although the thing would be undrivable and the lean mix would melt the engine.

Also I REALLY hope you arent relying on the fuel guage for calculations :) Or the Odometer come to that.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
need more noise i think
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 14:05:26 »
Oh and you must remember that oversized tyres make the ODO read wrong .... so you will be 8-10% out ANYWAY  :shock:
--
Neil

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
need more noise i think
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 14:29:52 »
:lol:  :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

need more noise i think
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 14:39:36 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
Oh and you must remember that oversized tyres make the ODO read wrong .... so you will be 8-10% out ANYWAY  :shock:

yeah i know great for keeping them low millage aint.

working out only do it on to journey to compare to done on both road and mud tyre in the same sort of condition of traffic
ie

235/70/16 road tyres do 180 on a 10 gallon tank on long runs

265/75/16 macho does 165 0n a 10 gallon on long runs

at worst ive got

110 miles to a tank from 265/75/16

125 miles to a tank from 235/75/16

oh tyre pressure makes a difference to.

on 235/75/16 ive got 29psi in the front and 34 psi in the rear

on 265/75/16 ive got 31 psi in the front and 37 psi in the rear

for road running.. found this to be the best set for best mpg

what i do to get a a figure is

work how many miles u get per littre  then u know how much u would use with different prices of lpg.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
need more noise i think
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 14:49:55 »
Have you replaced your tank then?

Standard tank is 19.3572858 gallons.
--
Neil

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 14:52:03 »

yeah i know great for keeping them low millage aint.

working out only do it on to journey to compare to done on both road and mud tyre in the same sort of condition of traffic
ie

235/70/16 road tyres do 180 on a 10 gallon tank on long runs

265/75/16 macho does 165 0n a 10 gallon on long runs

at worst ive got

110 miles to a tank from 265/75/16

125 miles to a tank from 235/75/16

oh tyre pressure makes a difference to.

on 235/75/16 ive got 29psi in the front and 34 psi in the rear

on 265/75/16 ive got 31 psi in the front and 37 psi in the rear

for road running.. found this to be the best set for best mpg

what i do to get a a figure is

work how many miles u get per littre  then u know how much u would use with different prices of lpg.

Man oh man is your maths messed up.
I think it might be best of you go away quietly with a calculator and work it all out again for yourself.

I make 110 miles on a 10 gallon tank 11mpg for one, even using the ficticious X2 to get Petrol figures, thats 22mpg

You are trying to convince a lot of people who know a hell of a lot more about landies than you or even me to accept a lot of bogus figures even I can see are made up.

Do your reserach, get the right figures and then work it out. You cannot just substitue one fuel for another as there are different calorific values and distribution methods in use.

You arent helping your credibility any, so great, 18MPG on gas. Now actually fill up with petrol and measure it. Use defined points of a known distance and not your ODO and use the figures from the petrol pump. Odds on you'll get 18 again, or worse.

Its probobly time this thread came to an end before the mud slinging really starts.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

need more noise i think
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 15:03:48 »
I make 110 miles on a 10 gallon tank 11mpg for one, even using the ficticious X2 to get Petrol figures, thats 22mpg evilgoat

that worst ever done by rev it to 4500 rmp ever time just have to listen to it know and again..........

see evilgoat think u miss read the facts abit.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 15:08:24 »
I make 110 miles on a 10 gallon tank 11mpg for one, even using the ficticious X2 to get Petrol figures, thats 22mpg evilgoat

that worst ever done by rev it to 4500 rmp ever time just have to listen to it know and again..........

see evilgoat think u miss read the facts abit.

I think you've had enough hints, please sort your sig!

And can you explain this to me in english? Revs are not the only indication of fuel consumption. A struggling and laboured engine at 2000rpm will use more fuel than a free revving engine at 4000rpm. yet produce half the power

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
need more noise i think
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 15:14:44 »
Oh is it bad to rev a V8 to 5500rpm (rover) or 7000rpm (AJV8) while in gear (i.e. driving) - if so I'm in serious trouble!  :shock:
--
Neil

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
need more noise i think
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 15:18:21 »
Oh is it bad to rev a V8 to 5500rpm (rover) or 7000rpm (AJV8) while in gear (i.e. driving) - if so I'm in serious trouble!  :shock:

Stop the 4 wheel burnouts its expensive...

...on tyres.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
need more noise i think
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 15:37:14 »
Oooh I dunno, 30,000 miles and still on original tyres :)
--
Neil

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
need more noise i think
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007, 19:05:40 »
36 mpg right did it coming home from devon  on the m5. havent used it to much lately going on motorways

fit kn filter and lum.... leads . ngk spark plugs and that about it. oh all engine breathing bits secure and clean to breathe.

think also cars with lots of car polish on make less friction with the wind cause u get slight less drag.

and thats about it

Are you having a laugh??
A V8 will do that IN THEORY
Haynes have used the manufacturers figures that are usually unladen, everything turned off, probably on a banked circuit etc.
I have a Rover 2.0 diesel that should give me 78 mpg  :shock:
I did the M5 to Devon @80 mph and got 46.5 and was happy
My V8 in my avatar does 12-14 mpg on lpg

Milage/ litres X 4.55 = MPG

175/ 60 x 4.55 = 13.27 MPG

Now if i were to compare it to petrol
Petrol price / LPG price

96.9 / 39.9 = 2.43

LPG miles x 2.43 = Pretend MPG comparison

13.27 x 2.43 = 32.2
Not bad for an AUTO, standard leads,  on muds with roof rack and out laning last weekend oh and NO POLISH

Cant believe I just wrote this crap  :shock:

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal