AuthorTopic: Southdown Fuel Tank Guard  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Horness

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Southdown Fuel Tank Guard
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:25:34 »
For a 1998 300 Series Disco.

Looking for best/recommended place to get one from, preferably with a drop plate so that I can fit the tow hitch.

Cheers
Horness

defenderdan

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 12:56:19 »
I don't want to state the obvious but surely southdown would be the best place  :wink:

Offline Horness

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 13:21:24 »
#-o  http://www.southdown4x4.co.uk/

Tried google searching for them just before I posted this.  Changed results to UK only, and presto.  :oops:

Presume it's the Zinc Plated : £249-00 + VAT = £292.58 jobbie I'm after if I want it with a drop plate?

Cheers
Horness.

Offline bobtail4x4

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 13:37:51 »
If you have a lift and or bigger tyres make sure you dont buy a disco tow point, I complained at Billing and was told I needed a deafener one, so why sell a tankguard expecting the car NOT to have a lift or bigger tyres?
hello mum

gords

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 17:20:18 »
Quote from: "bobtail4x4"
If you have a lift and or bigger tyres make sure you dont buy a disco tow point, I complained at Billing and was told I needed a deafener one, so why sell a tankguard expecting the car NOT to have a lift or bigger tyres?

Does the Defender one drop down lower then? You could always add a drop plate to the Discovery one?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 18:17:21 »
Try Firstfour.co.uk or something klike that, I found them cheaper.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Guardian.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 21:32:17 »
IM TRYING TO GET THESE SORTED NOW, IS THERE A GOOD MARKET FOR TANK GUARD WITH DETACHABLE HITCH PLATE? HOPING TO BE SELLING FOR A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DONE AND DUSTED! AT THE MOST. WHATS THE GENERAL CONCENSUS.

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 22:08:11 »
Sounds like a good price.
As long as their nice and strong.
I tow my caravan on my Southdown and it has no problems with strenght.
Good luck
 :D
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 22:08:53 »
Quote from: "guardian off road product"
IM TRYING TO GET THESE SORTED NOW, IS THERE A GOOD MARKET FOR TANK GUARD WITH DETACHABLE HITCH PLATE? HOPING TO BE SELLING FOR A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DONE AND DUSTED! AT THE MOST. WHATS THE GENERAL CONCENSUS.

The Southdown guard is fully tested and type approved, so it can be fitted on later vehicles legitimately. Probably explains part of the price!

cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline barny

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 22:15:05 »
Quote from: "guardian off road product"

Sounds cool to me, my rear plough took 6 mins to jet was out the other day. I had to get a bloody lever bar in there to shift it !

Guardian.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 22:16:41 »
few of our customers have southdown guards, they look a good bit of kit, the only thing i would do different is a few nice holes to allow any water and muck out so your tank dont rot even quicker. as for strength, i would use same 5mm plate for the actual guard, and also 5mm for the sides etc as opposed to 4mm, as for what difference in cost that bit makes would rather go for 5mm all round.

Offline barny

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 22:28:56 »
Like your thinking, can you keep me posted please as my tow bar is stopping me putting my jate rings on due to being corroded on. Fitting one of the will essentially cure all problems !

Offline Moneypit

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 22:31:14 »
Will keep watching this thread as I've got a plow fitted to the back of Moneypit and will need to change it at some point.
Sometimes you need to get away from the crowd, the only way to do that, is to get a little mud on the tyres.

Offline Cal

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 22:46:42 »
I'd be interested in one as well...

Offline bobtail4x4

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 23:51:43 »
Quote from: "gords"
Quote from: "bobtail4x4"

Does the Defender one drop down lower then? You could always add a drop plate to the Discovery one?

the deafener one has an extra couple of holes yes.
hello mum

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 01:50:13 »
Well I paid £300 ish for mine from First Four, delivered.  It weighs a fair bit too.
I hadn't realised it was type approved, good on them.  I know the testing isn't cheap so that won't help with the cost I suppose.

As for making it even thicker, well the weight (30 odd kilos) is a problem, If I could have one just as good but thinner then I would.  I did a bit of laning the other night and forgot to take off my tow hitch, so it's done a bit of ploughing and I doubt the drop plate of the SR tow hitch would have survived (that was my alternative choice).

Another thing to bear in mind is that although they are all sold as Disco/RRC the tow hitch needs to be different on the RRC or it looks a bit cr4p, I had mine made about 2" shorter which helps with the rear axle load a tad too.

With the Southdown on mine it's not far off the MAM for the vehicle now though, so I have to be careful.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Horness

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 08:49:38 »
Thanks guys.  It's looks like the FirstFour site is under major construction, so I've dropped them an email.  Southdown are doing free P&P this month, so may use them.

Guardian - How long are we talking before you can take orders?
I like the sound of the holes to let the mud out, but at which point to you say the hole is big enough to stop mud gathering, but small enough to stop penetration should a rock hit that area?  Also, will it make the guard weaker if it has holes in it?

Cheers
Horness

Guardian.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 09:38:53 »
time is a problem at present as working flat out on the other stuff! but it is my next project, probably going to be a couple of months yet untill they are draw protod and in stock.
weight is an issue with these, as you say they are mentally heavy, and to be honest you could use 4mm sides and 4mm main plate, this would give more than enough protection virtually the same as 4 and 5, but you try telling some people that, they dont understand that it doesnt have to be an inch thick, as they have several folds in the panel, this makes sheet very strong, but once someone manufactures something ie southdown, if you made them off a lesser thickness material people will knock it and convince themselves its not as strong.
as for the holes, i will be having probably 40mm holes, 4 or 5 in a row across the width of the guard and each side of each bend, this was it doesnot compromise any strength at all.
this will allow muck in, but they get muc in them without holes, the holes are to allow you to hose it out and stop water sitting in it as you are bolting a tin sink around your fuel tank, hosing it will allow the crap to all fall out.
thats my theory anyway!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 17:16:01 »
You could safely put holes in the front end of the guard without compramising strength as the mounting holes are 2/3 the way back anyway.  I thought about cutting holes in mine to lighten it.

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 07:21:21 »
also watching this thread id also love to get rid of my plow from the rear of car
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline Disco_Dunk

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 08:48:29 »
Also interested - like the weight-saving ideas & 4mm is fine with me!!!

Is alloy feasable like some of the steering guards? I realise it'd have to be thicker, but it'd be lighter wouldn't it? Guess that would put the cost WAY up too, though.

Dunk :cry:

Guardian.

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 10:00:36 »
hi
ally will make it dearer, and i cannot see the point in spending a couple of hundred quid on something that could smash!
you drop the weight of a landy down on a stump or a rock etc, i dont care who made it, if its ally i would think it will pop, as where the steel one isnt gonna move.

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 16:15:08 »
def keep us posted on this ;) lol if ya ever want to feild test one lol ill do it
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 17:16:43 »
Quote from: "landroverkeith"
def keep us posted on this ;) lol if ya ever want to feild test one lol ill do it

[!Expletive Deleted!]... I was about to say that!!!

Put me on the list as well Mr Guardian..!

Guardian.

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006, 10:05:42 »
oo

Offline Sheddy

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 12:05:43 »
eeerrrrr .... am I missing something here?  The fuel tank on my Disco is plastic so where does the rot problem come into it?

------------------------------------------
I've got a couple of Guardian products.  The ally sump guard is splendid, does exacly what it should do and fitted with no problems.  It takes ther knocks without any problems.

I also have a set of tree/rock sliders.  They attach on to the chassis outriggers. The first time they saw contact they folded into the sills and door bottoms.  The sliders have since been modified (a lot of metal added) so that they bolt through the sills.  That doesn't help with the problem that the jacking points are physically too small to take a hi-lift adaptor though.
-------------------------------------------

I've got a Southdown tank guard and it is a proper bit of kit.  Takes the knocks without a problem, as does the Southdown front axle protector.  Since fitting the tank guard I've also fitted a Scorpion datachable towbar.  This seems to take more of the knocks now because it sits lower but nowhere near as low os the original equipment jobby, it only protrudes under the rear bumper by about 3.5 inches.  No problems with it though.
1991 Disco 1 V8 modded

Guardian.

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 13:40:36 »
your tank will be plastic, its the rangeys that have the metal tanks.
we have modified our sliders also, they have large jacking points now to accomodate them big jack adapters.
not had any problems with them folding up though, it is important the holes drilled are exacltly 10mm or else it will allow movement if under a heavy load, other wise there is nothing that can move.
we didnt put the plate on that bolts to the sill itself as most people ask about this and do not want them as they rot the sills(apparently).

Offline nat_hale

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 22:53:29 »
I was considering either a Southdown tank guard with drop plate, or a Scorpion Racing detachable towbar with a seperate tank guard.  Either way the prices were about £300 total, for tank guard and towbar.

I ended up going for the Scorpion towbar (just under £200), and can then buy a tank guard later when I've got the money!!

As for demand, its would probably be high, as the Scorpion detachable and SD guard/drop plate were the only two detachable towbar options I could find.  However, after speaking to Discoparts at the Malvern show, they are about to start selling a Scorpion-style detachable towbar (they thought for around £130-140), and it looked a good bit of kit. If only I'd known....!!

Regards,
Nat
1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi S (Cooper ST tyres, 1" lift, heavy duty front & rear bumper, Scorpion Racing detachable towbar, Rebel steering and diff guards, big dent in N/S/R wing!!)
Thames Valley 4x4 Club

Offline alanweston

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 10:29:41 »
My mate Fat Vic as got a southdown tank gaurd he does not  want bought for his disco but wont fit because of the rear winch, Wants £200 for it

Offline WoodyWolf

Attack Member
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 16:09:39 »
I have a SD on my 200tdi and it has had some scrapes and thumps, I think it is a great piece of kit if not heavy. i am in the process of fitting some HD rear springs though to cope with the extra weight.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal