AuthorTopic: My wife wants a dog  (Read 5658 times)

tenpolequint

My wife wants a dog
« on: April 02, 2006, 12:35:45 »
She has always wanted a Chihuahua but with the suddenrise in popularity of this rat breed it seems that a puppy would be expensive. Anyone know about buying dogs and where to look?

Offline strapping young lad

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 13:09:47 »
:(contented):

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 13:51:02 »
get a mutt as they tend to be cheaper, and seem to be ill less
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 13:59:15 »
you cant beat a mutt for being a good dog. (only with a stick) JOKING!!

Offline landykins

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 14:03:50 »
Go have a look in your local RSPCA rescue centre, you'd be surprised at how many pedigree dogs are there. They also come fully injected, chipped, and with a full health check. You are also told if they are housetrained, whether they are okay with cats and other dogs and if they're good with kids. Shown is Bailey, our pedigree rottwieler.
Land rover series 3 (Old-Man-Emu shocks, overdrive, 90 wheels+Colway A/Ts, Paddocks parabolics)

1.8 petrol Freelander (standard)

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 14:05:33 »
i thought it said you dog was 'fuel injected'
wow that is a good dog :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline landykins

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 14:07:48 »
He might not be fuel injected but he is mostly gas powered :lol:  :lol:
Land rover series 3 (Old-Man-Emu shocks, overdrive, 90 wheels+Colway A/Ts, Paddocks parabolics)

1.8 petrol Freelander (standard)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 17:47:10 »
Quote from: "landykins"
Go have a look in your local RSPCA rescue centre, you'd be surprised at how many pedigree dogs are there. They also come fully injected, chipped, and with a full health check. You are also told if they are housetrained, whether they are okay with cats and other dogs and if they're good with kids. Shown is Bailey, our pedigree rottwieler.

Couldn't agree more, there are far too many dogs in need of a good home for you to be lining the pockets of people who just use them as cash-machines.

Pedigree dogs also tend to suffer more inlnesses and not last as long.

Besides, if you drive a Land Rover you need a nice BIG dog to help fill it, the obligatory spider might eat a chichu.... hell why buy a dog that most people can't even spell :roll:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 17:47:49 »
We got our staffy "HOUSE" from RSPCA and he is brill, Fully Jabbed and ready to go, They are often on strange diets though so you will need to give it time to settle to your home and food etc.
Ours was on ucanubra ? and was like a kid on redbull !!!
We have him on chappy now as recommended by vet and he is spot on now. Can take time to find right diet for your dog.
Also helps as there are thousands of rescue doogs that make lovely additions to your family.
Ovarall purchase cost £65 !!
Bargain for a £400 dog ! :shock:
Many pedigree owners admire him !
We had a bred dog from kennels when we were kids and it was brill , You have plenty of choice but check any breeeder is registered in some capacity ?
Others on here will know full details.
I am no expert with that side of things.
As already said really think about your lifestyle as it is a HUGE comittment ! (Not tyring to sound like a grown up)
We found a lovely local kennel where they really care for "residents", More like a hotel for dogs but at kennel prices !

Offline Dirty Gertie

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 19:16:41 »
I know of someone who is/was trying to re-home two dogs (bitches); a Lurcher and a Beagle; PM me if you want any further info and I'll put you in touch.

Mark; your 'mutt' is the mirror image of Gay Max, the confused Collie/Staffy!! :D
Janie.
Willow, Keavy, Angel, Thor, sleep tight my darlings, God bless.[/i]
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 19:28:55 »
Mark; your 'mutt' is the mirror image of Gay Max, the confused Collie/Staffy!! :D[/quote]

we dont know what kind of dog its made from, we think her mothers must have been gang r***d in the kennels :lol:  :lol:

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 20:27:42 »
Quote from: "landykins"

Thats why Im avoiding a rescue centre having visited one through work......There are so many lovely dogs in them... wrong site to rant....
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 20:50:17 »
true but ive always been of the opinion.. why is the dog/cat in the rspca in the first place

call me a cynic.. but thats how i feel.

i saw something i never thought existed

a puppy supermarket

in manchester

i was utterly disgusted  :evil:

Offline Tigger

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 21:48:38 »
Quote from: "strapping young lad"
true but ive always been of the opinion.. why is the dog/cat in the rspca in the first place

That was something that was a pleasant surprise when I first went to a rescue centre...   they were quite up front about why the animals were there...  some were unwanted gifts, some from elderly people, others came from couples breaking up and some were there because of behavioural problems.  They didn't try to hide the problem pets... they don't want to see them again in a few weeks I guess.
Tigger

Offline Dirty Gertie

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 21:56:54 »
Quote from: "strapping young lad"

It's usually because there's something wrong with the previous owner/s!!!
Janie.
Willow, Keavy, Angel, Thor, sleep tight my darlings, God bless.[/i]
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

Offline simdeb

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 21:57:16 »
i was talking to a lady in local pdsa shop at mansfield she said she knew of some one who rehomes chiuauha i will get the number for you if you want, there was some pups in our local paper £800 per pup!!!!!

we paid £350 for our sparks!

we also got our other dog from a rescue home she's great too (got no pics on puter as it crashed and took loads with it!!
North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 21:59:30 »
Thats really good

Sounds like the rescue centre I visited....
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline spy

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 22:12:37 »
I would say go rescue.  There are that many in there through no fault of their own.  Most breeds have a rescue dedicated to them (you may need to travel to collect) and it usually costs less than the dogs jabs which are often included in the price.  

Ive got a rescue staffy that was found tied up in a field over night with a bag of food and a bowl of water.  Had him nearly 2 years with no signs of aggresion or anything else.  In fact I have never know a softer dog.
110 2.5 Petrol LPG powered
Discovery 300tdi - Sold to Sooty
Discovery 200tdi  - SPY - SOLD
Series 3 - XUXY - SOLD :(

www.landyworld.co.uk

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 22:21:18 »
firstly though

think about the breed or size of dog you want and the kind of temprament you are looking for

tenpolequint

My wife wants a dog
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 23:35:01 »
My sister in law got a dog a whippet, from a rescue centre which was allegedly good with kids and other pets but it attacked all her other pets and bit the kids. For me that would be great  :lol:

Seriously though she needs to look at a smaller dog as we do not have a big garden and I think it would be unfair to have a larger dog with no where to doss. When I was younger and lived at my parents they did have two mongrels and they were excellent pets, full of character. My parents garden is huge.

My wife's family used to be dog breeders, I think mainly German Sheppards ( and aparently Jack Russels she has nag me to edit this) so she is well up to knowing the responsibilities of looking after a dog,including which I keep nagging picking up the dog poo. I hate in when the kids play in the street and end up treading in poo that some inconsiderate dog owner has left.  do think if you want a dog you must be responsible for it and that includes the unpleasantries of removing poo from the paths. Different if you live in an area surrounded by fields but we do live on a housing estate.

With smaller dogs there temperament is not the best which is why we are thinking of getting a puppy to get the dog used to the kids. I have a three year old girl and two teenage step sons. The dog can savage the step sons and hopefully my daughter will not savage the dog.

I think the Chihuahua is to much of a current trend dog what with the celebrities owning one although my wife has wanted one since forever. She said it is the closest thing she can get to a gremlin.

I did suggest Jack Russels to her and she seems to be ok with this. They are full of character. I have been keen on them ever since that show "Tales of the Golden Monkey " or whatever it was called about a pilot in the pacific around 1930's? and he had a jack russel with a glass eye.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I guess 4x4 owners are synonymous with  dogs.

tenpolequint

My wife wants a dog
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2006, 23:36:03 »
Quote from: "mark.yellow.series.3"

That is a great looking dog. Has the looks of being your best friend.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2006, 09:31:57 »
We had 2 Border Collies, one of whom was 'euthanased' in January, not a day goes by I don't think about him.

Sadly that's the 'other side of the coin'

But onto more positive points
Get a real Dog, not some ball of fluff :wink:
If you want a real nut-case, why not get a Springer?? :lol:

We're only just starting to  think about giving Gypsy some companionship, but surprisingly she's never even looked around for him, let alone 'fretted, or pined'.

If we do, I'm not too sure about another Collie (if a dog), as Jack will still be in my mind.
So, I'm leaning towards Whippet, Greyhound, Deerhound or Alsation.

We'll see though, as with 'Small-Childs' 2 Rabbits (Pie & Stew), 2 Guinea-Pigs & 4 Fish, another Dog may not come to fruition
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline DaveS

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2006, 12:03:48 »
We had a Hienz 57 pup from the RSPCA, she gave us 15 years of affection and fun despite her chewing things and the vet bills!!

Saddest day was having her put to sleep when her legs gave out (arthritus and vet could do no more)

Would have another anyday but as we both work it would not be fair.

Its worth having pet plan insurance as vet bills can be big!!

Ours had to have pills for her artritus from age of 6!

Did'nt stop her being full of life and loving exercise!!

I fiound hera great stress buster, if you have had a crappy day you always get a great greeting when you come home!- I would then take her for a walk and unwind, starangely we never had problems walking her in all weathers, keeps you fit too!! :D
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD
Kia Sorento XS. (SWMBOs car)
Renault Megane CC(my everyday car)

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
dog
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2006, 14:47:25 »
Hi, if you want a really mad dog get one of these :wink:, think the breeders have there brains removed when they are born,

He has managed to chew over 12 pairs of shoes & slippers, forgot how many clothes he took out of the washing machine & dragged around the garden, SWMBO in her wisdom bought a new digital washing machine for £350 & Tyson bit the contol knob off on the second day:twisted:  every time it bleeped he would bark at it  :? ,

Trying to talk SWMBO into getting a Jack Russle to keep him company & at least she might be able to hold the lead on walk's :lol: ,

John.
John.

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2006, 15:11:24 »
we paid £200 for a well bred german shepard (not like the kennel club prefered shape, but a good solid, fit healthy looking one) he is without doub the best friend i ever had, gets on great with kids/other dogs, doesnt like the bin men, but think he gets that from us! (usually leave rubbish all over the drive)

choose a dog that suits your lifestyle:

shepards/collies etc ("intelligent" dogs) will shred your house if left in all day while your at work
whippets greyhounds (sporting dogs) need lots of excercise.
poodles, sharpe, chuah... (toy dos) will leave you the object of laughter throughout your neighbourhood. they also tend to be grumpy and high maintenance!
terriers and hounds (working dogs) tend to be loyal, and have the advantage of inteligent and sporting dogs.

these are all just generalisations, and a good old back street mongy will always have there own unique personality, all about how they are raised too.

its up to a 20 year commitment, take into account holidays, work patterns, space available, free time, genetic floors due to breeding (eg, shepards notorious for rear end going) dog or a bitch? other dogs in the neighbourhood, cats in the neighbourhood, children in the neighbourhood.

best of luck, hope you find the right friend real soon!  :wink:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

dew1911

My wife wants a dog
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2006, 15:43:30 »
We've just got a mutt, but she's the best dog in the world to me

Offline NiceBlueWellies

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 18:01:39 »
We got a mut too, from the RSPCA- appears on the initial page of MC frequently, in the back of "Charity".  

He is a Staffy cross, but would not have a terrier again.  Loved my Cocker Spaniel to bits, and wish he was still here.  Stank though when he got wet, and took ages to dry.
Jules

Have wellies, get muddy ;-)

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 18:06:03 »
Quote from: "tenpolequint"
Quote from: "mark.yellow.series.3"

That is a great looking dog. Has the looks of being your best friend.

i had this cold thats been going round and had a day off work, i stayed in bed all day and the dog never left the side of my bed.
it follows me everywhere.

we call her JD after jack daniels. :D

tenpolequint

My wife wants a dog
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 18:37:04 »
Just to give it go and have a look I am going to take the other half to a RSPCA type place in Lower Halstow tonight. She has been phoning around all day for her Jack Russel pups. There are some dog pups in Dartford.

Offline BT-R

Attack Member
My wife wants a dog
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2006, 07:37:00 »
If you want a smallish dog, go for a Westie.  For those of you who know Colin, they are bright, brave, funny, extremely cute and very faithful.  One downside though, being white, they can can look a bit mingy when covered in mud.  Must be because of their short stubby legs. he finds mud when there isn't any.
Wendy (aka Wombat)

Certe, toto, sentio nos in kansate non iam adesse

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal