AuthorTopic: Fuel Protests - something to think on....  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Biodiesel-Bev

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel Protests - something to think on....
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 14:15:54 »
Quote from: "littlepow"
Quote from: "biodiesel-queen"
... threatened Police strikes and another potential war in Kosovo!

Police Strikes?   :?  The police cannot legally (or illegally) go on strike.

Who's going to arrest them if they do?

Police officers are not allowed to go on strike or take any form of industrial action.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*******    Greenworld Biodiesel Ltd, Brook Mill, Carr Lane, Slaithwaite, Huddersfield HD7 5BQ     *******

www.greenworldbiodiesel.co.uk ~ enqs@greenworldbiodiesel.co.uk

"The use of vegetable oils for engine fuels may seem insignificant today.  But such oils may become, in the course of time, as important as petroleum and the coal tar products of the present day."  - Rudolph Diesel (1858-1913)

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 14:24:35 »

Police officers are not allowed to go on strike or take any form of industrial action.

No but what choice would they have if they feel backed in to a corner people will only take so much!

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 15:40:47 »

Yet!

pux

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 16:06:21 »
and as normal it will put on us in the forces to keep things running!!!! but all that aside im all for this action even if it maybe the wrong way to go about it. As this goverment has in my eyes and many others destroying this country. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  and yes i do vote etc etc

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 16:18:11 »
Oh god, here we go, war,fuel blockades, taxes, cops on strike.

One plus point is that there will be no cops to empty the speed cameras that we can zoom past, BUT we cant afford the fuel, AND theres no fuel anyway as we blockaded the terminals.

You just cant win.... :lol:

If the cops do strike will we have marshall law??

Damn its gonna get interesting.
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2007, 16:30:07 »
Quote from: "rollazuki"
Oh god, here we go, war,fuel blockades, taxes, cops on strike.

One plus point is that there will be no cops to empty the speed cameras that we can zoom past, BUT we cant afford the fuel, AND theres no fuel anyway as we blockaded the terminals.

You just cant win.... :lol:

If the cops do strike will we have marshall law??

Damn its gonna get interesting.

If the Police go on strike, the government will pull in special powers and give all the PCSO's and traffic wardens extra authority, and make more use of the Special Constabulary.
Not sure if I like that idea.
But, I don't see that happening. I took an oath when I joined to protect life and limb, prevent and detect crime etc etc .
I don't think I could live with myself if I was on strike and something happened.
Plus the fact I am a complete mercenary git. I still have to pay my mortgage and feed my family. I don't think a Police strike would be overly popular with the Public.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 16:48:08 »
Well we have the weird situation today of the shell garage being cheaper than tesco, morrisons and asda!!

It was 99.9 for petrol and 104.9 for diesel.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Biodiesel-Bev

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 20:46:20 »
Quote from: "karlo"

No but what choice would they have if they feel backed in to a corner people will only take so much!

It's quite simple, if an officer went on strike he/she would get their P45 PDQ.

The only actions that could be taken are 'work to rule' i.e. not working any overtime, additional duties etc.  I suppose if we all went sick on the same day, it would get the message across... :wink:

*******    Greenworld Biodiesel Ltd, Brook Mill, Carr Lane, Slaithwaite, Huddersfield HD7 5BQ     *******

"The use of vegetable oils for engine fuels may seem insignificant today.  But such oils may become, in the course of time, as important as petroleum and the coal tar products of the present day."  - Rudolph Diesel (1858-1913)

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2007, 20:50:12 »
At the end of the day I'm afraid to say that the police really shouldn't be allowed to strike, the idea that they might is genuinely scary especially when we are continually made aware of yob behaviour.

Then again, I'm sure they have their reasons and the fact that any situation can reach the point where people are willing to strike is probably sufficient cause for concern.

It is impossible in any company, or organisation to keep everybody happy all the time, but allowing things to get to the point where the majority are unhappy the majority of the time should be indication enough that something needs to change.
--

pux

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2007, 21:27:18 »
Quote from: "datalas"
At the end of the day I'm afraid to say that the police really shouldn't be allowed to strike, the idea that they might is genuinely scary especially when we are continually made aware of yob behaviour.

so why should the fire brigade allowed to strike :roll:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 21:31:10 »
Quote from: "pux146"

I thought that the Fire Service's right to strike had been boshed by Two Jags Prescott :shock:

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 21:38:01 »

Where did I say they were ?

I'm not criticising the individuals involved, far from it they have nothing but respect for them,  what I was trying to say is that it is a very sad, and dangerous situation when we have to rely on a persons sense of duty and civil duty to keep them doing their jobs than any of the traditional means of reward....

It should never ever get to the point where the majority are in favour of a strike, because if they do, we're in serious trouble.  

The issue involved is that we know that whenever there is a problem that the army[1] cannot handle themselves then the people in the police force / fire brigade, or whoever is striking will abandon their strike to assist in whatever way they can :(  

Thus because they aren't a bunch of heartless mercenaries they won't win :(

[1] Who will likely be told to do their best even though they have sod all resources themselves
--

Offline karlo

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2007, 21:40:05 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"

I thought that the Fire Service's right to strike had been boshed by Two Jags Prescott :shock:

There were measure's put in place for vehicles to be able to cross the picket lines iirc  I could be wrong as its a while ago now and that part of my life drifted away when that so & so prescott made us redundant, not that i'm bitter you understand.  :evil:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2007, 21:51:56 »

There were measure's put in place for vehicles to be able to cross the picket lines iirc  I could be wrong as its a while ago now and that part of my life drifted away when that so & so prescott made us redundant, not that i'm bitter you understand.  :evil:

I understand perfectly. Prescott was a cock and his replacement isn't much better.

littlepow

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 08:50:06 »

Fire Service can not strike anymore. But with the threat of the last strike (pre strike ban), the military where given the right to use there equipment and engines.

If the police strike, then all hell will break lose. Military aren't trained to police the public, they are trained to dominate the ground.

Oh and baggsy Norfolks Lotus!

Offline karlo

Attack Member
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2007, 11:20:24 »
From Virgin News.....

Police hold emergency talks over pay offer

Police officers are holding emergency talks which could see them demand the right to strike over a bitter pay row.

The talks will pile pressure on the Government over its refusal to backdate a 2.5 per cent pay rise to September 1 - a decision which the Police Federation claims effectively reduces the increase to 1.9 per cent.

Officers from each of the 43 forces in England and Wales will look at what action they can take over the dispute.

They will be joined by representatives from all police staff associations including the Police Superintendent's Association and the Association of Chief Police Officers.

Senior Police Federation members have already taken legal advice on whether any industrial action could be taken to force the Government's hand.

Police officers are banned from striking by an act of Parliament although some Federation members have called for a ballot to demand it is removed.

Association of Chief Police Officers president Ken Jones said Government ministers should not underestimate the tensions felt by officers on the pay issue.

He said: "I feel we are not giving sufficient weight to the fact that cops don't enjoy the ordinary rights of other workers in terms of industrial action."

pux

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2007, 11:47:37 »
so when will the forces be allowed to cause a uproar about are pay :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  Answer never :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2007, 16:17:15 »
here is a little snippet that I found on the Web about our righteous and upstanding MP's.
Yes, I am slightly miffed about the current pay deal for the Police, the current hike in fuel prices, the lack of pay increases for the Armed Forces and numerous other matters.
As you can see it is a little bit dated, but hey! Nothing changes!

Tony Blair's Government is forever designing new initiatives to deter welfare fraud. They encourage us to inform on cheats.
    Those caught applying for welfare payments to which they're not entitled face prosecution and - in some cases - prison sentences.
    Quite right, too. But have you noticed an odd omission when it comes to prosecuting those who falsely claim public money?
    Prime Ministers, Cabinet ministers, junior ministers, ordinary MPs and peers routinely claim expenses which are excessive - or fraudulent, in the accepted meaning of that word - but nothing can be done about it.
    If you and I make a claim for Government money which seems excessive, it's investigated. If they find we've set out to cheat them, we're prosecuted.
    Last year, our 659 MPs racked up expenses totalling £78 million, averaging £120,000 each.
    The 20 costliest MPs - 16 Labour, two SNP, one Liberal Democrat and one Conservative - claimed housing and travel expenses ranging from £142,977 to £168,889.
    The average MP claimed expenses of £118,437 (on top of their £57,485 salary and generous pension scheme) to pay for staff, office expenses, second homes, travel and computers. Their expenses have soared by more than a third since 2002.
    Scandalously, these extraordinary-claims won't be investigated. Why not? Because no politician can be prosecuted for fiddling their expenses. When Tory MP Michael Trend was accused of doing so by the Mail on Sunday, he repaid £90,000 and decided to stand down at the next election.
    Chancellor Gordon Brown has devised ever more ingenious ways of siphoning money from the expenses of companies and private individuals but none which apply to his fellow politicians. We're told we should congratulate ourselves on having the cleanest public life in the world. "Look how little corruption there is here compared with other countries in Europe," they say.
    The reason for this perception is that political corruption as such isn't illegal here. The worst that can happen to a minister caught using the powers of his office improperly is that he or she may have to resign. In other countries, it's prison.
    Peter Mandelson twice had to resign his Cabinet job after allegations to the effect that he had misused his ministerial position. On neither occasion was it a matter to be investigated by the police. Moreover, it didn't stop his friend, the Prime Minister, getting him a cosy, highly-paid public job in Brussels.

Offline Biodiesel-Bev

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2007, 20:54:08 »
From Virgin News.....

Police hold emergency talks over pay offer

Police officers are holding emergency talks which could see them demand the right to strike over a bitter pay row.

The talks will pile pressure on the Government over its refusal to backdate a 2.5 per cent pay rise to September 1 - a decision which the Police Federation claims effectively reduces the increase to 1.9 per cent.

Officers from each of the 43 forces in England and Wales will look at what action they can take over the dispute.

They will be joined by representatives from all police staff associations including the Police Superintendent's Association and the Association of Chief Police Officers.

Senior Police Federation members have already taken legal advice on whether any industrial action could be taken to force the Government's hand.

Police officers are banned from striking by an act of Parliament although some Federation members have called for a ballot to demand it is removed.

Association of Chief Police Officers president Ken Jones said Government ministers should not underestimate the tensions felt by officers on the pay issue.

He said: "I feel we are not giving sufficient weight to the fact that cops don't enjoy the ordinary rights of other workers in terms of industrial action."

Come the Revolution.....Bring it on!

Offline karlo

Attack Member
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2007, 21:13:21 »
More from Virgin News

Police to be balloted over pay row strike

Every police officer in the UK is to be balloted on whether they want to lobby for the right to strike, following talks over a bitter pay row.

Police officers are banned from striking by an act of Parliament but an emergency meeting has been held in central London by members of the Police Federation to discuss the Government's refusal to backdate a 2.5 per cent pay rise.

A spokesman for the Police Federation of England and Wales said the vote will be conducted among all officers, including those in Scotland and Northern Ireland. It is likely to take place in the first three months of 2008.

Senior police officers from the 43 forces in England and Wales also called for the Home Secretary's immediate resignation after a no-confidence vote in the ability of Jacqui Smith to deal with their pay or conditions.

The Police Federation claims the Goverment's refusal to backdate the salary increase to September 1 effectively reduces the increase to 1.9 per cent.

Of the no-confidence vote, chairman of Sussex Police Federation, Detective Inspector Brian Stockham, said: "It is a very simple message - we have no trust or confidence in the Home Secretary. She has treated us with disdain and contempt."

He said the crucial blow had been a leaked letter between Ms Smith and the Treasury, which indicated that the pay settlement had been a significant break from the previous system.

"She claims she has the high moral ground, but in fact she is in the low foothills of morality because she has treated the national negotiators preposterously."

Alan Gordon, vice chairman of the Police Federation, said: "What's coming through from representatives around the country is police officers do not want to go on strike. They do not want to do anything that will jeopardise the safety of people in this country."

The Police Federation said protest rallies will take place in London and Redditch in coming weeks to ramp up pressure on the Government.

Les Gray, chairman of Strathclyde Police Federation, said his members are "very aggrieved" over the pay settlement for their colleagues south of the border.

He said Ms Smith had "betrayed" police officers in England and Wales with a 1.9 per cent settlement.

He said: "I cannot believe the way my colleagues from the rest of the UK have been treated."

Stan Hebborn, of Surrey Police Federation, said: "My members are unhappy that they have been offered something which has very quickly been taken away before it had been delivered.

"The issue is not the amount of money, which is between £150 and £200 per individual. It is more the fact the whole process has been reneged upon.

"There are greater things on the horizon we need to discuss. At the moment, we need to find out exactly what my members want from the Home Secretary."

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2007, 23:11:52 »
And on top of all this, the Home Secretary has the audacity to send out a Christmas message of thanks to all Police officers!
I think I'll be sending mine back with "S*D OFF!" written across it! :evil:

littlepow

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 08:34:18 »
And on top of all this, the Home Secretary has the audacity to send out a Christmas message of thanks to all Police officers!
I think I'll be sending mine back with "S*D OFF!" written across it! :evil:

Maybe you all should, would be an interesting statement. Just don't put a stamp on it, so she gets billed!  :evil:

Offline Dirty Gertie

Attack Member
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2007, 16:26:04 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
You also need to remeber that in typical labour party fasion this Gov't has got the country serioulsy into debt, again.

Even though thay have pretty much sold the shop whilst they have been in power and we no longer owe the Yanks for WWII, gov't borrowing exceeded the forecast by a massive margin last year.

They've got 2 wars to pay for and someone has to foot the bill.

Hmm, I'm not sure how old you are, but in case you're not old enough to remember; the tories under Fuhrer Thatcher did a most wonderful job of shafting the working populace of this country back in the late 70's and 80's; they too hiked prices (remember 15% interest on your mortgage??) cut people's jobs (we USED to have a thriving coal-mining industry), sold off the country's assets, and started wars, oh, sorry; "conflicts" with which the electorate disagreed, oh yes, and there was the 'poll tax' too: which in effect was a tax on being over 18 and living in England!!
It's not a "Labour" trait; it's a Government trait!!
Sadly, a huge amount of people in this country are too complacent to even use their vote, and then they sit around complaining about whoever got in!!

Bring on the revolution!!!

:evil:
Janie.
Willow, Keavy, Angel, Thor, sleep tight my darlings, God bless.[/i]
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

Offline James.Harwood

Attack Member
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2007, 16:37:19 »
Just to get back onto topic,

The best fuel protet is NOT to fill up, that hits the useless pile of whatever that run the country harder than blockades.

Offline Dr Strangeglove

Attack Member
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2007, 16:26:23 »
Just read the posts here - I’ve had enough - got my weekend planned though:

Sat a.m. - Off to insurance brokers!

Sat p.m. - Find a canoe shop!

Sun - Blackpool here I come!!
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2007, 16:30:17 »
Quote from: "Dr Strangeglove"
Just read the posts here - I’ve had enough - got my weekend planned though:

Sat a.m. - Off to insurance brokers!

Sat p.m. - Find a canoe shop!

Sun - Blackpool here I come!!

Well, if that is your plan, you'll need a clever disguise. I've found something that may help. It'll fox everybody! :wink:  :wink:

Offline karlo

Attack Member
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 09:06:21 »
Taken from petrolprices.com

Transaction 2007, the group behind the fuel protests taking place around the country tomorrow, have said that the protests are aiming to “fire a warning shot to the government.” David Handley, spokesperson for group, warned, “it's our intention to come back in January and let's put it like this, it won't be quite as peaceful as it's going to be tomorrow.”

He continued: “we have got contingency plans for where the next stage of this will go. I'm obviously not going to discuss that because the next element has got to be a surprise. That's the only way that you'll have the impact with government to make them realise that you mean business.”

Handley hopes the protests will show politicians how angry motorists are at rising fuel prices. Transaction 2007 blame the current tax system, whereby duty and VAT are added the price of petrol. He said: “we have not got an issue with tax if tax is totally transparent. It's got to be fair, it's got to be shown that the money that's drawn from the revenue from fuel, should be used to create a better infrastructure, better investment in transport and not used to prop up the inefficient management of the cash flow from government.”

The protests tomorrow will start at 10am at fuel refineries and depots across the country, including those in Manchester, Southampton, Liverpool, Essex, Cardiff, and Lincolnshire. Despite the threat of further, potentially more disruptive action early next year, Handley maintains that tomorrow's action will be peaceful. Transaction 2007 were involved in the fuel protests in 2000, where lorry drivers blockaded refineries, leading to nationwide fuel shortages. But Handley maintained: “we were accused last time by a lot of people who didn't want to take part of not doing it in the correct manner. This time we're doing it in the correct way. We're sending a message in a peaceful form, but if people don't address that and listen to us then 2000 is likely to happen all over again.”

Early indications from polls and comments on our blog have suggested that whilst motorists are angry at rising fuel prices, opinions are divided as to whether targeting refineries is the best method of protest. In addition, only 183 people have said they will be protesting tomorrow. It has been suggested that it would be better to send a petition to the government or protest in London, because they are responsible for the tax on fuel.

However, Stephen Joseph from the Campaign for Better Transport believes that reducing tax on fuel would be the worst thing the government could do. “It gives motorists the false sense of security that they can continue to drive around in their gas guzzlers. High tax acts as an incentive for motorists to switch to greener alternatives.” He continued, “fuel tax in the UK is not drastically higher than the rest of Europe. We are now only around 1% higher than countries such as Germany, France and the Netherlands.”

So are we paying too much in tax on our fuel in the UK? Should we ensure that all our tax gets spent on motoring? Or should we continue to tax at the current rate to encourage greener alternatives?

Do you support the fuel protests?
Y      5143 (92%)
N      424 (8%)

Offline JumboBeef

Attack Member
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2007, 12:15:21 »
Fuel Protest Flop.

In Southampton, 25 people attended the largest planned demonstration but another protest in Essex consisted of a single pensioner.

Not really suprising though, is it?  Most drivers know that these lastest increases are because of the global market, and not down to The UK Gov. and standing in the cold with a sign ain't going to achieve anything.............
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE V8 auto on LPG, time warp!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal