AuthorTopic: Fuel Protests - something to think on....  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel Protests - something to think on....
« on: December 10, 2007, 17:27:12 »
If there was a rumour of a protest, would you fuel up?

Would you fuel up *out of character*?

Think about this very carefully.

If you all go out and buy fuel prior to the "protest", and it has no effect...several million people have bought more fuel than they would *normally* (i.e. out of character). All that money goes where? Hmmmm Govt, fuel company and garage owner. You get a nice blip in the sales projection, and lo .... it's possible to drop the price a tad .....

If you REALLY want the fuel protest to work, you really ought not to fuel up before the action.

Just my 2p's worth.

Just think :)
--
Neil

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 17:32:07 »
:(  :(  :(  but im on empty......please let me fill up  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 17:43:30 »
Quote from: "denviks"

Same here - I was down to half a tank on Saturday and usually fill up then. Good point though - I seem to recall a previous occasion when the threat of protests caused fuel shortages as garages were swamped with people determined to make sure they had a full tank.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 18:02:28 »
Quote from: "Disco Matt"
Quote from: "denviks"

Same here - I was down to half a tank on Saturday and usually fill up then. Good point though - I seem to recall a previous occasion when the threat of protests caused fuel shortages as garages were swamped with people determined to make sure they had a full tank.

As I remember it wasn't just a full tank, people were filling up lots of containers as well as other things, like the fool in derby who filled a wheelie bin full of petrol which exploded  :roll:

I'm not filling up as I don't think fuel will be stopped coming out of the depot's, maybe delayed but I think it will still be delivered.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 18:17:03 »
Just imagine the effects of a nice rumour about blockades .. spread by... oh say a fuel company ;-)

Anyone got one of those money printing machines?  :twisted:

It's already not looking not very well put together... first it's Wednesday, then it's Saturday .. and you can guarantee the actual thing is going to be a go slow in the cities... on a Saturday that ISN'T going to annoy business, just the public. The people you want ON your side ...

Hey ho :)
--
Neil

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 19:31:35 »
They'll be no problem at my Bio diesel depot
 :wink:
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 19:35:08 »
LOL .... of course all those on SVO - no fuel for trucks = no fuel for deliveries = higher SVO prices/shortages .....  :roll:

That's SVO btw ;-)
--
Neil

att

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 22:44:08 »
I must say i am generally disappointed by the response on this website........I really do believe that some make their own luck in this world, others need to be dragged by the nose.
I really do feel that most UK peeps are far too selfish to demonstrate as it may cause them as individuals too much hassle, in that case the great British public surely deserve to be paying £2+ per litre, because they will, come 12 months time. :roll:

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 22:48:19 »
Quote from: "att"
I must say i am generally disappointed by the response on this website........I really do believe that some make their own luck in this world, others need to be dragged by the nose.
I really do feel that most UK peeps are far too selfish to demonstrate as it may cause them as individuals too much hassle, in that case the great British public surely deserve to be paying £2+ per litre, because they will, come 12 months time. :roll:

I'd like to give your post the response it deserves but I fear the Mods may very well ban me if I do. So I'll just say think "sex & travel" or come to www.landyzone.co.uk then we can discuss your post properly
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

Offline graham

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 23:19:37 »
I have to agree we do just roll over and take it.  :cry:

yes we will see £2.00 a litre
Nissan Terrano
Land Rover Lightweight
ex TD5 Discovery &
RR classic owner

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 23:24:22 »
Let's make it £4 while we are being doom merchants? Sheesh.... :roll:
--
Neil

Offline William

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 23:31:01 »
well thrasher, you obviously have so much money that the price of fuel doesnt concern you in the slightest. This goverment seems focused on making the rich richer and poor poorer. I can see why everyione is leaving this country now

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 23:35:11 »
i filled the disco up tonight ......not becuase there may be some action looming but because it was empty.....

£84 to fill the tank  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :oops:  :oops:

well it seems that it may only be the well off that are driving soon  :(  :(

shocking.....
cheers
dennis

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 23:41:07 »
I think people are totally missing the point here, but hey, people do.

OIL IS EXPENSIVE NOW.

TAX IS ABOUT 65% NOW.

THE GOVERNMENT IGNORED ONE MILLION PROTESTERS REGARDING A WAR WE DID NOT WANT.

WE HAVE A HIGH COST OF LIVING.

Add these up, and the end result is - THEY WILL IGNORE YOU.

I'm all for cheaper fuel too, I can't afford to chuck £120 a time into the RR as much as the rest, and I'm damned annoyed by it as well. However, I really really don't think anything will come of the protest :(

However the point of this thread was to HELP, i.e. to dissuade panic buying, but now I'm being made out to be some rich git, WHICH I AM NOT.

But hey, each to their own, you think of me as something I'm not, and I'll do you a deal, I'll think the same of you.
--
Neil

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 23:46:00 »
i heard on the news 3 days ago that the price of the barrel was falling now.....but the prices are still going up ....  :(

im not pointing the finger at anyone here for having more or less money than me cause i would'nt like to guess.....

i dont think these days it matters what you have parked on the drive....that does not show how much or how little you have  :?

i am personnaly gutted at how much money is taken away from us in tax'es.... thats all. no more no less.....
cheers
dennis

Offline narked

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 23:46:27 »
£84?! Filled mine up on Monday (for it to break down on Tuesday, typical). Think I had about 5 litres left in the tank before I topped it up, and it took £90.20. Think that was at about 109.9p/l, though had I actually made it as far as Manchester in the Disco on the Tuesday I could have been paying 105.9.

Powys 4x4 Response

Current Mods:
Moonraker Minor CB radio
Safari Snorkel
Extended axle and transmission breathers
235/70R16 Insa Turbo Dakar M/Ts
Roof light bar with 4x Ring Road Runner lamps

Offline graham

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 23:55:04 »
Yes I can read the thread is about panic buying, but the price of fuel is what the protest is about, if the current price is harming business and pushing retail prices up, which it is. Then not only are we being hit by private fuel costs but also paying higher prices for goods, as most goods have vat the government are raking it in.
Drop the tax on fuel is the only way.
Nissan Terrano
Land Rover Lightweight
ex TD5 Discovery &
RR classic owner

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 23:57:34 »
<sigh>

Blockade/Protest = potential transport issues = difficulty in supply = higher prices = the same issue  :cry:

Negotiation is, in fact, the only solution  :(

Alternatively we could all opt out of a serivice provided by our tax ....hmmm social security, nhs, police, schooling etc etc  ... pick one :(
--
Neil

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 00:04:31 »
Quote from: "graham"
Yes I can read the thread is about panic buying, but the price of fuel is what the protest is about, if the current price is harming business and pushing retail prices up, which it is. Then not only are we being hit by private fuel costs but also paying higher prices for goods, as most goods have vat the government are raking it in.

The government, whether it is raking it in or not. Has decided it needs to raise a set amount of money through taxation. if it cancelled all the duty on fuel it would have to raise the level of taxation on something else So would everyone be happy with a basic rate of income tax at 30% or VAT at 20%?? No they wouldn't. Taxation is never going to be popular but unfortunately it isn't going to go away either. A the end of the day fuel is governed by the market forces of supply and demand and demand is outstripping supply so the price will continue to rise.
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 00:06:09 »
Redhand

=D>

Thanks, I'm not alone in my understanding :)
--
Neil

Offline graham

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 00:37:39 »
Quote from: "redhand"

The government, whether it is raking it in or not. Has decided it needs to raise a set amount of money through taxation. if it cancelled all the duty on fuel it would have to raise the level of taxation on something else So would everyone be happy with a basic rate of income tax at 30% or VAT at 20%?? No they wouldn't. Taxation is never going to be popular but unfortunately it isn't going to go away either. A the end of the day fuel is governed by the market forces of supply and demand and demand is outstripping supply so the price will continue to rise.
So as said £2.00 a litre will not be far away.
I'm not saying cancell duty on fuel but they should off set some of it to reduce the burden.
They can reduce public spending but they always use the old chest nut of a reduction in health, schools etc to scare off anyone who supports cuts in taxation.
I'm in business use transport and TNT the costs are passed on to the end customer, retail.
Nissan Terrano
Land Rover Lightweight
ex TD5 Discovery &
RR classic owner

Offline graham

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 00:49:15 »
I'm away for a couple of days so may not respond, i'm in the food industry we have absorbed the costs so far, but i can assure you the costs are going to be passed on food will go up in price along with other retail.
Nissan Terrano
Land Rover Lightweight
ex TD5 Discovery &
RR classic owner

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 00:56:40 »
I'm away for a couple of days so may not respond, i'm in the food industry we have absorbed the costs so far, but i can assure you the costs are going to be passed on food will go up in price along with other retail.

High food prices are good. They're the only things that cause popular uprisings and revolutions.

French Revolution, Russian revolution, and even the 2nd world war were all triggered or heavily influenced by sharp rises in food prices.
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 08:25:24 »
Quote from: "redhand"

so they are using the motorist as a cash cow again???  :?:

if they need to raise more funds shouldnt the whole country help raise this.? not just one sector?

just food for thought?
cheers
dennis

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 09:22:20 »

Normally I would agree but this is like a windfall to the Gov. As we pay VAT on fuel as  %age rather than flat rate the rise in the oil price effects the VAT paid on the pump and in the shops; that small increase in so many things results in a huge windfall for the Government; way over what was budgeted for. I could even live with that if it were passed on but it will be wasted. The Oil cost puts the price up by a few pence a liter and the tax system more or less doubles that rise.

Bottom line the tax man is getting a  LOT more than he budgeted for; maybe we will all get a rebate next year?
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:13 »

I'm not saying cancel duty on fuel but they should off set some of it to reduce the burden.

Unfortunately the tax percentage is so high to offset it means other taxes would go through the roof, it wants the very over inflated wages that MP's and the top brass earn cutting then the government spending would drop dramatically.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 11:56:12 »
You also need to remeber that in typical labour party fasion this Gov't has got the country serioulsy into debt, again.

Even though thay have pretty much sold the shop whilst they have been in power and we no longer owe the Yanks for WWII, gov't borrowing exceeded the forecast by a massive margin last year.

They've got 2 wars to pay for and someone has to foot the bill.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

littlepow

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 13:18:01 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
You also need to remeber that in typical labour party fasion this Gov't has got the country serioulsy into debt, again.

Even though thay have pretty much sold the shop whilst they have been in power and we no longer owe the Yanks for WWII, gov't borrowing exceeded the forecast by a massive margin last year.

They've got 2 wars to pay for and someone has to foot the bill.

Add to that military covering fuel blockade, threatened Police strikes and another potential war in Kosovo!

Doubt your going to get any savings on tax for fuel.
There is more to look at than just the cost of fuel. Look at the prices charged during the last fuel strike and the effect it had there after.

Offline Biodiesel-Bev

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2007, 13:38:08 »
Quote from: "littlepow"
... threatened Police strikes and another potential war in Kosovo!

Police Strikes?   :?  The police cannot legally (or illegally) go on strike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*******    Greenworld Biodiesel Ltd, Brook Mill, Carr Lane, Slaithwaite, Huddersfield HD7 5BQ     *******

www.greenworldbiodiesel.co.uk ~ enqs@greenworldbiodiesel.co.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The use of vegetable oils for engine fuels may seem insignificant today.  But such oils may become, in the course of time, as important as petroleum and the coal tar products of the present day."  - Rudolph Diesel (1858-1913)

littlepow

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 13:53:36 »
Quote from: "biodiesel-queen"
Quote from: "littlepow"
... threatened Police strikes and another potential war in Kosovo!

Police Strikes?   :?  The police cannot legally (or illegally) go on strike.

Who's going to arrest them if they do?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal