AuthorTopic: Fitting gas shocks!  (Read 452 times)

Offline andyhubbard

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fitting gas shocks!
« on: April 12, 2006, 17:20:10 »
Decided i'm going to fit gas shocks to the motor,rear ones no problem but to do the front shock can i just release the top and bottom nuts and remove or are we talking more than this?-help please.

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Fitting gas shocks!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 19:23:16 »
yes you can but...and its a big but you have to either take out the spring or the turret. It is possible to remove and refit by removing the turret..i would be tempted to fit a tubular 2 inch lower one at the same time.Paddocks do em and they arent a fortune.
Have you decided what shocks yet?
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Fitting gas shocks!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 22:59:35 »
The easy way is to undo the bottom nut on the old shocker, then the four turret retaining nuts. Be very careful with these as they have a tendency to snap easily!!  :?
Then you can pull the turret & shocker out in one go from inside the engine bay.
Remove the top shocker fixing and put the new one in.  :D

Having said that, if you snap any of the turret retaining nuts, then the spring has to come out to replace the retaining ring which sits on top of the spring.  :(

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Fitting gas shocks!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 01:56:34 »
Be honest, you might as well get a pair of retaining rings for what they cost as they are made of cheese.  Paddocks do nice HD ones made from proper bolts welded to some steel, just the job :wink:

Oh and undoing the bottom nut is a faff, you can barely turn the nut one flat and if it's all seized up..........

I drill through the nut from the front and split it with a cold chisel, I like hitting stuff.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal