AuthorTopic: Yet another radiator....  (Read 4227 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Yet another radiator....
« on: June 29, 2005, 17:25:21 »
3rd rad in less than 3 years. Arghh.

I now think it is the way Kenlowe suggest their fans are mounted. They are supplied to mount to the body either side of the rad. Then they have shrouds that rest against the back of the rad core. With the fans twanging (tech term, you know) and the rad being rubber mounted, I think they are clashing when being jolted around.

Anyone else suffered this problem?
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline rokcrawlin

Attack Member
Re: Yet another radiator....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 05:58:37 »
Quote from: "V8MoneyPit"
3rd rad in less than 3 years. Arghh.

I now think it is the way Kenlowe suggest their fans are mounted. They are supplied to mount to the body either side of the rad. Then they have shrouds that rest against the back of the rad core. With the fans twanging (tech term, you know) and the rad being rubber mounted, I think they are clashing when being jolted around.

Anyone else suffered this problem?

put some sticky rubber strip between the rad and the fan cowling to stop it chaffing
everything in the path of life becomes clear when you get the wipers working .....................mmmmm then theres the washer bottle motor DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Yet another radiator....
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 11:51:02 »
dont use the kenlowe fitting kit that puts the things through the fins o the rad,dads got his mounted of the top n bottom of his rad so it doiesnt knacker it
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Yet another radiator....
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 12:17:09 »
Ours are bolted through the rad and have been ok up to press.  Must admit thogh I thought it was a c**p idea when I first saw it (I didn't fit them).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Yet another radiator....
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 16:58:33 »
Quote from: "rokcrawlin"
put some sticky rubber strip between the rad and the fan cowling to stop it chaffing

The standard kit is supplied with an edge trim for the shrouds. But I don't think it is chaffing as such. The core failure is always at the ends of the tubes, not where the shrouds touch it.
I've now reassembled it without the shrouds and it seems to work fine. Also, it allows much better access to the back of the rad for cleaning the mud off  :lol:

Quote from: "V8_redline7500"
dont use the kenlowe fitting kit that puts the things through the fins o the rad,dads got his mounted of the top n bottom of his rad so it doiesnt knacker it

The Defender V8 kit doesn't mount on the rad. It mounts on the front panel at each end. This is the problem in my view. It vibrates a little and the rad, being rubber mounted also moves. The two parts can move independantly causing the fan shrouds to hit the core.

Anyway, I'll have to wait to see if the fans work in high temperatures without the shrouds.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal