AuthorTopic: Whats it worth?  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Niel

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Whats it worth?
« on: June 23, 2005, 22:28:46 »
SWTSMBO has a friend with a nice (was) gassed LSE classic rangie.
Said friends husband has reversed said LSE HARD (very hard) into a huge concrete bollard and has bent the tail-gate, bumper, rear-cross member/chassis leg, floor and one side as well. The insurance is considering writing it off (its over 10 years old), I know its repairable, but as its "so old" (their words) they don't seem to want to bother.
Any ideas what it'd be worth to a breaker?

What should she/me offer to buy it back?

Niel.

Offline drmike

Attack Member
Whats it worth?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 08:37:08 »
Does it work like that? Don't you just ask what they want for it?

I would hav ethought 200 quid might be acceptable given the damage. It's worthless to the insurer and they may actually incur costs in gatting it taken away.

No chance of asking the engineer who inspecetd it what his valuation was?

Mike

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Re: Whats it worth?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 20:25:05 »
Quote from: "Niel"
SWTSMBO has a friend with a nice (was) gassed LSE classic rangie.
Said friends husband has reversed said LSE HARD (very hard) into a huge concrete bollard and has bent the tail-gate, bumper, rear-cross member/chassis leg, floor and one side as well. The insurance is considering writing it off (its over 10 years old), I know its repairable, but as its "so old" (their words) they don't seem to want to bother.
Any ideas what it'd be worth to a breaker?

What should she/me offer to buy it back?

Niel.

i feel a bowler or v8 special coming on  8)
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Whats it worth?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 13:03:18 »
You're asking what it's salvage value is right?  The trouble is a lot of insurers will hike the price up if they think you really want it back, or they might not want it to stay on the road and not accept an offer/make a ridiculous offer.  If the car is only beyond economic repair then it's something like a cat. c right off so you can re-register it.

You don't really want it written off if you can avoid it though so I would contact the insurance company and tell them what you are planning, ask for a cash in leu of repairs settlement which they should make up to the value of the car minus the salvage.  Watch out though 'cos they will try to stiff you at every turn, cash in leu is always less than the cost of repairs and often the withhold the VAT too.  Insurance is zero VAT registered so they can't claim it back.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
write off
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 12:01:26 »
yes, cash-in-lue is what you need to ask them for, salvage is normally between 20 & 30%, but most are zero after 10 years !, so salvage value will be worth nothing, much cheaper option for them to give you cash -in-lue of repairs,

get a good estimate & then haggle, but they will not take the vat into it as they are not vat registered,

hope this helps,

thanks john.
John.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Whats it worth?
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 14:37:58 »
My Sister's 1988 Fiesta was 'written off' 2 years ago for a wing, they valued it at £300, took off the £100 excess then asked for £75 salvage, cheque for £125.  Not worth insurance really is it?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal