AuthorTopic: Chassis Paint ?..  (Read 7047 times)

Offline muky-kid.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Chassis Paint ?..
« on: June 07, 2005, 21:04:07 »
:? Heres a question for you...

What do you reckon is the best paint to use on the chassis and underbody bits on say a RRC that does see some abuse on Play sites.
I thought about useing Hammerite, but in the past after say 5 to 6 months it started to flake off or simply disapear esspecially under the wheel arhes etc..
Can anyone recomend a good hard wareing paint.
Once paint is applied im thinking of going over the whole underside with some sort of undersealant ?...  :?

Somewere else on the forum BushTuckerMan mentions a marine based product but after looking into it  :shock:  It cost a fortune for the good stuff.

What does everybody else use...  :D

The inside of the chassis is Waxoyled, but needs doing again shortly.
If in first you dont suceed,try second....
If it aint broke, your not trying ard enough....

Regards MIKE.

Protected By PUGWASH The Evil Duck.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 21:18:50 »
I use Hammerite.

Whatever you use, you will need to patch it up regularly if you use the vehicle hard.  5 or 6 months would be normal :-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 21:25:24 »
:D  Cheers Tim, Hammerite it is then. Ill just put a phew coats on rather than 2 - 3 ide done in the past.
Or like you said, just keep topping it up when and were nessasery...  :D

I was just wondering you see before i bye some, if there is or are new products out there that could be better. Thanks anyway.  :wink:

Regards MIKE.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 21:32:24 »
Dunno.. there might be something better... but I drag my chassis over all manner of stuff... so I prefer to use something I can just paint in periodically.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 21:49:26 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Dunno.. there might be something better... but I drag my chassis over all manner of stuff... so I prefer to use something I can just paint in periodically.

Yeah i agree with you Tim, might as well stick with some thing ( product ) i know rather than trying some thing else and find out its no good.

Regards MIKE.

Offline fesuvious

Attack Member
  • water water everywhere, oh sh*t, Iv stalled it
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 07:33:10 »
How about industrial floor paint ?

@£28 for a massive tub and once its dry its bloody hard to shift !!!!

Much Much tougher than Hammerite.
Recommended wading depth 500 inches, no wait, im sure that was milimetres. And let me get this right. The breakover angle is 80 degrees....??

Ahh, f**k it, Il give it a go anyway

Offline Merlin

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 08:20:59 »
I'm looking to do my chassis soon, has anyone tried "industrial floor paint" , it certainly is a lot cheaper than Hammerite but I wonder if it would "take" on a non to clean chassis.
1990 RR Vogue SE 3.9 EFI-Auto

Offline fesuvious

Attack Member
  • water water everywhere, oh sh*t, Iv stalled it
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 14:43:39 »
it sticks to oily floors so I should think it would.....
Recommended wading depth 500 inches, no wait, im sure that was milimetres. And let me get this right. The breakover angle is 80 degrees....??

Ahh, f**k it, Il give it a go anyway

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 00:18:14 »
I prefer a good steam clean followed by Finnegan's body shutz with waxoil, true it comes out of shutz gun so you need a compressor but one can will go a long way, it's flexible like waxoil but thicker and sticks better.   It won't flake or peel like paint does, I'm not a big fan of painting the underneath.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 20:41:20 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
I prefer a good steam clean followed by Finnegan's body shutz with waxoil, true it comes out of shutz gun so you need a compressor but one can will go a long way, it's flexible like waxoil but thicker and sticks better.   It won't flake or peel like paint does, I'm not a big fan of painting the underneath.

:D Hi mate, i was going to do this after ide painted the chassis etc first, then spray this over the paint for extra protection. Do they do a brush on type or is it just a spray on only.  :D

That floor covering paint sounds interesting, but i wonder how easy it would be to remove if i had to do a reapir etc... could be a bit of a b****r to shift, ill keep it in mind though.  :wink:

Regards MIKE.

Offline Hangover

Attack Member
Paint
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 00:02:24 »
Waxoyl any day,save the Hammerite for the lawnmower.

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Re: Paint
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 00:01:22 »
Quote from: "Hangover"

:lol: I dont think my Mother would appreiciate being painted in Hammerite. :lol:

Regards MIKE.

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Re: Paint
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 00:18:25 »
Quote from: "muky-kid."
Quote from: "Hangover"

:lol: I dont think my Mother would appreiciate being painted in Hammerite. :lol:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Trust you :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 00:55:18 »
:? Yeah your right. I should use Waxoyl its more flexible and should preserve the old dear better.  :lol:

Well we cant let the garden get out of hand now can we...  :roll:

Regards MIKE.

v8seriesone

Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 12:49:26 »

:D Hi mate, i was going to do this after ide painted the chassis etc first, then spray this over the paint for extra protection. Do they do a brush on type or is it just a spray on only.  :D

That floor covering paint sounds interesting, but i wonder how easy it would be to remove if i had to do a reapir etc... could be a bit of a b****r to shift, ill keep it in mind though.  :wink:

Bear in mind the waxoyl only prevents rust when it is contact with bare metal - if you have waxoyl over paint, and the paint lifts with a bit of water and a bit of crap underneath, the waxoyl will do b****r all to protect it. I did my series 2 by wire brushing down and then slapping black waxoyl on what was left

my hybrid (tomcat) is getting galvanised

now THAT'S the way to do it properly!!!!

Dom.

Offline rokcrawlin

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 22:25:49 »
Quote from: "v8seriesone"

Bear in mind the waxoyl only prevents rust when it is contact with bare metal - if you have waxoyl over paint, and the paint lifts with a bit of water and a bit of crap underneath, the waxoyl will do b****r all to protect it. I did my series 2 by wire brushing down and then slapping black waxoyl on what was left

my hybrid (tomcat) is getting galvanised

now THAT'S the way to do it properly!!!!

Dom.

havent you lot heard of chassis black they use it on commercial trucks several coats and the mud just drops off it and you can grind it off to weld any repairs you need
everything in the path of life becomes clear when you get the wipers working .....................mmmmm then theres the washer bottle motor DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2005, 23:08:55 »
:D  :D Roclawlin.... Your a star m8. didnt think off that, and i know were to get the stuff from as well.
Ive hammerited the front/rear bumpers and sills... So the rest will be done in Chassis Black and underneith on the floor etc ill use Shultz Waxoyl.  :D

Regards MIKE.

Offline rokcrawlin

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 08:36:12 »
:D  :D Roclawlin.... Your a star m8. didnt think off that, and i know were to get the stuff from as well.
Ive hammerited the front/rear bumpers and sills... So the rest will be done in Chassis Black and underneith on the floor etc ill use Shultz Waxoyl.  :D

hey Mike paint the lot with the chassis black as water wont get behind it and it gives a smooth finish and lessens the grip mud can get
everything in the path of life becomes clear when you get the wipers working .....................mmmmm then theres the washer bottle motor DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Offline muky-kid.

Attack Member
Chassis Paint ?..
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 21:23:42 »
Quote from: "rokcrawlin"

hey Mike paint the lot with the chassis black as water wont get behind it and it gives a smooth finish and lessens the grip mud can get

:D OK Will do. Going to get some this weekend and finnish doing the Rangie underneith... so long as it doesnt rain  :roll:

Regards MIKE.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal