AuthorTopic: Transit 2.5Di engine  (Read 9744 times)

Offline matthew

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Transit 2.5Di engine
« on: January 18, 2004, 02:52:21 »
Hello all

It's on topic 'cos the engine is fitted to my S2a 109".

Last Sunday I ground to a halt, finally today I've had time to investigate and as suspected the cam belt has snapped, luckily it just seems to have broken a couple of rocker arms and bent a couple of push rods. I've got the head off and there doesn't seem to be any marks on the pistons or valves.

Does anybody have any information on these engines?

Like how to get everything lined up for the new belt?
Torque settings?
Tightening order for the head bolts?

Whilst I'm at it, it has a pipe between the exhaust manifold and inlet through a valve type thing, like most modern'ish diesels I've seen. What purpose does this serve? Will it improve or be worse if I blank this off?
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

Transit 2.5Di engine
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 11:31:45 »
WWW.MILNEROFFROAD.COM

THEY R THE  ONE WHO OFFERED THIS CONVERSION THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP

IF U NEED AN ENGINE ITS FROM A TRANSIT 2.5DI THINK THEY START USING IN 86 THEM IN TRANIST FROM 86 ITS IN A MARK 3 ONE

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
Transit 2.5Di engine
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 05:21:46 »
When the belt goes on a transit engine it tends to just bend pushrods and maybe snap a rocker or two. To lock the engine in the timing position - there's a hole just above the starter motor - 11mm drill bit in there and rotate the engine until it sinks into a corresponding hole in the flywheel.
Belt cover off and there's a hole on the cam sprocket (6mm), which lines up with a hole in the casing behind it. Same with the inj pump.
The pipe is exhaust gas recycling.

Les.

Offline S188

Attack Member
Transit 2.5Di engine
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 19:02:29 »
Someone once told me the DI ran a non interfearance valve train (verry odd for a diesel) - I guess they were lieing then!

The exhaust thing is the EGR valve, its to improve imissions slightly at some speeds.  The engine will run atleast as well without it and as you motor is far to old to need to worry about imissions its completely pointless having it - more to go wrong!
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Transit 2.5Di engine
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 01:01:35 »
:roll: This is one from the depths of history, nearly 4 years ago.

For the benefit of anyone else that may have a similar problem in the future, as far as I can remember the only damage was to the rockers and push rods.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal