AuthorTopic: V8 REMOTE OIL FILTERS  (Read 7002 times)

Offline Nugget 4x4

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 REMOTE OIL FILTERS
« on: May 16, 2005, 19:37:29 »
I am going to fit a V8 into a series 2a and have been told I need to fit a remote oil filter , who makes these or where can you buy these from :?
When all the oil has drained out the leak stops.
Disco 300 tdi Commercial
Classic Range Rover
Series 2a soon to have V8 Power

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
V8 REMOTE OIL FILTERS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 20:17:03 »
Merlin Motorsport / Demon Tweeks / most other motorsport suppliers.

They even do a proper pump base for V8s with 2 x 1/2" BSP ports on it, so you can make it all nice and tidy.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline banditman

Attack Member
V8 REMOTE OIL FILTERS
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 19:42:22 »
Mine has a Milner filter flipper doodah on it.............

Steve Parker Landrovers still do em and all you do is take the bottom off the oil pump, bolt on the adaptor in it's place, fasten the oil pump end back onto that and hey presto.....oil filter is upside down to miss the front diff.........

No idea how much they are mind, as mine came in a full Milner kit (or Precision & Conversion, as they are now known!)

Seeya

Martin
Bobby...... V8 Bobtail Classic RR :-)
Harry......Husqvarna TE450 Enduro

Timmy......955i Triumph Speed Triple - now sold :-( why can't we keep all toys??
Billy...'72 Series 3 V8 but now sold :-(
Rueben.......'98 Bandit 1200 now sold :-(
Hang Over.... '87 Classic EFI Rangie (now on'tuther side ot'ill :-(

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
V8 REMOTE OIL FILTERS
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 22:02:32 »
The other option is to get a pump base from a 101, as these have the filter pointing at a different angle.   Trouble is, they aren't very common.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline ukmudmaster

Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
Remote filter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 22:26:01 »
Jake Wright do them, stops the filter getting bashed about by the diff. I f you go for the "upside down" type, make sure you you use a filter with a built in non return valve, as te engine is starved of oil on start up.
Dave
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

Offline Nugget 4x4

Attack Member
V8 REMOTE OIL FILTERS
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 23:20:00 »
No idea how much they are mind, as mine came in a full Milner kit (or Precision & Conversion, as they are now known!)

Seeya

Martin[/quote]
how much does the full kit cost from your supplier 8)
When all the oil has drained out the leak stops.
Disco 300 tdi Commercial
Classic Range Rover
Series 2a soon to have V8 Power

Offline luffy

Attack Member
V8 REMOTE OIL FILTERS
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 15:42:00 »
how much does the full kit cost from your supplier

Conversion & Precisions kit is about £270+Vat and RPI's is about £360+Vat.  The details and list of what's included is on their websites.

The modified oil pump cover for the remote oil filter from the likes of Merlin Motorsport or Think Automotive is about £100.

I got all my bits separately and a lot cheaper second hand but I made up my own engine mounts to the proper dimensions which I managed to obtain.

I also didn't bother with the modified spigot bush but instead used a modified gearbox input shaft.
Andy

Lightly modified '99 Cherokee 4.0L LPG for the mud!
'01 Mercedes SLK 230 for the sun!

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
V8 REMOTE OIL FILTERS
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 15:48:46 »
Quote from: "luffy"
The modified oil pump cover for the remote oil filter from the likes of Merlin Motorsport or Think Automotive is about £100.

Another alternative is to get a take-off plate instead of the pump cover.  These screw on to where the filter goes with a couple of side-facing ports for the hoses to the remote head.

These can be had for around 25 quid from the motorsport people, with the remote filter head being around 15 quid.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline luffy

Attack Member
V8 REMOTE OIL FILTERS
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 00:51:49 »
Another alternative is to get a take-off plate instead of the pump cover. These screw on to where the filter goes with a couple of side-facing ports for the hoses to the remote head

That's what I've used but I've no idea where to get them from as mine was second-hand.  It's very similar to the replacement pump cover but is just an aluminium block rather than the fancy cast cover.  I guess it's probably cheaper to buy as well  :)

The sandwich/take-off plates that replace just the oil filter are no good as they stick off the pump too far.

Some people have also been known to use a Renault 5 oil fiter which is very short, screwed onto the original oil pump but again you run the risk of hitting it with the diff.

I think that the only way to be sure that the diff isn't going to hit the oil filter is to use a replacement pump cover of some sort, a FC101 pump assembly or the angled adapter that C & P supply in their kit.
Andy

Lightly modified '99 Cherokee 4.0L LPG for the mud!
'01 Mercedes SLK 230 for the sun!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal