AuthorTopic: Sunday Shopping  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Sunday Shopping
« on: May 15, 2005, 21:58:15 »
I got taken to Meadowhell this morning, well I drove there in the 'works van'

For the southerners, it's a 'shopping mall' in Sheffield (by the side of the M1 at jct 34)

After the initial reasons for SWMBO wanting to go, we ended up in the basement levels, where I photographed the 'Teemers'

Upon getting into what appears to be called 'The Lanes' theres' some good shops

1. Collectors Choice.
Full of superb die-casts, loads of 1.18thscale. I almost bought 2, they had a 1978 Pontiac Trans-Am, boxed up as the 'Bandit' car & a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T (as per Vanishing Point')
Link 1
Link 2

2. F1 Shop(?) Not interested in the slightest in F1, but they had some great Superbike stuff & a very nice 'Bullitt' print.
If you remember in the film, the baddies in the black Charger lose sight of McQueens Mustang & it just appears in their mirror over a crest, well there was a painting of that  - be great in my 'Snug' or the bar :D

3. A celebrity (autographed) photo shop. Quite apart from the Carl Fogarty stuff, there was a nice Caprice :D  :D
poster (she was just wearing some strips of black tape :D ) & it was about 3x2feet.
SWMBO wouldn't let me buy it :cry:
She said it was embarrassing watching me on my knees begging her :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

4. 'Last Picture Show' a sci-fi/fantasy movie store. Lots of wonderful stuff, but sadly didn't get chance for a proper look
Web-site

5. Waterstones. Found a few books I thought were out of print, including the wonderful HP Lovecraft novels (far superior to anything Stephen King has written)

To top it all I tried to find the Churchill tank that was shown on Fred Dibnah a few episodes ago, but the multi-map was wrongly marked (on returning home & checking)
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Sunday Shopping
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 00:56:33 »
Collectors choice, home from home.  You should see my 'office'.  Put it this way, it looks like a 1/50th replica of Sunday afternoon.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Sunday Shopping
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 11:12:57 »
Not got much myself Andrew, just the 1/18th General Lee, a 110CSW (just don't ask Andy about that one :lol:  :wink: ), and there's 4 (5?) Pewter  LR's in the bar.

Some very nice Ducati 916/998's models in the collectables shop as well

I did see in a shop (in Wakefield) as i was walkign past a pewter AVRoe Vulcan that was about 18"long.  Now I really fancied that
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Sunday Shopping
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 11:14:12 »
Doh!!

Forgot.

Do you know where the Churchill is Andy?, as searching seem to throw varying locations
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Sunday Shopping
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 14:19:32 »
Ah Vulcan, you'd need to talk to Julie about that :)

As for the Churchill, I presume you mean the one in the trading estate built on the site of the old tank factory, Chapeltown.

Ok, heading North on the M1 take J35a (you can't take this heading south), go to the 1st roundabout, turn left.  As you head down the hill it's on your right, but it's not as big as you'd think so easy to miss.

Heading south take J36, turn right to Sheffield, at the next roundabout (Tankersley) with A MuckDonalds turn Left.  At the next roundabout turn right.

Tankersley was the location for Midland bank's nuclear bomb proof bunker where the computers were kept, apparantly built in an old mine shaft it has several storys underground, I think the air system can still be seen above the trees but I don't know who owns it now.  Bit of an urban legand that place.

Anyway, for those who don't know this Churchill tank was recently featured in Fred Dibnah's TV series when he visited Shefield.

PS if you're interested ther'es a steam rally at Barlborouogh the last weekend this month, it's a stone's throw from J30 M1
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Sunday Shopping
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 16:23:33 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Ah Vulcan, you'd need to talk to Julie about that :)
Go on enlighten me. I am talking air-craft, not 'Star-Trek' :wink:

As for the Churchill, I presume you mean the one in the trading estate built on the site of the old tank factory, Chapeltown.

I presume so, as we've both stated, it's the one in Freds programme.

I know where the McDonalds is as I go that way (A61)  to Towsure (& the TVR dealer on Herries Road )

Tankersley was the location for Midland bank's nuclear bomb proof bunker where the computers were kept, apparantly built in an old mine shaft it has several storys underground, I think the air system can still be seen above the trees but I don't know who owns it now.  Bit of an urban legand that place.
Not heard about that :?

PS if you're interested ther'es a steam rally at Barlborouogh the last weekend this month, it's a stone's throw from J30 M1

I'll see if I can find a link, but it's Nostell Priory on Bank Holiday weekend

ONCA Steam & Vintage Rally.
Slavley Lane
Chesterfield Road
Barlborough
Chesterfield
on this page, in the appropriate months entry
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Sunday Shopping
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 13:35:52 »

I've been this morning, very easy to find after leaving Tankersley roundabout.
Took some photos, on this page, plus the 'Teemers' from Meadowhell

Anyway, for those who don't know this Churchill tank was recently featured in Fred Dibnah's TV series when he visited Shefield

Yes, I could still see him pulling up on the Convertible.

Found a nice little lane at Deepcar as well, nice final section in a hollow-way as well, called Common Lane/ Bank Lane (running around Allman Well Hill)
Photos on the 'My Discovery' page

Multi-Map
Richard A Thackeray 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal