AuthorTopic: Petrol S3 and Esso Energy fuel  (Read 5442 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Petrol S3 and Esso Energy fuel
« on: May 12, 2005, 12:29:31 »
I have just put in my petrol S3 Esso Energy fuel and I am amazed on how much of a difference it has made.

I don't know if it is cycological or not and if anyone else has put either Shell Optimax in or the Esso Energy fuel into their S3 and if it made a difference to there Landies?

Also does it do the engine any good?

Interested to hear what you think
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Trouble

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 12:26:39 »
hmn I've never really put good fuel in a landrover tbh,

used to put optimax in the rs think it made a bit of difference but with a compersion ratio of 11-1 it needs good fuel.

If i remember right a landrover has a compresion ratio of about 7-1?

It might make a difference?

Its proabaly a bit better for your engine but its a landrover engine there very basic and not fussy about fuel.

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 13:24:12 »
Parafin, Petrol, probably ground up ducks, a decent 2.25 will run on just about anything, there is of course some measure of how well it will run.  The newer fuel types are of course higher octane, and when trying to tune Petro (way back in the day) you come to the conclusion that it's not designed for the later fuel types, since I think it only goes as high as 85 octane, and super unleaded is around 97 :)  Still,  the better fuel types will likely give you more grunt at little change to your MPG, the only qualm I had was whether the head could take it, since it's not leaded (so there may be some seat damage) and presumably it will also run hotter..

Still, I never had much trouble, and the 2.25 is practically indestructable, so you should be fine.

how much of the "difference" is a placebo effect we may never know, but even if it is, if it keeps you happy who are you to argue ?
--

Offline ukmudmaster

Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
fuel
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 17:22:50 »
Glad I put cheapo petrol in my 88", just split the seam and lost the lot!
anyone got a spare tank?
Dave
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

Trouble

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 18:53:17 »
nop:(

You can buy them new for about 50 quid I think, they are better as well due to them being 2 pressed halfs then welded round the edge horizontally.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 18:52:26 »
I need to change my tank too as I bent the bracket on the front last weekend and also it leeks along one of the seems.

I have been to a restoration project these last 2 days and I was pulling out concrete fence posts (80 ish to be approx) and yes it did run warm yesterday but the fan belt was twisted after I de twisted it, it ran on N again. The restoration was 35 miles away and I used quarter of a tank of fuel both ways and a quarter whilst I was there. MMM expensive weekend in fuel!

I don't understand fuel octanes so put the cheepest in but never put supermarket fuel in as I want all fuel and not cleaning stuff!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal