AuthorTopic: Gearbox noise  (Read 6564 times)

Offline scooby

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Gearbox noise
« on: May 10, 2005, 09:24:27 »
I was taking the kids to school today in the td5 and had a bad noise from gearbox when pedal pressed down, Sounds like thrust bearing noise, are the td5 like must of the old trucks cars etc like suffer with noisey thrust bearings. Are should it have a new clutch kit fitted.
Marc and Annie
----------------
http://Http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/scooby/
defender and disco owner.
name of defender-betty boop

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Gearbox noise
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:07:14 »
What sort of noise?  I get a whine from my transmission at about 60+, usually worse on over-run, but I'm fairly sure this is a prop UJ complaining about the suspension lift.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline scooby

Attack Member
Gearbox noise
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:22:52 »
Quote from: "thermidorthelobster"
What sort of noise?  I get a whine from my transmission at about 60+, usually worse on over-run, but I'm fairly sure this is a prop UJ complaining about the suspension lift.

its that sort of bearing noise, only happens when foot is pressing down on clutch padel when betty boop is not in gear. ok when in drive no nosie at all apart from useing the padel.
Marc and Annie
----------------

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Gearbox noise
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 12:25:48 »
Sounds like a clutch release bearing to me...  

David, whining on overrun is often a sign of gearbox / transfer box wear.  Most Land Rovers do it as they age to be honest.   Propshaft noise would usually be a rumbling rather than a whining.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline scooby

Attack Member
Gearbox noise
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:29:51 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Sounds like a clutch release bearing to me...  

David, whining on overrun is often a sign of gearbox / transfer box wear.  Most Land Rovers do it as they age to be honest.   Propshaft noise would usually be a rumbling rather than a whining.

just whent out in it again to pick up one of the kids from school and the nosie has gone. wife whent out in it for about 20 mins aswell. So if you have any clues can you let me know. Is it worth changeing the oils in the gearbox and transfer box. it was cold first thing today. but has only started today. It's only done 20,000 miles.
Marc and Annie
----------------

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Gearbox noise
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 12:33:23 »
Sounds about right... I've head bearings do that.  Some times it rattles and other times it doesn't.

Assuming it is the release bearing, it is isolated from the gearbox, so the oils, etc. won't have any effect on it.

As I say, assuming it is the release bearing, I wouldn't worry too much... the noise will come and go and one day it will probably fail.  Depends how keep you are to change it.  

Once you have gone to the effort of splitting the engine and gearbox apart, it is worth (IMHO) replacing the clutch assembly too, so the longer you can leave it, the better in many respects.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline scooby

Attack Member
Gearbox noise
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 12:36:42 »
The thing is tim its towing a caravan aswell about 5-10 times ayear already have a disco off the road dew to clutch going on me.
Marc and Annie
----------------

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal