AuthorTopic: Chassis welding  (Read 6308 times)

Offline hobbit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Chassis welding
« on: May 08, 2005, 16:07:25 »
Here's what to watch out for when welding the chassis on the drivers side, remember the loom passes through the chassis from the wheel arch next to the brake pipe union distribution point on (my l/w) to the top of the chassis after the rear spring hanger.
Any welding done on this section may well result in this problem

This is what I found when i pulled the loom out, believe it or not the wiring was still working ok on all lights :?

Don't know if the defender has the same layout with the loom or not.
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Re: Chassis welding
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 22:28:10 »
Quote from: "hobbit"
This is what I found when i pulled the loom out, believe it or not the wiring was still working ok on all lights

:shock: Get away!  :shock:
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Chassis welding
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 22:47:01 »
Couldn't believe it myself, when I rewired all the back lights back onto military sockets, every thing checked out no cross flashing or anything, today I pulled this out of the chassis, somebody previous to me did the damage.
At the moment dragged the wiring back to the engine compartment, fitting a waterproof junction box near the servo, and new loom wiring down to the rear via roll cage and tub capping. Gonna finish the job hopefully tomorrow, every time I went outside to do something, within 10 minutes it rained again :cry:
Kev

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Chassis welding
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 22:47:20 »
Couldn't believe it myself, when I rewired all the back lights back onto military sockets last year, every thing checked out no cross flashing or anything, today I pulled this out of the chassis, somebody previous to me did the damage.
At the moment dragged the wiring back to the engine compartment, fitting a waterproof junction box near the servo, and new loom wiring down to the rear via roll cage and tub capping. Gonna finish the job hopefully tomorrow, every time I went outside to do something, within 10 minutes it rained again :cry:
Kev

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Chassis welding
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 23:18:12 »
^^^^ so surprised u said it twice kev^^^^ :lol:  :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Chassis welding
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 00:21:40 »
I'm afraid I don't believe you, since basically I'm having troubles believing it was working fine in the first place :), it's a series motor :)
--

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Chassis welding
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 03:12:28 »
Quote from: "datalas"
it's a series motor :)

Bloomin' turn coat.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Chassis welding
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 10:43:56 »
Sorry about the double post, cant delete it at the mo.

Looking at the loom, the cables were fused together from the outside, so they stayed in situ, and held themself apart, I think when I pulled the loom through the chassis they bent and split.

When I put the new back lights in this was half way down the inside of the chassis. I just tagged onto what was left of the old wiring, they cables out of the chassis passed through a connector block and a second lot of added bullet connectors at the chassis.
its passed 2 mots like that, so I was just lucky.

The thing is with welding, you can weld ok, but must know what is the around the there, unless you realise there is wiring behind where you are working. The only time you might realise is when you get pulled for no rear lights, or a blown fuse

Bad Idea I suppose, but looked good at the time of manufacturer, saves on clipping, the wires were even wrapped in fabric meshing still.

The good news is that the actual wiring being inside the chassis is that in front of the melting the cables are in perfect condition, no blacking or nothing.
Kev

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal