AuthorTopic: 1998 'R' Discovery 300tdi. Cobar Blue 3dr, Tax/MOT. Recent substantial overhaul  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Tulpy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Very Short Version:
1998 ‘R’ Land Rover Discovery, 3 door in Cobar Blue. MOT and Tax until 06/13. £1250 ono

The Short Version:
Taxed until the end of June 2013, MOT until 4th July 2013. Modulars, BFG Tyres, Recent full service and plenty of other bits.

Car has just shy of 152k on the clock, understood to be genuine from MOT history. I’m looking for offers around £1250. It would be a shame for this Discovery to be used a donor vehicle for its engine, gearbox and axles into a defender project, but to the best of my knowledge these parts alone are worth 700-800 quid.

Car is based in Chesterfield, but occasionally driven to Sheffield. Welcome to view any time and will stand up to any inspection. Please message me through here, email me on contact@danieltulp.co.uk, or call or text me on 07786 546976. In office hours I’d prefer a text as I can back to you sooner.

Please see below for as much detail as I can give. I’d be happy to answer any further questions. I believe in being an honest seller and not wishing to hide anything from a prospective purchaser.

The Long-Winded Details:
1998 means this car benefits from having the much loved 300tdi land rover engine. My car has done 152,000 miles and runs incredibly well for its age and mileage. As you will probably see from my previous posts I bought the car having failed its MOT on a number of rust and mechanical related issues. The rust had got into all the common places, sills, front and rear wheel arches and near the seat belt anchorages. The mechanical issues related to an oil leak, corroded rear brakes and brake lines (The line which caused the failure was replaced by the MOT test station). The Discovery also benefits from a tow bar and electrics, although I don’t know how well these perform.

The rust was repaired by cutting out the failed steel and replacing with new welded sections. This was then treated with a combination of stonechip and metal paints. The oil leak appeared to be something fairly common with this engine, it was only an occasional dribble, but having given the car a complete service, with new air/fuel/oil filters, a complete oil change, coolant flush and power steering fluid replacement, I’m not getting any more of the telltale marks on the drive! Diff Oil and Gearbox oil have been checked for level and are fine. (Rear diff needed a top-up following rear disc replacement)

Prior to my ownership, which commenced in March last year, the car had been treated to a new centre exhaust section and a new battery and alternator. It has also had a reconditioned Gearbox fitted around 50k miles ago (With Receipts). Since getting the MOT’d and car back on the road, I have replace all 5 wheels with a set of 16in Modulars and 225/75 BFG Trac-Edge Tyres. These all still have plenty of tread and hold the air very well. I have replaced the OSF rigid brake line due to corrosion and bled the entire system with new fluid. This was done in conjunction with a complete rear brake replacement of discs/pads/bleed nipples. Also changed are the side repeaters, these had gone cloudy and the Headlight bulbs have been upgraded. The front bumper has been trimmed slightly to improve its approach angle. This was done by cutting the end caps and removing the valance.

Unfortunately my car had spent some of its earlier life moving a horsebox around a number of farms and muddy fields. Some corrosion had started to attacks a number of sections of the body. To remedy this I had the unmistakable bubbles of corrosion sanded back and painted with the recommended Special Metals Primer. This halted the corrosion but unfortunately this primer is pink. I had the pink painted over with the original Cobar Blue, but I was not at all happy with the finish. Rather than pay an astronomical amount of money to have the car professionally finished and painted I chose to have the lower section of the car vinyl wrapped in Onyx Black and have had the remaining paintwork on display machine polished. The result is a one off Discovery that is very pleasing to behold. If the look of the half black/half blue isn’t for you, the wrap can be removed without damage.

On the inside the interior is all in good condition with some expected wear on the driver’s seat. If I was keeping the car I would remove the cover and have an original spec fitted. The car benefits from a recently installed CD Stereo with aux in and upgraded rear speakers (same size as factory units so no cutting into trim pieces). In the boot are a fitted plastic liner and a load cover.

All in all this is a very good Land Rover, honest in its condition and looks very good for its age and mileage. The steering is solid, unlike some Land Rovers, and in the recent spate of Poor weather this car coped very well indeed, not getting stuck in anything mother nature could throw at it. Of course after 15 years and 150,000 miles a car like this is going to have some related marks, I’ve got photos of these, but there is nothing too bad at all.

Pictures to follow (once I get them on Photobucket and sort out the links)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal