AuthorTopic: Help to pick a new vehicle....  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Matt_H

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help to pick a new vehicle....
« on: May 13, 2012, 21:09:11 »
Wotcha!  After 4 years absence I'm back... well I will be, but I dont know where to start.  I've now got kids (well one 2 year old girl).  I'm trying to work out what to get.  Which is where I need you the lovely guys n girls of mudclub to give me some idea.

I doubt anyone remembers my previous trucks, although I did sell my last one to someone on here so you never know (should still be in the sig block).  I've been a Land Rover owner in the past, 110, disco and 90.  All modified to silly levels, all got seriously broken throughout the years.  I don't think land rovers themselves are particularly worse at breaking than anything else but I did have old ones and I did 'sily' things with them.

So I am talking to the Mrs tonight, what we like doing and how we aren't sit in front of the TV types.  I want to learn to shoot.. Well that's kind of me on my own... Computer racing games, again on my own.  Reading - that's her on her own.  We recall fondly a particular trip to wales, she get's the great views, I get the adrenalin.  So we are sort of in agreement we should get an off roader again.

I'm now working too many hours and really don't want to be lying under my car on a regular basis.  However at this stage I probably won't be doing anything really silly with it, although I know what I'm like, it won't be long.....

However above all else it must have at least 3 seats, if not more for if/when sprog #2 arrives.  We quite like the idea of using it to go away on an adventure for a few long weekends, so needs to have room for away gear (cant commit to real manly camping yet, I'm too much of a wuss ((actually cronic back issues)).

I don't care what it looks like.  It must be somewhat reliable and bits should not fall off when it touches a grassy lane.  Fuel consumption is of no interest. Servicing and maintenance should be cheap as poss.  Off road ability as good as poss.  Idealy something with a rear diff lock / auto lock or decent TC.  I'll chuck on some mud tyres and not much else.  Some load space would be good.

Budget, as little as possible!  This wil be a car that for the majority of the time won't move. It will have two uses, pleasure trips and load lugging.  The load lugging will be often in woodlands as a I'm a volunteer tree surgeon in the local area, I've a small amount of chain saw gear, but often bring back a few 10 KG of wood as well.

I'm of course erring towards a land rover, not had a rangie yet so maybe that's it.  However for some reason I'm thinking that all 'rovers are a little bit too fragile.  People rave that various toyota's are unbreakable (no idea which one to even consider).  However I suspect it's a little like the arguments I used to have as a kid "Atari is better than Amiga", the real truth is we argued that what we personaly owned was the best.  I suspect cars are a bit like that too.

So one mate has a 6x6 pinzgauer which is head turning, unique, unstoppable (almost) and so on.. However I don't have at least

Offline lambert

Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
Re: Help to pick a new vehicle....
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 21:28:15 »
Land rovers only break if you hurt them same as anything else. The big advantage being parts are stupidly easy to obtain and quality parts are not too dear. A friend has an 80 series cruiser which never breaks apart from when the rear locker pitches a fit and won't release and another mate has a disco 3 that can drive to the main dealer on its own its there that often. As to which, only get a 90 if you have no choice they are too small for family use. A 110 is ideal if it has to work and play.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 23:07:03 »
110 was also on my list, but seemed too obvious. In standard trim they're pretty good IMHO.  A rear locker and hand winch should see it get out of any bother I'm likley to get in to on my own... maybe...

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 00:16:32 »
 Sound s to me as though your in the market for a twincab pickup of some sort ive had Hi/lux ,and have presently a L200,have driven the Ford Ranger and was impressed  had loads of Landys of all shapes and sizes they are the best offroad truck bar none but i only drive lanes so have no need for a landys ability , twincabs have it all for me can be plushy inside to use as family car but tough enough for work and laning etc, try one you never know! ,good to have you back,
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 13:20:36 »
twin cab, check...
pickup - check (well must have a cover over as I'm not leaving chainsaw gear unlocked.

I was kinda hoping someone would share some (cheap) hidden gem of a truck that ticks all boxes and has all the electronic traction toys (that actually work), however i think I'm kidding myself.  At least I know that I can strip a landy if I really need to.

Pajero?  Everyone I ever met who had one, raves how good they are and can do everything a Landy can.

Landy also somehow looks at home in the woods, a shiny L200, well probably does as well these days, I've seen enough commercial arb guys using them.

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 13:40:02 »
and I still keep coming back to the idea that somehow a P38 would be a good idea.

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 13:42:18 »
Think you need to check out the pickup features that a lot of them have -they have (lifestyle models) with leather and all the other toys +workers with retracting lockable rear covers with ironman locking toolboxes built in,some have cruise/control,traction /control,most have ABS, hi/lo boxes with diff/lock at the push of a button also there are loads of companys making winch bumpers air lockers etc, they have in many ways kicked Landys into touch just look at what the utillity companies use ,mine is used as a family car,taking 5 dogs out,my shooting days ,and my pest control work does the lot in comfort and with enough power for decent motorway driving ,cant take the knocks that a Defender can or tow as much but do most things well, im considering a newish Ford Ranger as they have caught up with the Jap stuff and have better turning circle than the rest the L200 Navara etc all have huge turning circles can be a pain and make you look a naff driver, :rolleyes: :grin:

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 13:50:06 »
and I still keep coming back to the idea that somehow a P38 would be a good idea.

I have a Derv P38 and would not have another! everyone told me not to get one but i ingored them and wish i didnt its 6k of probs most electrikery sometimes seems every fault light on the dash is on had it in main stealers its been reset 3 times and had 2 lots of airbags and a pump before i went to springs, fed up with it and at the moment its just a garden ornament,its on its way sooner than later, :evil:

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 18:39:23 »
buy a sensible family car and use the money you save to take family on self drive 4x4 adventure experience trips instead to get it out of your system.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 21:18:42 »
If you are not working it that much then I would agree with land rodger and go jap pickup. We looked long and hard at a rodeo but ultimately for farming it has to be a 90 cos of size maneuverability and tow capacity. If it were just a personal toy then comfort outweighs outright ability in harsh terrain.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline Welshbreed

Attack Member
  • Motorsport Service & Repair Level 3 Technician
    • @MrSmeeZus
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 01:25:41 »
200tdi double cab defender, with diff-lockers and a Ivor Willliams canopy for the back. seats 4, luggage space, possibility of a roof tent, work horse.

PS...Good luck finding one.

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 20:14:38 »
200tdi double cab defender, with diff-lockers and a Ivor Willliams canopy for the back. seats 4, luggage space, possibility of a roof tent, work horse.

Same old same old ,naff heaters,no aircon, noisey,uncomfortable,not exactly young baby /family orientated.+ points its a Landrover,hardworking,towing capacity, cheap parts.  i guess you makes your choice and live by it, :rolleyes:

PS...Good luck finding one.

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 19:32:55 »
twin cab, check...
pickup - check (well must have a cover over as I'm not leaving chainsaw gear unlocked.

I was kinda hoping someone would share some (cheap) hidden gem of a truck that ticks all boxes and has all the electronic traction toys (that actually work), however i think I'm kidding myself.  At least I know that I can strip a landy if I really need to.

Pajero?  Everyone I ever met who had one, raves how good they are and can do everything a Landy can.

Landy also somehow looks at home in the woods, a shiny L200, well probably does as well these days, I've seen enough commercial arb guys using them.

Of the few non land rovers I have working experience of they have without fail made hard work of terrain the land rover barely notices, though that could  easily be driver experience.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 21:10:14 »
Your  spot on there Lambert  in fact i sold a standard 90 only had BFG muds as i thought that most offroad challenges were just a doddle in the 90 and was getting bored as it just seemed pointless,bought a Pajero same again standard with BFG muds and quickly found out what a struggle the rest had been having mostly down to the Paj bellying out time after time,sold that bought a Zuk SJ and it was all a ok again sold it next Diahatsu 4 track not bad but the rear spring shackles would dig in without fail, so back to a 90 and put the tow rope back in its storage box again, IMHO The Defender is the best out of the box 4x4 bar none. :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal