AuthorTopic: fao boss an others who get welding.  (Read 1041 times)

Offline lambert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
  • Referrals: 0
fao boss an others who get welding.
« on: January 16, 2012, 20:23:46 »
You are a clever chap. Need some advice about welders and generators. I have a cheapo arc set 40 to 160 amp. I'm looking to get a 6.5 kva gen that the man in the shop says will happily run 100amp. So if I set my arc ay at say 80amp for 2.5mm rods will that be drawing 80 or would the gen still see the load as 160amp if you see what I mean. I don't want to get a gen and then find the welders too heavy for it.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: fao boss an others who get welding.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:46:30 »
The compliance plate on the welder should give you an idea of the max input amp draw for the machine. But think about what your asking there dude... a cheapo arc welder around 150amp output that runs on domestic supply.... but still using a ............13amp plug socket......... :blank:
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:40:29 »
Ok.

I have a 2.7kva gen that will just run my baby MIG on min. It will not however run the arc on 60 amp, it can't spike high enough. This is fine. My research finds that arcs need about a 3 times spark like motors. 160 amp runs at about 4kw ish so would need about 12kw spike. All I went to know is if I turn the wick down to half can I expect the same reduction in spike load. I can't afford to buy 800quid on a gen that will not do what I want.
Lambert Coverdale.

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 19:01:05 »
what the others say is sound. A run of the mill gennie wont sustain a smooth current draw to produce a nice weld. If you just wanted to blob stuff together in the field or oon site i surgest a ready welder that you clamp onto your battery termenals. You can do that with arc rods but i think something else needs to be done. Iirc there is a video of "rouge vouge on the rocks" on youtube where they use an arc welder in conjunction with a defender. The only welders ive seen used with a geni have the gens built into them.hth boss

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline lambert

Attack Member
    • harrogate
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 20:23:53 »
Ok cheers. Further info suggests that the load I set is the load the gen will see. For the odd bits of new fab I do this means 80amp will do and the gen will be up to it. That said 80amp will melt the vast majority of the rotten worm eaten rust I find myself obliged to try and turn back into service ad gates. I think though I will try for a demo with my kit before I buy, that way I'm sure.
Lambert Coverdale.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal