AuthorTopic: landrover 300tdi cold heaters need to no how to bleed water system  (Read 9119 times)

Offline v8 hog

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hi every one I have a,discovery 300 tdi today driving to work the heater went Cold but car didn't over heat and still drives fine might need bleed how do you bleed thanks Ashley

Offline trecfive

Attack Member
  • If it fit's the hook it'll pull it.
    • Nuneaton
Re: landrover 300tdi cold heaters need to no how to bleed water system
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 21:50:29 »
If your heater has gone cold you are low on water in the top of the engine,dont rely on the header tank because its up to the mark.

Remove the bung in the radiator,remove the filler cap on the header tank, fill with coolant till it comes out of the radiator hole, replace bung,fill header tank just above the mark you can see in the filler hole,replace the filler cap,on top of the thermostate housing there is another bung (the same as the radiator)remove and fill with coolant,squeeze the top hose a few times to get any air to the top repeat fill and squeeze a few times till you cannot get any more coolant in,squeeze top hose and replace the top bung at the same time,turn the heater controls to the hottest setting and start the engine,it should bleed itself, check for leaks and take for a run till it's hot.

If you are loosing coolant slowly over a period of time get the "P" gasket changed as this allowes you to loose water very slowly.300tdi's over heat without it showing on the gauge,no water around the senser no hot reading.

I hope this helps,if i've forgotten something,some one else will fill the gaps.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 21:59:40 by trecfive »
1. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash
2. Range Rover Classic 300tdi SE Auto Softdash, apparently very rare.

Offline v8 hog

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 22:01:57 »
Ok mate ill gve it a try in the morning Jst hope it Nt headgasket

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 21:00:50 »

300tdi's over heat without it showing on the gauge,no water around the senser no hot reading.

aye, it goes up and goes back to normal in a space of a few seconds, next thing you know... the turbo is getting alloy plated in liquid piston :cheesy:
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
I just fill mine up at the thermostat housing (and if anything the RRC 300TDi is worse, the header tank is even lower) the system should self-bleed from there but I agree you need to check you aren't loosing water as the air bubble can collect in the header outlet or the thermostat.

As for temp gauges it's always worth remembering that it won't show the water is getting too hot if there is no water on the sender!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:42:34 by Range Rover Blues »
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

mattyme

also if youre having trouble bleeding the cooling system try parking your truck on a hill facing upwards, as steep as you can find and bleed as described above. any airlock should come to the front of the truck as its the highest point...

mattyme

it may be worth replacing the stat too...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal