AuthorTopic: V8 blow job...  (Read 2020 times)

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 blow job...
« on: October 16, 2011, 16:36:23 »
Right I'm a tdi guy but I got me a V8...lol (10 bolt 3.9 1996 efi)

A few days ago I thought the exhaust was blowing but on inspection it's the head gasket..

it's not a bad blow , it's on the second cylinder back from the front of the engine drivers side. and is blowing just below the exhaust manifold. ( a small phutt) there has been no coolant loss and not overheating . the coolant is not pressurized and there is no water in the oil. and only blows when under load so I think I've been lucky....
(Though some may say otherwise)..lol

I've stripped all the top off the valley so All I have left to do is the head, my Question is , can I just undo the bolts on the head and lift it off swap the gasket and pop it back on or do I need to strip the head , ie. can I get it off and on again without disturbing the rockers.?? (Obviously I will be checking the head when it's off for an uneven surface or the need for skimming)

And on refitting will the push rods just pop back up through the new seals and then I just bolt it all down again?? or will I need to remove the rocker assembly, I am short on time and need to get it done quick and easy with the minimum amount of work..

I've never worked on this type of engine before it's always been tdi or OHC so be gentle with me..lol

tips, tricks and advice welcome.. :cheesy:
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Re: V8 blow job...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 18:33:39 »
First tip....

when borrowing a 16mm socket from a welder mate next door to remove the head bolts..

Make sure it's not made of chocolate covered in tin foil..... they don't last.. in fact they just explode straight away..
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Brian the Sn@il

Attack Member
  • Lets off road
    • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 21:44:06 »
i had a V8 rangie last year a 3.9 as well EFi, at blowed from the Exhaust manifold,  i took off the manifold and fitted new gasgets and it still blowed !!! it wasnt bad just a small blow, but it drove me mad.
Jeep Grand Cherokie V6 2006
1994 EX MOD 110 Defender

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 19:55:45 »
The 10 bolt might be stretch bolts and a composite gasket, I'd sugggest checking the bolts, they might need replacing and a skim on the head.  you can leave the valves in though a regrind is worth doing but take the rockers off for the refacing.

The pushrods should sort themselves out provided you don't have too much skimmed off.

i can do both in 2 good afternoons including a littl ebit of porting.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 22:40:26 »
I was right the gasket had just got old and had started to break down just below the exhaust port second cylinder back from the front drivers side.. it was a very small amount of leaking exhaust gas..

I stripped it and cleaned the head and block surfaces then checked the block with a ground plate it was nice and flat so I just refitted it with new bolts and gaskets..

All working well  :cheesy:

I used a tip I found on the net . I tightened the bolts to the specified torque then using a white tyre marker I put a line on the bolts in line with the engine.then turned them 90 degrees so the lines were across the engine then again so they were back inline.. worked well..

Hard work with a duff shoulder though..lol
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal