• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • and then as if by magic
    • harrogate
  • Referrals: 0
scam?
« on: September 08, 2011, 18:12:24 »
Hi all this does not relate to this site. Whilst on another forum I asked about paint codes for the defender.a day later I got a pm from someone claiming to work for lr customer services wanting vin and reg. Ok fair do, now they want a copy of my v5 , for a paint code!?! Is this legitimate.
Lambert Coverdale.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Two and a half litres of turbocharged diesel goodness.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: scam?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 18:41:24 »
smells like grimbsy docks to me.

Lr customers services would know your VIN from a Reg number or vice versa, no reason to ask for both (correct reg might not be on microcat if it wasn't registered for long time after leaving factory), colour codes might not always be on microcat either and there's nothing else that they could use afaik. Your V5 doesn't give naf fall info past basic colour  surely.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 22:03:41 »
the info on the v5 would show your address and name plus the reg and vin numbers..

don't really know but could they get a Key from the dealer with that info.. dofo sounds a bit shady
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline YT

Attack Member
    • Medway
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:03:10 »
I know some places want to see the V5 for making up reg plates, but never paint codes. sounds well dodgy.
Jeep Cherokee Limited. 4.0l auto.
5" lift, steering garud, 235x15 MT's, bush wires, roof lights.
It's NOT stuck,,,,,, just badly parked !

Offline landmannnn

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:46:41 »
Simples.  They get your V5 details, change the address, then sell a stolen vehicle with your reg.

Complete scam.

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 17:52:48 »
There's no reason anyone would need a copy of your V5C other than to confirm that you are the registered keeper (not owner) of the vehicle.

For paint codes, there's the chassis number and probably even a 'paint code' on the VIN plate that they can use - I would ask them straight out why they need your V5C. And have a look at their forum profile to see what they've been posting about - if they haven't posted anything, it looks even more suspicious.

And it might be worth contacting the real Land Rover customer services department with details of the forum and user name to let them know someone is attempting to impersonate them (or you might find out that it really is them!).

They could be trying to re-register the vehicle with them so they have a 'real' V5C for a cloned car, or to make up a set of registration plates (although you can just nip over the border to Scotland to get them made - or do mail-order as they don't have the same rules).

HTH  :azn:
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

Offline zebidee

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 20:40:52 »
... although you can just nip over the border to Scotland to get them made ...

not sure what you're meaning but up here you still need your V5 and proof of ID to get your plates made up.
----
Discovery 3 TDV6 XS
Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal