AuthorTopic: disco auto cuts out for hour when gear box over worked help  (Read 986 times)

Offline chaosego

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
hi i have a p-reg auto disco jap import and if the gearbox is worked hard it will not start and have to wait for an hour then will re-start. it is a bit annoying does any one have a cure for this problem please. thanks in advance glyn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTqfi7Kk9S8

YEE- HAA!!

standard hight scorpion springs
PRO COMP SHOCKS.
EGR BLANKETY BLANK.
CAMEL CUT.
GREY MODULARS 255/70/15 COLWAY aTS.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: disco auto cuts out for hour when gear box over worked help
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 19:55:55 »
I'd be worried about the overheating gearbox firstly.  You can fit an extra oil cooler into the pipework at the front end, mine has a Kenlowe under the front chassis rail (it's a RRC) to help when towing.

There is an overheat switch/sensor in my pipework behind the radiator, a swine to get to, that does the warning light and another switch on the transfer box behind the handbrake backplate when looking forwards.

Possibly the selector switch is also faulty as this has the starter inhibit switch built in, it's located on the front left corner of the HP22/24
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline chaosego

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 12:43:40 »
hi thanks for the reply , this was my dads disco for 4 years and it did it with him while towing a caravan he went to get an oil cooler fitted but the guy said it has one on and the ones he had where smaller. the oil and filters where changed in gear box , he was advised to use like a manual when going up hills ect seemed to be fine. its done it to me a few times not towing but up and down hills on hot day stopped to fill up stuck in petrol station for an hour oops. there is a wired connection hanging loose  near transfer/gear box area but not sure where it is supposed to go or what it is for ? i am not wanting to spend money on extra coolers as yet ,i might have to sell it as i need a van . would really like to keep it though and do some miles in it but would need to sort it if going off roading like in spain or morocco . cheers glyn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTqfi7Kk9S8

YEE- HAA!!

standard hight scorpion springs
PRO COMP SHOCKS.
EGR BLANKETY BLANK.
CAMEL CUT.
GREY MODULARS 255/70/15 COLWAY aTS.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 20:51:58 »
Not entirey sure here but if yours is P reg V8 then it should have a hot oil cooler in the radiator and a cold oil cooler ahead of it, the "bog brush " or "hairy sausage" type seem to have been superceded by a long flat vane type around the mid 90s.

Wires on the back face of the transfer box are the T-box oil temp sensor, LHS of the T-Box is the speedo pick-up, front left of the gearbox is the inhibitor switch/reverse light switch.  The auto box heat warning sender is at the front of the engine bay.

But it might not be the  gearbox at all.  try bypassing the inhibit switch, the wiring drops down at the back of the engine bay.

BTW, your selector should slip between "3" and "D" without pushing the button, this is indeed to allow you to hold 3 when towing, I do it with my LSE to allow the engine to rev rather than labour.  3 is also the most direct gear.  You shouldn't need to manually select "1" or "2" though, your more likley to damage to box in time by shifting too late. (if you shift early it won't change gear, either going up or down).

The ZF only has position "1" for off road (the same gearbox in a car doesn't have it at all), it locks an extra clutch to give engine braking downhill, otherwise you off-road in "2", "3" or "D".
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal