AuthorTopic: Rear Height Sensors  (Read 1108 times)

Offline mike142sl

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear Height Sensors
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:10:45 »
Apparently my rear height sensors are 'sticking'? and need replacing - going to give them the WD40 treatment first.
Failing that and having sucessfully changed the air springs recently. I am happy to have a go at replacing the sensors, BUT I have this niggling idea that they need calibrating by a dealer - anyone know if this is true, or can this be avoided by simply disconnecting the battery before changing them.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

mattyme

Rear Height Sensors
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 13:06:19 »
As far as I know, it's just a simple replacement job. I've done a few at work and they just reset themselves and adjust the height accordingly. I don't recall having to have them recalibrated at the dealers.
Hope that help.

Oh, and the sticking seems to be a bit of a common problem.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Rear Height Sensors
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 20:01:14 »
There is a procedure for recallibrating them on Rovacom, but you can't interogate the height sensors, you have to pack the bump stops to the normal ride height then tell the ECU to recallibrate, something like that anyway.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Beerangel

Attack Member
  • If its broke.... fix it
    • soldridge hamshire
Re: Rear Height Sensors
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:45:11 »
Two things can happen,

1. they are currently set to standard settings in the ecu and fitting new ones will be the same and it'll be honky dory
2. (most likely) the ecu has already been 'tuned' to the current sensors so the car will sit a abnormal heights because the resistance being reported is different..

There is a program freely available on tinterweb to allow you to login the eas box and reset the settings but as RRBlues says you have to set them properly, the easiest way is with a two post ramp (level of course) you pick the car up to the intended heights and right down the values for each corner, once you have got all the deatils for all the heights you then put these details back into the eas system, hey presto the eas will now attempt to get back to each of these figures (and hopefully stay there)..

I belive there is also a few units on ebay and such to allow you to talk to the eas unit..
P38 Rangie 2.5 dhse
110" station wagon
88" S3 Safari
P38 V8 4.6 hse
Isuzu Trooper 3.1 td

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal