AuthorTopic: aircon removal ?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Saffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
aircon removal ?
« on: July 31, 2011, 21:12:18 »
In the 300tdi disco (automatic ES fly by wire) we don't use the aircon, belt hasn't been attached for a few k since compressor started making a whine on idle, the refrigerant need refill anyway. I want to remove all aircon components from the engine bay. Compressor, tensioner and pipe work at least. Haven't looked at manual but is there something for the aircon in front of the rad? Wondering if removing that will free up some airflow to the intercooler? also is it safe to remove the twin leccy fans? The truck has the normal fan and I can't see the leccy fans being for anything else other than aircon...

Engine have an under power issue (evident whilst towing up long hills) which I want to try and address and removing needless junk under the hood is first step... and if I can make room for a bigger intercooler then all the better.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 21:14:56 by Saffy »
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: aircon removal ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 16:52:50 »
Made a start.
Removed the compressor and it's immediate piping (system was totally empty!) .
Removed the tensioner pulley bracket and covered hole with proper gasket and cover. Left the idler pulley in place as I do not think I can get it off without removing timing housing cover.
Removed the front plastic trim  (finally discarded the rubber A frame) and had a looksee in there for first tiime.  Sleek strip of an Oil cooler across front, guessing for the auto gearbox. twin leccy fans, some sort of swirl pot on the aircon, some aircon piping and a wacking great condenser across whole width of radiator and intercooler. Can imagine there will be some (under statement?) improvement in airflow to the intercooler when that condenser is removed.
I got the swirl pot thing and pipe removed. Ran out of time today, but I think all I can do from the front is remove the fans if I can get the slam panel support rods removed out of the way.  Thinking that if I have to remove (or ease back) the radiator and frame to get at the condenser then might as well leave the fans in place and take it all out as one.

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 16:56:48 »
keep it coming as this is what I want to do  :smiley:

John
John.

Offline 90Mike

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 19:32:01 »
Rip it all out if its not working pointless have all the junk fitted if it broken. Remove your viscus fan, the 300tdi very rarely needs it as they run cool anyway ( this alone makes a big difference ) refit the electric fans from the aircon and wire them to a switch just incase you ever needed them while offroading or towing  :cool:
MRM Auto Centre
Unit 6 Central City Industrial Estate
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Services, Repairs and very soon MOTs also available rent a ramp for a day or on an hourly rate PM me for details.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 13:50:25 »
Couple more hours at it and job done. Had to do a combination of removing leccy fans via the front and condenser out from rear between rad and intercooler.

Popped out front indicators,removed front grill and light surround again (had to put it all back together yesterday to pickup/take Mrs to work)

Slackened off the bonnet catch mechanism to free the tops of tie bar rods. Removed bottom fixings for tie bars (rusty pigs replaced with 316 stainless).

Tried to undo the 8 hex screws that fix the fans in place but every one of the head sheared off... good though as it made job quicker and easier ! Un-plugged the two fan connectors from loom and wiggled both fans out via front, careful not to damage the automatic gearbox oil cooler.

No way to remove the condenser panel from the front but no need to drain down coolant system to remove from rear either. Removed top rad hose and caught the litre of coolant in a wide tray. Removed top intercooler hose. Removed fan. Removed fan surround.  Removed top rad panel and released both side brackets. The rad and intercooler can now be eased up and tilted backwards to give clearance to the condenser panel. Only two bolt at top fix the condenser in place. Bit of careful wiggling the whole panel can be lifted up and out between slam panel and rad/intercooler.

Cleaned out the 6 inch high debris that had built up between rad and condenser. Waxoyled the cavities around lights and body mounts at front while I was able too. Put everything back together with top up of coolant and oddy enough car feels better for it :wink: ! There is certainly a lot of room for air flow now and some dead weight gone. Think there is room for a larger intercooler now.

I am not in camp of fitting offroaders with leccy fans for cooling nor in camp for removing the standard fan from a tdi so that's staying as is.

Enough of playing with disco for moment, got the defender to rub over with oily rag as it's MOT time coming up.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 13:54:48 by Saffy »

Offline ukmudmaster

Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 16:59:23 »
Hi, as said, rip it all out! You will have a rad in front of the cooling rad, take that out as well, fans are for aircon only, and useless if you want to use them for cooling.  I found that my V8 ran a lot cooler as a result. A bit concerned at first, but all OK, blanked off a (very) small area with foil and all now normal. Except a lot lighter....
Dave
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal