AuthorTopic: TD5 SLS sinking  (Read 4611 times)

Offline mike142sl

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
TD5 SLS sinking
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:51:37 »
Well first of all, how great to have the forum back  :azn: it's been seriously missed.

Anyway, I seem to be having a problem with the Self Leveling Suspension on the TD5. After a couple of days sitting outside the house the rear drivers side sinks to its lowest position which doesn't look as if I could drive with it?. After turning the engine on it re levels itself after a while and then all is well until I park up and leave it for a couple of days when it sinks again. In fact I had to get up last night/morning at 4am and looked out to see all was well, by 7am it had sunk!

Anyone any ideas what is wrong. I've considered a leak in the bag but that would allow things to sink over night rather than sudenly two days later. As far as I can see the near side isn't sinking but is lower than normal, although this just could be the effect of the off side having lost air.

Thanks all,
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline Ricky

Attack Member
Re: TD5 SLS sinking
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 11:50:21 »
Yep you have a leaking bag :cry:
The problem with the leaks is they dont consistantly leak and drop until its quite bad, minor leaks can sort of reseal themselves depending on the inflation level of the bag  and the position of folds etc.  dont delay replacing it as your compressor could be working overtime to compensate, if that burns out its significant

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
  • Who Said I can't go there?????
    • Near the next village in Hertfordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:53:45 »
Agree 100% with Ricky mine was doing this over Chrismast,
if your a competant diyer Pieace of P..cake,
Lucky mine done it the day i was replacing the bags so I didn't have to undo the pipe at compressor end took about hour and a half that was with a cupper when me mate came round..

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 13:36:23 »
Thanks, I'm happy to have a go although time is a bit short with a Scout Camp looming? Are there any instructions that I can take a look at - nothing in the Heynes Manual unless I've missed it.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 15:13:27 »

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Rear%20Air%20Springs.html

If I'm gonna do anything on mine I check the site it's like the bible for discovery 2's
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 15:17:07 by Landy1uk »

Offline Ricky

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 18:41:38 »
Yep that write up just about covers it, all i would add is that you can deflate the system easily by unplugging one of the height sensors

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 17:26:22 »

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Rear%20Air%20Springs.html

If I'm gonna do anything on mine I check the site it's like the bible for discovery 2's

Thanks everyone. The site above is very good for jobs like this - I like pictures  :azn: I've just managed to swap them in about 1 and a half hours so quite pleased with myself. It took longer to get the Disco jacked up as I couldn't get the axle stands in having placed the jacks too close to where I wanted them etc, bit of a mare that bit but managed it in the end.
One bonus in that I didn't have to cut the pipes. The olive was a split one that I simply broke off, allowin me to slide the old connector straight off - so no loss of pipe length.
Slight panic when turning it back on to re fill the new bags to find only one side inflated  :evil: but I went to check for leaks at the compressor end only to find nothing wrong, then when I went back to the said spring it had inflated?
All seems to be working as it should, and the ride feels good on the test drive.
I hope this has solved the problem.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 19:21:33 »
Cool I'm glad it's sorted
I had done the same with the jacks

glad I could help

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 20:35:48 »
Yep that write up just about covers it, all i would add is that you can deflate the system easily by unplugging one of the height sensors
I've got the optional fob that allows me to lower the suspension, it gets rid of most of the air so when you jack it up the bags are almost empty.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 13:09:54 »
Arrgh, noticing that the back end seems to be adjusting whilst stuck in traffic now. As I come to a stop and put the handbrake on I notice the bonnet moving down in relation to the vehicle in front, so the air springs must be pumping up.
Anyone any ideas why this may be?
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal