AuthorTopic: grrr britpart alternator  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Saffy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
  • Referrals: 0
grrr britpart alternator
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:55 »
do not usually britpart bash  :lipsrsealed: but the alternator packed up on the 300tdi disco so ordered a replacement 110 quid britpart, fitted and found that there's no output on the W terminal for the rev counter, the output voltage is within spec but on the high side being 15volts constant instead of the 14.3v max found on LR products.  Have been using a borrowed genuine alternator and that works fine and drive the rev counter so confident its a fault of the new alternator. On the defender I wouldn't care less or even have known there was a problem (no rev counter).
So got to live through the hassle of returning etc hopefully l.r.series.com will be a hassle free experience.

good news : now expert at swapping out the alternator on a 300tdi disco in under 20minutes
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
Re: grrr britpart alternator
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:24:48 »
new alternator mkII arrived today (thanks lrseries.com !), fitted and it works.  From lifting bonnet - swapping out, testing and closing bonnet took 11 minutes ... Think I could get job in the pits at formula 1 landrover?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 22:23:31 »
I try to avoif buying poopart if it's anything that moves/spins or lights up.  they make good tinwork though
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:44:25 »
Probably a wise thing to avoid aye.

But I give them benefit of doubt ...again. Wish they'd get QA sorted though.

The fact the alternator 'looks' of good quality and construction and weight for weight of the one removed goes a long way...time will tell anyway.

Had a Chinese replacement alternator for the defender from paddocks in the past which was half the size, made from sweetie wrapper foil and shown a picture of Thomas Edison during manufacture .....Salisbury Plain ate that one quite quickly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal