AuthorTopic: Disco 2 TD5 gearbox over heating  (Read 5743 times)

Offline MADBEAR

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Disco 2 TD5 gearbox over heating
« on: June 25, 2011, 20:26:51 »
Hi has any one had a disco 2 TD5 Gearbox heat up it happens more when I tow my caravan it is only about 1k in weight and the breaks are not dragging, we changed the gearbox oil and transfer box oil grease the props checked the level in the axels. we went down a short lane in low range and the went aprox 14 miles in hi range on main roads and it started to heat up, the gearbox dos not tighten up at all it is as smooth as when cold. I am at a loss as what to try next.

:sad:
Life should  NOT  be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving  safely in an attractive and well preserved body,but rather  to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one  hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO  HOO, What a  Ride

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
  • Who Said I can't go there?????
    • Near the next village in Hertfordshire
Re: Disco 2 TD5 gearbox over heating
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 22:59:28 »
Yes mine done this I was towing a Caravan van from the roughham 4x4 show and when we got three quarters (64Miles )mine done that lucky just as we was getting to our destination told my mate It was his van i was towing and He said it might be the sensor as it near heat gets warm and give false reading think sesor is up near the front on the oil cooler thats the area he was looking in(he works for RAC) but checked it over and no probs since I've had my van on the back since but as it's a lighter van that did't do it.

hth
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 23:01:24 by Landy1uk »

Offline MADBEAR

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 23:22:51 »
I don
Life should  NOT  be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving  safely in an attractive and well preserved body,but rather  to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one  hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO  HOO, What a  Ride

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 23:52:46 »
blimey thats naughty  sorry can't think of anything in that area I'll have a look in my rave disk  what year is it

Offline MADBEAR

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:52:25 »
it is 1999

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 16:25:51 »
Had a look through the disk it don't say anything directly to this problem, you've change the gearbox fluid and transfer fluids,  I know gearsticks do get warm but not that warm, I'll have another look later and I'll ask the mecanic at work see if he can think of anything apart from that I Don't know what to suggest Sorry

Rob

Offline MADBEAR

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 12:31:40 »
Thank for your time

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 13:11:47 »
No worries mate

Spoke to my mate  could be wrong grade oil or a blockage in the intercooler  and pipes or intercooler covered in muck and stuff with outlooking at it himself, that's what he would check,

catch ya later

Offline Cyberprog

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 22:00:29 »
You can fit a oil cooler to the R380 - not standard fit for UK, but available for ROW spec.
Alex Threlfall - Cyberprog New Media
99 T Disco 5Dr Automatic - TD5 Alived! with Larger Intercooler, Samco XDB Hoses, Turbo Boost Box, Stage 2 Remap, Ceramic Exhaust Manifold and Stainless Exhaust
TP4x4 Front & Devon 4x4 Rear HD Bumpers, QT Diff Guards, TP4x4 Steering Guard, Tank Guard, NAS Hitch, Security Screens
Some people have it coming. I'm just a delivery mechanism.

Offline MADBEAR

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 16:25:07 »
update we have now had the r380 gearbox recon and it still is getting hot on long trips and towing i put a temp probe on it when we got back from holiday and it was 173 deg Fahrenheit does anyone know what the running temp should be!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 04:20:53 »
If you read Ashcroft's site I think they say the R380 does get warm, there are additives or as said ROW models got a cooler.  If you can find a scrap V8 R380 it will have it fitted, the TDi has a cover plate that returns the oil straight back into the 'box.

if you are towing you need a cooler.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal