AuthorTopic: Fitting flexi arches  (Read 3943 times)

Offline john656

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
  • Referrals: 0
Fitting flexi arches
« on: June 19, 2011, 19:55:12 »
Woo back on-line.
Evening all,
Looking at fitting some flexi arches to my 5dr disco when I can afford them to stop my doors and arches chewing my tyres to pieces. I've had a look on the workshop articles but its the only one that the pictures aren't working :cry:, and from memory it was a good write up. Anybody have a few pictures of what goes on just to give me some idea of what I'm letting myself in for.

Thanks in advance

John
My wife can't wrestle but you should see her box.

Offline eugene

Attack Member
Re: Fitting flexi arches
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 19:59:25 »
pretty straight forward mate done mine in half a day just get someone to hold arch in place till looks right then mark it and cut just inside the line only thing with a 5dr is the double skin on the rear doors i did mine with andgle grinder
sj410 wifes offroader
1992 gold 5 door disco winch and bumper spots rooflights .2inch lift. khuno kl 71 265.75.16.rebel steering guard. snorkel
 freelander wifes car
www.norfolk4x4response.org.uk  www.brecklandlrc.co.uk/

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 20:45:45 »
 :evil:  Did mine over a weekend at BigA`s with Frankieboy

well I should say BigA did while I cringed in the background lol

front wings really easy as mentioned just hold up and mark where to cut, but when we got to the back doors omg at one point I thought I was going to have buy 2 new doors lol that much cutting and fiddling about chucked the instructions in the bin tbh.

Also all cut with a angel grinder and Im sure if you ask BigA can provide pics of the burns on his leg from the small fire that took part on his trouser leg  :lipsrsealed:

The Finished Look I do think is pretty Good though
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline john656

Attack Member
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 22:14:56 »
Well I've ordered some...... will wait and see. I prefer eugene's answer, might do the fronts and then pluck up the courage to do the rears  :wink:
My wife can't wrestle but you should see her box.

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 23:03:37 »
I didn't have anyone to help me...... :sad:

so I stuck them on with double sided tape first to draw round them... :grin:

I also left the rear arch in one piece until all the holes were marked before cutting the arch where the door meets the wing..

(mine came in one piece that I cut myself)
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Mighty_zuke

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 16:40:26 »
Fronts are easy.... hold up in the right place draw underneath and then cut just above the line (Or as you'll be thinking OMG How much???? Cut a bit at a time and keep double checking!). Then when you've cut enough away pilot drill the arch and wing and screw it up!

Backs are slightly harder..... I fitted the rear section first, lign it up as you did the front keeping the top level with ( but not necessarily on) the line in the body work. Again draw underneath and cut and fit as you did on the front.

Then for the door!!!!! hold up and lign up with rear section and mark as before. Cut with someone holding the door open. I did this from the outside then transfered the cut into the inside and cut it again on the right line. Then when you close the door draw on the arch open the door and cut the arch. Then fit the arch....

Then I used expanding foam on the inside of the door to fill any gaps covered with sealant and painted to match the car.

All you have to do then is exactly the same on the other side!

Simples ;)

Mitsubishi Shogun

Nissan Navara

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal