AuthorTopic: Defender chassis swap  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Landyash

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Defender chassis swap
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:41:12 »
Hi i am after some info regarding my defender F 90 2.5 TD.
I have been offered a rolled damaged defender 90 300 tdi,its a at local defender breakers yard, he has offered me the whole landy for spares with no ID.

I have had a good look around it all the panels are damaged in some way ie roof doors bonnet wings tub bulkhead etc but the engine box chassis look excellent, it has a engine number but no chassis number, it looks like it might of had a chassis swop at some time, has there is no number and  looks like its never had one  :|

what I was wondering is  mine defender is looking very tired,the engine  has done 200,000 miles and the chassis is full of patches, would it be problem to do a chassis and engine swop and using all my panels to rebuild it keeping my ID?

Many thanks Ash
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:43:25 by Landyash »

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Re: Defender chassis swap
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 16:24:41 »
Officially, changing a chassis for one off another vehicle should loose the original identity. Replacing the chassis with a new one would retain the identity. In practice, if the one you are putting on is already a 'new' replacement, it's hard to believe anyone would have a problem over it. But don't take my word for that!

Arguably, what you actually doing is replacing panels on the 300tdi, so if that had an ID, you should scrap your 2.5TD and retain the 300 ID.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

diesel_jim

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 18:36:11 »
Like was said, "officially" you should contact the DVLA,VOSA, get an SVA etc etc etc, whilst simultaniously opening up a large can of worms and also your wallet.

"unofficially" (as i was told by the SVA inspector who came out to look at my 90 twice whilst i was building it) they say "Hmmm.... you won't tell us next time, will you  [-X ;) ;) "

Meaning, if you're just swapping the chassis, as you are, and your "new" one has no numbers in it (even better for you really), then just swap it, stamp them in and keep schtum... job done; don't advertise the fact you've done it to the masses, just in case there is some doo-gooder out there. But any officials would have a hard time proving when and where the chassis came from, so i can't see there would be any issue.

It's not like you're trying to rebuild a 1950 S1 onto a galvanised 2.4puma chassis (with puma bodywork) and claim it as a tax exempt  :^o  :^o... you're still willing to pay the road fund (arn't you?  [-o< ) so the "crown" will be no worse off.

Offline Landyash

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 18:54:51 »
Hi guys thanks for the comments, going to look again tomorrow,might make him a offer :dance:
Cheers Ash

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:24:35 »
It's not like you're trying to rebuild a 1950 S1 onto a galvanised 2.4puma chassis (with puma bodywork) and claim it as a tax exempt 

That sums it up really.... you aren't trying to commit fraud, so it's hard to believe it will be a problem.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal