AuthorTopic: The fight against uninsured vehicles  (Read 7062 times)

Offline MuddyMike

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
The fight against uninsured vehicles
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:37 »
Forwarded from another place. Makes sense to me.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

Mike
If you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there

Self built Range Rover/Lightweight hybrid (yes the one with yellow wheels)

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
Re: The fight against uninsured vehicles
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:27:23 »
Fine by me, the fines can already arrive if you havn't renewed your SORN (Also they are under no obligation to send you a reminder!!) so I guess by comparing to the MIB database you could end up with two fines??

No doubt some innocents will be accused under this but it should be all for the good otherwise.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:53:53 »
All of which is still cheaper than a LOT of peoples insurance premiums.

Do what civilized countires do, have the road tax include basic 3rd party cover from .gov. Problem solved.
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:01:01 »
should tie car tax and insurance together or issue a tax disc type insurance to display in window of all vehicles
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 18:12:03 »
Ohh [Edited], this is going to cause me no end of hassle. So now if my insurance policy runs out I have to send my tax in and declare sorn? What a f*c*ing joke!

Plus, all my vehicles are covered by my traders policy, and arent registered on the MID, so how is that going to work?

And as per usual it wont stop the real criminals, who will carry on driving cars that are registered to a fictional person.

So now you can get fined for yet another thing which is legal, owning a vehicle that isnt insured.

Ahh im furious, they assume that everyone has just one car to think about.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline squaddie_fox

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 21:36:02 »
They can take me to court.

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 00:49:44 »
I agree that something needs doing, but treating us all like criminals isn't the right way to do it.  As said already it just means more inconvenience for law abiding citizens and making doing nothing an offence is just a joke.

In Auz you pay basic insurance with your fuel, no-one can drive uninsured unless they are powered by wind.  It was muted to do the same here but as usual our governement wanted to use it as an excuse to increase fuel taxation, can't remember where I read about it now though.

I'd gladly pay more fuel duty if they got rid of raod tax and the need to have basic 3rd party insurance, let's face it we'd be paying for what we used rather than to tax a stationary vehicle (how many of use do that?), there would be a lot less "classic" cars being driven as tax evasion and bigger, thirstier cars would still contirbute more per mile in insurance.  Just as long as it was the 3 or 4 p/litre it should cost and not another 50p/litre.

However, whilst the fine is a couple of hundred quid and car insewerance costs over a grand for young drivers the situation will continue.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 13:01:31 »
all my vehicles are covered by my traders policy, and arent registered on the MID, so how is that going to work?

Isn't it a legal requirement to register vehicles used under a trade policy on the MID? Ours are all registered. I thought anything that wasn't registered had to driven under trade plates and meet the criteria of such use. i.e. be a vehicle for sale, etc.

However, the idea of having to insure a vehicle that has an MOT and tax, but is not being used on the road, is crazy.

Edit:
Just looked it up and it reads that all 'company vehicles' are to be entered on the MID by the company concerned.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_071948
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 13:09:46 by V8MoneyPit »
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 13:55:41 »
Just looked it up and it reads that all 'company vehicles' are to be entered on the MID by the company concerned.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_071948

I was stopped twice on passing through ANPR checks before that rule came out. Both times the bobby stopping me opened with something like "I have stopped you because no insurance is shown for the vehicle, its probably because it's a fleet car but do you have proof of insurance"

Mike

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 15:30:26 »
I'm sure it's fine as long as the car is actually insured. It just means you might have the trouble of having to take your documents to the police station to prove it.

If someone's insurance expires half way through a month and they decide to not use the car for a couple of weeks and re-insure from the next month, they are likely to get a nasty letter from the DVLA under the proposed rules! It's bonkers to force people SORN their car for a few days, only to re-tax it shortly after.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 15:35:12 by V8MoneyPit »
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 23:40:00 »
Good point, because they won't refund the tax unless you cancel it more than a month before it's due for renewal.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 09:03:44 »
Im really dreading this.

To be fair its the road tax system that causes all the hassle. Its just so outdated, why cant we do away with the disc and just have it as a computer database, where you can pay to put 5 days tax on it if you want. Its always been a scam selling it in only 6 months or 12. Or do away with it all together and pay it on fuel or whatever as has been suggested.

Ever since they introduced 'SORN' I have hated the DVLA. Its such a petty thing that does nothing but hassle honest folks. The problem is that most people don't see a problem, as they have one car and its on the road all the time. People like me who have multiple piles of old scrap, all in different states of repair, suffer all the time with SORN declarations etc. Especially when I have to chop and change between what I drive because of cars going in a cycle between being broken and fixed. Dont forget that you can't cash your tax in at the post office now, got to send it off. And nearly every time you cash it in and tax something else you lose months into the ether.

I always think in these scenarios, 'how would I get around this as a criminal?'. And to be fair its a piece of cake. The police now are so reliant on ANPR that if you dont speed and your all good on the database then you will never get pulled, so I would just duplicate the numberplates off a similar looking car. You can even check whenever you want online to confirm that the car you have cloned is still insured, taxed etc.
   And the more people that do that, the more innocent people are going to get fines/points for stuff they havent done!
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline MudLifeCrisis

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 09:13:01 »
Always thought more people would get reported for no road tax if you had to display it on the rear window. :police: [-X

1997 Ford Maverick 2.7tdi LWB
1980 Series 111  88 diesel

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 14:49:15 »
Im really dreading this.

I always think in these scenarios, 'how would I get around this as a criminal?'. And to be fair its a piece of cake. The police now are so reliant on ANPR that if you don't speed and your all good on the database then you will never get pulled, so I would just duplicate the numberplates off a similar looking car. You can even check whenever you want online to confirm that the car you have cloned is still insured, taxed etc.
   And the more people that do that, the more innocent people are going to get fines/points for stuff they havent done!

Years ago I knew two brothers that made there living selling logs. They owned at least three, some said five identical pick up trucks. They would load the trucks as they cut the logs then stick the one tax disk on each truck as they needed to make deliveries. Each truck had identical number plates and the best one was MOT tested each year. They got caught out when a new local bobby noticed one of the trucks had no brake lights and followed it back into the yard.

Mike

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 00:59:24 »
Always thought more people would get reported for no road tax if you had to display it on the rear window. :police: [-X

Don't the Americans put it on the licence plate/number plate instead?

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 09:24:14 »
Yes they do, and in many states they don't have a plate on the front.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline CaptainColourful

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 00:58:33 »

Don't the Americans put it on the licence plate/number plate instead?

Canada has a great system. The date if your tax/insurance is displayed on the rear numberplate.... it's also linked to your date of birth so you never forget to re-licence. What a birthday present !
TD5 ... Disco Classic Country (Oz import)

What credit crunch ? I started with nothing and still have most of it left !

Offline Gordo

Attack Member
    • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 18:42:27 »
As a reminder, the continuous insurance laws came in to effect this week - so get insurance or declare SORN.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/13836557
Some say that this is just a random collection of letters, and that it can only be
understood by Top Gear's tame racing driver. All we know is, it's called The Sig.

Land Rover Freelander SE Td4 | Defender 110 XS Double-Cab

Offline Mash

Attack Member
    • Lincoln
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 19:18:39 »
Not sure if this one applies to anyone here but it does to me..
How do you stand if you've vehicles that are off the road BUT re SORN ?

2 of my bikes have never been sorned as they were taken off the road before it came into force and nether are insured ?
Just a thought  :police:
Hit it till it breaks then hit it some more !

"Jingle" 200Tdi 110 - Which way to the mud ??

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 21:43:15 »
Not sure if this one applies to anyone here but it does to me..
How do you stand if you've vehicles that are off the road BUT re SORN ?

2 of my bikes have never been sorned as they were taken off the road before it came into force and nether are insured ?
Just a thought  :police:

You'll be fine. As long as you have the V5 in your name. If you ever sell them, then the new owner will have to SORN them, but as you took them off the road before this came into force you will be OK.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline zebidee

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 13:42:00 »
Since most fully comp insurance provides 3rd party cover for all other vehicles driven how does this work now?

If the car's taxed legally but doesn't have insurance ... but the other car I own is fully comp then technically I'd be insured if I were to actually have an accident BUT according to what's been mentioned I'd be flagged up because the VEHICLE doesn't have insurance.

A mate of mine also got fully comp for any vehicle on his Clio's insurance - so that'd be the same too right?

Surely it should be a combination of the driver + vehicle - although that'd mean they'd actually have to do some legwork rather than just slap the owner with a fine automatically.

----
Discovery 3 TDV6 XS
Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TD

Offline Landy1uk

Attack Member
  • Who Said I can't go there?????
    • Near the next village in Hertfordshire
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 15:06:07 »
I thought that 3rd party bit was only if the car was not owned by the policy holder and you had to tell the insurance you were driving another car

if i'm wrong i'll be corrected

Offline jay2578

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Tayside 4x4 Response
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 15:10:23 »
Since most fully comp insurance provides 3rd party cover for all other vehicles driven how does this work now?

If the car's taxed legally but doesn't have insurance ... but the other car I own is fully comp then technically I'd be insured if I were to actually have an accident BUT according to what's been mentioned I'd be flagged up because the VEHICLE doesn't have insurance.

A mate of mine also got fully comp for any vehicle on his Clio's insurance - so that'd be the same too right?

Surely it should be a combination of the driver + vehicle - although that'd mean they'd actually have to do some legwork rather than just slap the owner with a fine automatically.

You can`t drive an uninsured motor YOU own on your other motors fully comp policy, only a vehicle belonging to someone else
Chairman & Trustee
Tayside 4x4 Response
Scottish Charity No. SC042452
info@tayside4x4response.co.uk

`96 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 (ZJ)
225/70/r16 Marix Puma muds
Roof lights and rack

"It`s a JEEP not a Land Rover!"

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 16:18:40 »

Also the 3rd party cover on another vehicle NOT OWNED by you is only valid if the other car has a full insurance policy applicable to it.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 22:20:55 »
That's right, under the road traffic act IIRC the car has to carry insewerance even if parked on the road to cover it's basic liability.  Your 3rd part cover ceases when you get out and lock it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal