AuthorTopic: Vague Slack Steering!  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Landroverstormer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Vague Slack Steering!
« on: October 31, 2010, 19:57:01 »
I was off roading today (nothing too major), however as I got onto the tarmac to come home I found that the steering had become vague and didn't respond around the dead-ahead position. It was wandering around badly so I stopped. I found that the steering arm link was very slack and you could move the bar around by quite a fair amount.

Perhaps I should have got it recovered? But as I was close from home and the roads were straight, I decided to crawl along at 10-15mph slowing right down to a stop for oncoming traffic.

Does the link sound like it's the cause of my problem or is it a coincidence and that it's something else? Looks like repair kits are only
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE - 2010
Defender 90 300 TDi Soft-Top - 1996
Mini Cooper Convertible - 2009
Volkswagen 181 Trekker (Thing/Kubelwagon) 1972

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Re: Vague Slack Steering!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 22:28:29 »
what arm are we talking about ?
the one off the bottom of the steering box ? it isnt uncommon for the circlip to drop out of the drop arm ( early disco and defenders ) which then causes all the guts to drop out to give abit of wobbly steering effect  :P
ive even ripped that joint off a few times  :doh:
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 21:56:04 »
The rebuildable steering drop arm isn't too bad a joh if you can get the drop arm off.  Doing it on the car is much harder.

If the fixed race isn't too badly worn you can hammer it out with e drift (cheap screwdriver) but if it's badl worn like the first one I did then you have to grind 2 cutouts with e Drenmel to allow you to see the shoulder of the race.

I like to polish the ball and races with very fine wet and dry, this makes them last longer.  Rebuild with lots of grease.

I use a G clamp and 2 sockets to push it all together, if it's not hard then you've left a bit out, my favourite being the O ring seal :roll:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:07:58 »
i,ve found that the rubber boots in the cheap kits  dont last any lenght of time  4/6 weeks ish
if you have allready got a cheap kit think about using the old rubber boot if possible

kevin
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal