AuthorTopic: Nut job!!!  (Read 2219 times)

Offline kizz81

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Nut job!!!
« on: October 30, 2010, 23:25:41 »
well i thought i had seen my fair share of crazy people for this year but im told they havn't all seen me  :evil:
i left buxton early friday morning to crack on with taking the engine out of my rangie in mansfield and strip it so a friend of mine could come and collect it ready for some sort of coffee table  :lol: about 1 hour after i left i got a paniked phone call from friend saying can you think of anyone you have upset? bumped with your landy by accident or any one he had upset... turns out a nut job knocked on our front door ( shared house ) asked mate for a hand took him round the side of the house pinned him up against the wall and said you owe me
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline mass199

Attack Member
    • Wye Valley
Re: Nut job!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:28:28 »
All i can say is just tell the police you are really worried about you and the rest off the people in the house. They may tell the guy not to make contact with you or they will take things further.

If you can, stay in pairs for the time being and don't let the size of a man scare you, anyone whose unstable can cause damage big or small, you've got more chance of getting away from a big man.   
Herefordshire LRC

Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes. All been smashed in MX crashes.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 06:59:48 »
I have to say it sounds as though he's unstable enough that he doesn't know who or what he's looking for - could your mate or the cops smell beer on him as this sounds like drunk logic! I suspect he was jump started by a random landy and he's become convinced it was yours (most likely after seeing yours around while the repair bill was fresh in his mind - doesn't sound as if logic is his strong point).

I know that it's possible to damage an alternator when jump-starting a completely flat vehicle - IIRC you need to leave the cables connected for a while so you don't suddenly dump the entire electrical load of the flat battery on its own alternator? What I've never been sure of is how long you should leave it for.

I'm not sure whether it would stand up in court, but I think the good samaritan defence would apply here. Help was given in good faith to someone who asked for it. Damage arising is their problem as they could have waited for professional help but chose not to (has there ever been a case of a successful suit against a member of the public for attempting to render assistance and unintentionally damaging a vehicle?) Not that it's your problem anyway as it wasn't you that did it!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 10:42:37 »
cheers!
the land rovers being parked at another place well out of the way, and as it happens at peterborough show a friend of mine gave me 2 cctv cameras to play with,
considering its the second incedent has been had at the front door ( i wasn't there for nither  :roll: ) i might put one up pointing at it, good idea?
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline muddy90

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 11:11:09 »
if his battery was flat maybe he had the problem before it was jumped , just a thought.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 11:39:04 »
Depends on how often you get disturbed individuals demanding money with menaces, really. I don't think CCTV does much to reduce crime as the pictures are usually rubbish and a camera can't stop a crime in progress.

The camera would be unlikely to deter them, but it could cover your backside if he later attempted to claim to the Police that you'd threatened him or taken a swing at him. You might need to put a sign or two up mentioning that you're recording, most places using CCTV seem to feel they need to do this.

Offline squaddie_fox

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 18:21:59 »
Also, If you have a sign up stating you are using CCTV then it might deter the offender if he comes back. If all else fails a kick in the knackers and impressions of a swastika as your run away.

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

Offline john656

Attack Member
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 21:54:40 »

You might need to put a sign or two up mentioning that you're recording, most places using CCTV seem to feel they need to do this.

Is this not a legal requirement to tell people to smile they're on camera?? I could be making things up tho :huh: :huh:

John
My wife can't wrestle but you should see her box.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 23:58:48 »
I'm not sure whether it is or isn't. See, you can legally take photos or video of anything you can see in or from a public place without needing permission. I think if you plan to sell the images then strictly speaking you need written permission from any identifiable individuals, but when you see the BBC showing a reporter walking along a busy street talking to camera...do you really think they stop the 50-odd people visible in the shot and ask them all?

I suspect the signs are a mix of covering themselves (because they aren't sure of the legalities) and deterring potential thieves or vandals.

Offline john656

Attack Member
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 18:38:47 »
ahhh... i remember reading or someone talking about it thats the only reason i asked.
My wife can't wrestle but you should see her box.

Drift

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 20:51:36 »
No its not a legal requirement, the signs are just there as part of the deterent.

Look at buses, they nearly all have CCTV these days, the sign is on the inside but most have at least four cameras on the outside with no warnings, though some recently have started showing exterior stickers, again as a deterrent for false insurance claims, but they never used to advertise the external cameras.

Again local authority CCTV is not always advertised as well as the Motorway cameras.

Offline dxmedia

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 09:53:12 »
If you know where he's at, do you want a mog parked on his motor ;)  :lol:
1959 Unimog 404 DoKa i6
1996 Jeep ZG i6with 6" suspension lift
1999 2.5 v6 Omega autobahn stormer
2001 1.4 Polo

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 14:11:52 »
haha as much as i would love that it may not help  :lol:
i havn't heard anything more from the police and we havn't had any more trouble so alls good so far !!!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 16:12:08 »
Next time you have a problem ,call the cops and say you think he had a gun this time.
That will keep him busy for a while.

wizard :twisted:

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 17:16:52 »
Will do in Buxton  :D :D :D mate of mine was in trouble (pub fight) late at  night so used phone box to call police.  there was a mention of weapons involved and within 5 minutes there were armed police on scene  :dance: :dance:

'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 22:15:18 »
haha sound slike the tourist town buxton  :lol:
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline bilge rat

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 23:19:02 »
wher we used to live they had music going late and into the morning had asked them to quiten it , they then woke my young un up . mrs phoned the police werent that interested, i was a little miffed at the time and shouted i,ll sort them im going now and slammed the door. within 10 mins 2 cars turned up . i was a little embarased as im not the agressive sort . it did work though  ;)

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 23:08:27 »
doh, friend who drives the well known free spirit 110 had his tow bar stolen two nights ago  :evil:
whats wrong with people ?
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal