AuthorTopic: broken half shaft  (Read 1033 times)

Offline bodgeitjo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
broken half shaft
« on: October 24, 2010, 17:57:59 »
sorry guys me again. right i now know my problem is a broken half shaft. :evil: i havent had this before (usualy just cv)how hard/easy is it normally to get the broken end out or is it easyer to source a complete axle( i just scrapped a good disco one 2 weeks ago :evil: :roll:)is it a case of strip the other side down take out the diff and see how mangled it is. also is it posible to take the old cv off without damaging it.  cheers jo
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 18:00:11 by bodgeitjo »
1989 110csw 200tdi                                                                                                                                      If it aint broke fix it till it is.

diesel_jim

Re: broken half shaft
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 19:06:06 »
Depends on how far down the shaft has broken... you may be able to grab it with some pipe grips if you're lucky.

Failing that, strip the other side, get a length of flat steel bar, or studding... with the aid of a torch and some jiggery pokery, you should be able to thread the bar through the diff (if it's a 2 pinion diff then there will be a pin across the middle of the "hole" that you need to get the bar past, if it's a 4 pin diff, or an ARB locker type diff, then there's no pin across the middle, just a large halfshaft-diameter hole, so you can use a beeft length of bar, and smack the broken piece of shaft out (with a hammer on the end of the bar!  :dance:)

Offline bodgeitjo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: broken half shaft
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 19:58:30 »
cheers mate all sorted :dance: :lol:
1989 110csw 200tdi                                                                                                                                      If it aint broke fix it till it is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal