AuthorTopic: Snow plow......  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Ja1983

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
  • Referrals: 0
Snow plow......
« on: October 13, 2010, 12:40:24 »
Yes I know, but i'm presently on with a proto-type to save me spending most of winter shifting the stuff by hand!

private use only
easy fit
cheapest & easiest way possible.

I've seen the youtube videos, done a lot of googling, and I think i'm almost there (waiting to finilise my winch bumper before i can confirm mounting plates)

movement is by winch, the main vertical pivot is set behind the fairlead so the winch has no drama lifting it
blade is a flat push (no odd forces been put into the chassis/steering)
low speed on fairly smooth tarmac/back drive

anyone made one before?
wil get pics of plans so far soon!

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Re: Snow plow......
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 18:01:37 »
I naively thought maybe 2x4 timber would be a starting point for a snowplough.  It took about 90 mins to build, and about 15 seconds to turn into a pile of matchwood.  With hindsight maybe wood wasn't the best fabrication material to use.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 00:08:04 »
I've seen the council ones and they have a framework that runs under the front axle for added strength, I wouldn't just bolt it to the front end of the chassis
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 18:08:11 »
I've seen the council ones and they have a framework that runs under the front axle for added strength, I wouldn't just bolt it to the front end of the chassis

this is due to speed plowing, and the chances of clipping a manhole/kerb at sufficent speed to rip the whole thing off.. i'm unlikely to get half way through low box, so a bracket off the winch bumper braced against the steering guard should be more than sufficient.
I'm also including a "weak link" on the main bars, so if worst was to happen, its not going to tear the front end of the chassis off!

think i've almost got it together now, just waiting for a local fabricator to press me some bits!

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

Offline T30CDB

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 16:42:49 »
going by the shape of a snow plough have you consired using the thick plastic barrels cut in half and joined together
and on the eigth day god created ..... Landrover

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:22:36 »
Good observation, and it may be my second option.. its just a case of getting hold of said barrel.. will only need some light framework, a wear bar (plastic isnt going to last!)

if the frames rigid enough, joining sholdnt be a problem, just a case of rivet all round and rely on the strength of the framework..

unlike this... (skip to 1min 30)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDrededd#p/a/u/5/j1UCEvCGXsE

this is more like what i'm aiming for
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKASp5Rwdpk&feature=related

been busy in the shed this weekend, so will get some pics when daylight/motivation combine!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal