AuthorTopic: defender spare wheel bonnet mounted  (Read 4048 times)

Offline kevinf

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
defender spare wheel bonnet mounted
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:55 »
hi there

looking into the options for carring a 2nd spare wheel occasionally and thought a bonnet mounted spare would fit the bill
its a td5 110 so apart from the obvious ie td5 bonnet what other model defender bonnet would fit and if a much earlier bonnet fitted would the bonnet stay difference be a simple not too expensive thing to sort!

thinking about having a 2nd bonnet so i can just swap it when the need for two spare wheels arises and Ive still got a straight unmolested bonnet for the rest of the time

cheers kevin

p.s if it is do able cheaply any body got the bits i need :D
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
Re: defender spare wheel bonnet mounted
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 15:27:27 »
You will need to modify the td5 bonet to make it strong enough to take a spare wheel as they have a habbit of bending if not streghtened enough.
Any other defender bonnet will fit and the only thing you will have to source is the bonnet stay bracket which just bolts to the wing iirc. This bracket not only mounts the foldable bonnet stay but also allows it to be held in the locked position with the bonnet up.
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 20:01:39 »
A thread here a few months ago went in to this.If the motor isnt fitted with a spare wheel on the bonnet,ie newer vehicles it is illegal ,to do with the visability,but whos gona say other???
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 20:59:20 »
i know of four different vehicles with bonnet mounted spares and one is a policeman so it cant be illegal.
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline bogie

Attack Member
  • IF IT AINT GOT LEAFS,ITS NO GOOD!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 20:02:42 »
Just because someone is a copper doesnt mean a thing.If you LOOK further back about 6 months there is a thread about it.Best thing to do is ask landrover,WHY DONT YOU PUT THE SPARE ON THE BONNET ANY MORE? then we will all know again! If someone buys a vehicle with it all ready there whos gona say other.End of the day its the best place for the spare boot and it looks propper!!!
1968 SERIES 2A ,200TDI TUNED,RANGE ROVER AXLES,ONE TON SHACKLES,CPC PARAS,ES3000,POLYBUSHED,ANACONDAS.                     1970 SERIES 2A, 200TDI TUNED,5 SPEED LT77 WITH LT230S TRANSFER BOX 1.211 RATIO.ZEUS DISKS ALLROUND.ES3000,MODIFIED 90 TANK,3.5 DIFFS.

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 00:31:23 »
the weight of a wheel on a bonnet makes it awkward to open, and bloody nasty should it close while your under it..
my spare is on a ratchet strap inside, sat on the arch.. plenty space in a 110 to do the same.. i dont like the idea of having a wheel hanging off the back door, as i'm sure weve all seen the cracked framework it leads to!

have you thought about a roofrack mount?

would go against the bonnet idea
-does block your vision
-makes bonnet operation tricky
-engine generates heat, which isnt getting away as quick nor is it paticularly good for your spare (fiat panda syndrome!)
-do you have room/want to risk a bonnet sitting round getting damaged/pinched!

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline kevinf

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 12:33:12 »
hi thanks for the feed back

just to clarify when the 110 goes on trips that justify carrying two spares theres no room inside the vehicle after the wife,kids and the necessary camping gear etc
also  i am trying to put off using the roof rack for as long as possible

cheers kevin
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 23:52:08 »
What about one of those twin racks slung form the rear cross member?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

diesel_jim

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 21:04:25 »
Where is the rule that says the bonnet mounted spare is illegal?????    :roll: :roll:

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 08:50:42 »
there isnt one

Likes to eat badgers

diesel_jim

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 10:56:38 »
there isnt one

I thought as much. I suspect that LR realised that "most" people don't like having the bonnet mounted spare (for when they're being used as a regular "car") and as such re-designed the Td5 bonnet to a) be lighter and b) give a little more clearance over the plastic engine cover.

We all know the story on the Td4 engine hence the "power" bulge.

plenty of rovers do have a bonnet mounted spare, and they don't overheat or cause the owners to have hernias when they open it up  :D :D :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal