AuthorTopic: Worrying weave!  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Bikermutt

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • When I rule the world... PANIC!
  • Referrals: 0
Worrying weave!
« on: September 30, 2010, 20:50:26 »
Hey all,
This is my first post outside of the newbie section. I have just put some new wheels on my Discovery 200TDi with Bronco Grizzly Claws & the steering has now developed a mindn of its own over 45 MPH, just seems to weave all over the road! To keep you informed, the previous tyres were road orientated Michelins  the suspension has a 2" lift. Anybody experienced similar symptoms?

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Re: Worrying weave!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 21:50:52 »
I would guess that the lift has upset the steering castor angle - I know people say that you can do a 2" lift without needing castor corrected swivel housings (or radius arms, but I'd rather change the swivels as I've heard of a few failures of aftermarket arms) but from my brief experience of HD springs it is noticeable. On standard springs it feels much more settled.

The tyres may well make it wander a bit, my Insa Turbo Dakars are vague and understeery in corners compared to the BFG A/Ts I had before. You do get used to it and it improved a lot once I got rid of the HD springs in favour of standard ones.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 22:01:29 »
If you swap the swivels then get the Tomcat Motorsport ones that are castor corrected from new.  I've heard about QT arms failing but mine have been fine and TBH I think that fitting catsor corrected arms solves more problems than just the castro angle.

Plan C, the chepaest option is ofset polybushes, though they do restrict a bit of body roll.  Good on road, bad off it.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bikermutt

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 13:53:03 »
Thanks for the advice, I have since put my old tyres & wheels back on & it is fine again so defo a tyre issue! Am suprised at how much difference the tyre change has made, all I can think is that I have duff tyres!

Offline topless matt

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 15:29:29 »
Well, i can tell you now, it is def the grizzley claws....absolutly shocking tyre on the road.
Mine had a mind of their own and i put up with it until 3 delaminated on the same 50 mile journey......never buy bronco tyres again!
300tdi, southdown snorkle, tubular bumper, tds winch with dyneema, tree sliders, 6 spotlights, creepy crawler tyres, 2" lift, dislocation cones, dropped mounts all round, wide angle propshafts, mud dash, bucket seats

Likes to eat badgers

Offline Bikermutt

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 15:45:58 »
Many thanks Matt, I will get shut of them sharpish. Any recommendations chaps? I hear good things about the Insta Turbos. Ideally looking for 235/70 R16 tyres to get best on road / off road combo. Thought about taller profiles to increase ground clearance but unsure of stability issues & also I tow a small caravan 3 to 5 times a year.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 01:13:43 »
Small caravn? go for 235/85 16 with a modest lift.  Lifted springs should be stiffer anyway and if you drive sensibly (the speed limit with a 'van is 60) then you can tow quite safely (though the tyres limit the pulling power a tad).

Been there, done that, caqn assure you it's fine.  I bought BFG muds which are a well made tyre, not the best grip off-road but a good tyre.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline andyhubbard

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 06:16:41 »
Too late again (as usual) but i was going to suggest the tyres, i had a 90 that came with grizzly claws on and swapped them within 2 weeks and same problem solved.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 08:42:39 »
Exercise extreme caution with Insa Turbos, I had one blowout within four days of fitting them and another one delaminate within six months. They also lose tyre pressure over time and you need to keep a close eye on them.

Others love them, but I'm after Kumho KL71s next time. 

Offline lurch_917

Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 07:12:17 »
bronco tyers there is a bad post about them on here some where loads of court casses . insa turbo i ran special tracks for 4 years not a problem the brother in law had the dakars and they were scrap after 7 months found out the specials were molded on bfg carcasses and the dakars on joe blogs throw aways
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 08:29:46 »
That would explain a lot!  :twisted:

Not a fan of remoulds now after having a roughly 3" square hole in a sidewall (while driving normally on road, luckily it happened at fairly low speed) and finding the tread blocks on another tyre attempting to part company with the carcass. My local garage noticed the latter while I was having something else sorted, the week before I'd been doing 70mph on it (well within their rated speed)...

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 10:15:30 »
I have Cooper Discover STT and they are a good tire. 
1996 Discovery 300TDi Affectionately known as Clover. 
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,
Fine English engineering modified to work!

Offline Bikermutt

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 20:04:48 »
Big cheers to you all. I am sticking with my Michelins for now until I can F Goodrich A/Ts. Gonna swap the michelins from my standard alloys to steel weller wheels to give her a better stance in the meantime as they seem to sit wider under the arches & will hopefully make it feel a little more stable.

Cheers for all advice chaps.

Offline lurch_917

Attack Member
  • hi all hows it going
    • kettering
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 01:22:54 »
I have Cooper Discover STT and they are a good tire. 

i agree with you on that clover i swapped from my special tracks to these and what a differance on road i can hear my stereo off road not quite as good as the special tracks but still awsome
As a youth I could run up and down stairs all day now I'm older it takes me all day just to walk upstairs

Offline Bikermutt

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 23:22:10 »
Just bought a set of part worn Colway C-Trax MT 235 85 R16 tyres. hope they do the trick, any feedback on these tyres would be appreciated.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 23:50:01 »
Not the worst remoulds, but still remoulds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal