AuthorTopic: tubed tyres--tubeless rims  (Read 1801 times)

Offline soggytomato

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
tubed tyres--tubeless rims
« on: September 28, 2010, 08:13:10 »
hi all

just done a search but couldnt find wot i was looking for

i've been offered some avon rangemaster tube type tyres for a bargain price(fitted to s3 lwb tubed rims). will i be able to fit these to disco steel wheels without tubes or will i have to have tubes.
i want to keep the disco rims if possible as they have been reversed so i still get full steering lock with no stops fitted on 235/85 and 750's
any help/advise/sarcasm etc appreciated
she's a bit tempermental but aren't we all!!!

Offline bobtailed disco

Attack Member
Re: tubed tyres--tubeless rims
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:32:34 »
I am gessing you will have to put tubes in them as there is no sealing beed but dont quote me on that.
I made the mistake in putting a tube in a tubless and it popped the tube.

Sure someone whe no's will be on later

cheers rob

Offline HiQ Lee

Attack Member
    • kenilworth
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 19:33:47 »
You will have to put the tubes back in because the tyres are marked tube type and you might need to change the tubes as the series wheels have a different size valve hole compared to the disco wheels,also before you refit the tubes it is best to put some talc inside the tyres as it stops the tube from rubbing/sticking to the inside of the tyre..hope this helps as it is the trade I'm in.    Lee
Defender 200tdi
Discovery2 v8

Offline soggytomato

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 13:52:57 »
You will have to put the tubes back in because the tyres are marked tube type and you might need to change the tubes as the series wheels have a different size valve hole compared to the disco wheels,also before you refit the tubes it is best to put some talc inside the tyres as it stops the tube from rubbing/sticking to the inside of the tyre..hope this helps as it is the trade I'm in.    Lee

thanx for that mate-found an independant tyre place near me who told me the same thing. dont think i'm gonna bother with em now and stick to the tyres i've got and spend the cash on something else!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 21:40:38 »
That's the best bet as it's a no-go.  Tubed tyres should be smooth on the inside whereas tubless will often have ribs.  I don't know why they are there but they wear through the tubes.

Likewise tubeless rims have to be very smooth on the inside with a flat profile, i know the old split rims fitted to SII (MOD?) had to have a heavy rubber spat over the rim to protect the tube.

Basically mixing tubed and tubless parts is not adviseable if not illegal.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline soggytomato

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 15:28:10 »
yeah, definately gonna stick with tubeless tyres now as i need to keep my disco rims.

found some michelin xzy's that are tubeless and almost identical to the rangemasters in tread pattern but dont know anything about em!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 22:15:05 »
Michelins, as long as they havn't reached their sell by date will be good tyres.  A bit like buying an IBM PC, no-one ever got fired for buying them.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal